I absolutely adore my strat (it's my only legitimately good guitar), but I find the neck a bit disappointing. It sounds good from 3-7 first finger positions, and actually, almost all positions. But the 12th fret notes, and some other notes (g string 12th fret the most), it just sounds bad. I would describe the sound as hollow, or in kindof a U or O shape (I have synethstesia). I just find the sound to be bad, but it is good for those bluesy leads with Am pentatonics (you know what I'm talking about), or really just anything that DOESN'T have the 12th fret notes. I think the 3rd fret on the B string is like that, but barely. The E isn't very bad either (neither one is bad on the 12th fret). Is there a reason to this? Pickup placement or something?
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
have you had your guitar set up for proper playing and intonation? strats have what i also call a hollow sound so you kind of have to expect that. part of your problem is that you only have a single tone control on your amp. i play a fair bit on the neck pickup so my amp is EQ'd with that in mind. 
Hollow? Imagine that.  Some like to call it clean or whatever, Kinda the reason I don't own a Strat,  Different strokes for different folks I suppose,  Your young and this is a long journey, You've just started yours and I can promise there will be many a mule pulling the carts before its finished,   The road and the driver stays the same the cart and mule, Not so much, 
Quote by nastytroll
Hollow? Imagine that.  Some like to call it clean or whatever, Kinda the reason I don't own a Strat,  Different strokes for different folks I suppose,  Your young and this is a long journey, You've just started yours and I can promise there will be many a mule pulling the carts before its finished,   The road and the driver stays the same the cart and mule, Not so much, 

well clean sound is a clean sound. the hollow part tends to be when you use distortion. the sound isn't full like a humbucker and for a lack of a better term sounds hollow. 

agree about the journey thing 
+1 to monwobobbo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by monwobobbo
well clean sound is a clean sound. the hollow part tends to be when you use distortion. the sound isn't full like a humbucker and for a lack of a better term sounds hollow. 

agree about the journey thing 

The hollow sound is actually really only when I play clean or mildly overdriven. I honestly have no idea how to describe it, I just really hate the tone of the neck on those notes. The tone is just off, but it really is just certain frets.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I think I understand what you mean by it sounding sort of like a U or O shape... If I look at it from the perspective of a saxophone player

It could be an issue with the pickup height setting on the neck pickup -  maybe try lowering it a little, by turning those screws either side of it counter-clockwise? just a small adjustment could be all that's needed - half or quarter of a full rotation on both sides, for example.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Hmmm, I would normally attribute something sounding "hollow" to scooped mids, though I could also see where someone could say the pickup on my MIM Strat sounds "hollow" because of its round, deep low end. It will be hard to definitely diagnose what your issue is without hearing/playing your setup.

The Micro Terror, like some other Orange models, has the single-tone knob for EQ, and if it works in the same manner of other Orange amps with this feature (and I'm not 100% sure that it does, I suggest checking on this)  then you'll boost mids while cutting back highs and lows when the knob is turned toward the left (from the mid-point) and conversely you'll boost highs/lows and cut mids when turning the knob toward the right. The dirty channel on the TH30 I use has this, and I've found I generally like that knob to sit somewhere between "9 o'clock" and "11 o'clock" on the knob.

I'm not sure what pickups are in your guitar, but this could just simply mean your ear for tone is developing and you're realizing these pickups might not be exactly the voicing you'd like. There are plenty of pickup options out there, and there are even some that are pretty good pickups at a budget price (GFS, for instance, makes some pretty good quality pickups at very cheap prices) so it wouldn't hurt to start investigating what other pickup options are out there.

Oh, also, could you tell us if you notice this same issue when playing unplugged?

And nice Salazzle avvy!
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by gogiregion
I absolutely adore my strat (it's my only legitimately good guitar), but I find the neck a bit disappointing. It sounds good from 3-7 first finger positions, and actually, almost all positions. But the 12th fret notes, and some other notes (g string 12th fret the most), it just sounds bad. I would describe the sound as hollow, or in kindof a U or O shape (I have synethstesia). I just find the sound to be bad, but it is good for those bluesy leads with Am pentatonics (you know what I'm talking about), or really just anything that DOESN'T have the 12th fret notes. I think the 3rd fret on the B string is like that, but barely. The E isn't very bad either (neither one is bad on the 12th fret). Is there a reason to this? Pickup placement or something?

start with a professional setup - that's the easiest fix if it's the issue.  If that doesn't work then it's more likely a guitar amp problem then a guitar pickup problem.  A great amp will sound balanced throughout, a mediocre amp will sound unbalanced depending on the notes played.  You could try re adjusting your EQ or settings to see if that improves things.  If you're using a modeler, try using different models/cabs etc. to find one with a better balance. 
Quote by sjones
Hmmm, I would normally attribute something sounding "hollow" to scooped mids, though I could also see where someone could say the pickup on my MIM Strat sounds "hollow" because of its round, deep low end. It will be hard to definitely diagnose what your issue is without hearing/playing your setup.

The Micro Terror, like some other Orange models, has the single-tone knob for EQ, and if it works in the same manner of other Orange amps with this feature (and I'm not 100% sure that it does, I suggest checking on this)  then you'll boost mids while cutting back highs and lows when the knob is turned toward the left (from the mid-point) and conversely you'll boost highs/lows and cut mids when turning the knob toward the right. The dirty channel on the TH30 I use has this, and I've found I generally like that knob to sit somewhere between "9 o'clock" and "11 o'clock" on the knob.

I'm not sure what pickups are in your guitar, but this could just simply mean your ear for tone is developing and you're realizing these pickups might not be exactly the voicing you'd like. There are plenty of pickup options out there, and there are even some that are pretty good pickups at a budget price (GFS, for instance, makes some pretty good quality pickups at very cheap prices) so it wouldn't hurt to start investigating what other pickup options are out there.

Oh, also, could you tell us if you notice this same issue when playing unplugged?

And nice Salazzle avvy!

It's more of a trbble boost/cut knob with 12:00 being nuetral, and going up boosts the trebble (which also drives the preamp more, too), and lowering it makes it bassy. It's not like a shape knob (the Micro Dark does have that though). I'll see if I can post a video later. I'll probably post an unlisted YouTube video or something and give the link.

gogiregion Ahhh, I think you're right. I have/had a Micro but the power switch broke when it took a small tumble and I just haven't bothered to get it fixed. I thought it might have worked differently than the other single-knob Oranges.

FWIW, I think they're cool little amps that are great if you can't afford a small, low wattage tube amp and don't want to deal with modellers.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by sjones
gogiregion Ahhh, I think you're right. I have/had a Micro but the power switch broke when it took a small tumble and I just haven't bothered to get it fixed. I thought it might have worked differently than the other single-knob Oranges.

FWIW, I think they're cool little amps that are great if you can't afford a small, low wattage tube amp and don't want to deal with modellers.

Yeah. The dark has what you described. I think I might end up buying a full Tiny Terror next (a full tube version with more gain). Then I'll try and save up a crap ton to get a Rockerverb MKIII which has the 25 watt switch, and a built in attenuator, which would be SUPER usefull, though I've heard that it sucks with cleans.

well i'm kinda hearing some technique issues more than anything. better fretting and making sure it's in tune will help with that. otherwise it sounds like a strat
Quote by monwobobbo
well i'm kinda hearing some technique issues more than anything. better fretting and making sure it's in tune will help with that. otherwise it sounds like a strat

I just plugged in and didn't really try to make it sound good. I definitely could've tuned it and played better. I actually expected that as something someone commented on.

Anyways, huh, I guess I just don't like the tone of the neck on those frets. It's not as big of a deal when in a song or with gain (which probably evens out the EQ a bit), especially when playing faster. For slow clean stuff, I hate those frets.

gogiregion   tough to hear problems when it's not in tune. lesson learned i hope. as you learn to play better i think you'll find those notes work better. a strat has a certain sound so you have to learn to work with it to get the most out of it. strats are very unforgiving but when played well they give big rewards. 
Quote by monwobobbo
gogiregion   tough to hear problems when it's not in tune. lesson learned i hope. as you learn to play better i think you'll find those notes work better. a strat has a certain sound so you have to learn to work with it to get the most out of it. strats are very unforgiving but when played well they give big rewards. 

That might help. With 9s and a flating bridge, usually I don't care too much about perfect tuning (although I will admit, I played it yesterday at a bar with my friends since someone in a group I'm in works there, and didn't tune it after being put in the car). Normally I keep the thing better tuned! And yeah, I still don't regret my decision, even if I don't like a couple frets. If I want to hit those notes, I just use a different string, because the tone is different. It's really weird. I have really grown fond of it's bridge pickup, even if I'm the only one. The bridge pickup is SUPER hot though, so it isn't piercingly bright. Switching to it is like kicking on a treble booster, increases volume and treble response, plus being so hot it has more mids, and I love my midrange!

gogiregion  i use my bridge pup all the time. amp is just set so it isn't so bright.  proper tuning is important so get in the habit of keeping it in tune and being able to hear when it's not. believe me it's critical when recording and helps a great deal when playing live. 
First thing, of course is tuning...

Second, you should lower the pickups...  a lot! That hollow sound is the sound of pickups way too close to the strings.  You should be able to lower them almost flush with the pick guard... if you set them with less elevation above the pick guard than the thickness of a nickel be careful - keep one finger pressing against the side of the pickup so if you reach the end of the screw the pickup won't just drop into the body cavity without you being able to raise it back up a little.

Play, listen, lower a little bit, repeat... until the tone changes away from the hollow sound.

Third, you are picking really hard... you never have to do that, and shouldn't. Play gently, nice and easy. When you pick hard the string does not set up into vibration properly and a lot of its energy is damped in its struggle to establish its waveform (transition from envelop attack to sustain). Gentle picking lets the string set up its waveform with minimal damping losses. This is very important for clean playing.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Quote by PlusPaul

Second, you should lower the pickups...  a lot! That hollow sound is the sound of pickups way too close to the strings.  You should be able to lower them almost flush with the pick guard... if you set them with less elevation above the pick guard than the thickness of a nickel be careful - keep one finger pressing against the side of the pickup so if you reach the end of the screw the pickup won't just drop into the body cavity without you being able to raise it back up a little.

Play, listen, lower a little bit, repeat... until the tone changes away from the hollow sound.

Third, you are picking really hard... you never have to do that, and shouldn't. Play gently, nice and easy. When you pick hard the string does not set up into vibration properly and a lot of its energy is damped in its struggle to establish its waveform (transition from envelop attack to sustain). Gentle picking lets the string set up its waveform with minimal damping losses. This is very important for clean playing.

Pretty much agree with everything said here, this is pretty sound advice. Although it goes without saying, the thicker gauge strings you use, the harder you will have to pick.

I wouldn't lower the pickups evenly though. I'd keep the pickup towards the GBE string slightly more elevated than the half of the pickup closer to the EAD strings. Give me a minute, I will post a picture of my pickup height.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Last edited by NewDayHappy at Apr 14, 2017,
Wont let me post images on the site, not sure if it's because I was recently banned but the links down below will give you an idea as to what your pickup height should look like.

https://h46i.imgup.net/IMG_201704719c.jpg

https://t20i.imgup.net/IMG_2017040b69.jpg
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Last edited by NewDayHappy at Apr 15, 2017,
Quote by monwobobbo
gogiregion  i use my bridge pup all the time. amp is just set so it isn't so bright.  proper tuning is important so get in the habit of keeping it in tune and being able to hear when it's not. believe me it's critical when recording and helps a great deal when playing live. 

Like I said, I normally keep it in tune.
Quote by PlusPaul

Should I lower my pickups? Huh. That might be it. Should I lower all of them? I like the sound of all but the neck pickup, but I don't want the neck to be too much quieter. I guess I can just raise it if I need to.

Okay. I lowered the pickups, and it sounds way better. Thanks for the replies! It's not perfect, but nothing will ever be perfect.

It went from this:

I tried to post before and after pictures, but my phone was being stubborn.