Hi here forum!
It's quite common to see a progression from C to Am past the x20010 chord which can have many names. Do we have a general concensus on what it is?

Some kind of Bm with flat 6 and flat 9th? A Cmaj9/B? An Em7b13? D9sus4/B? Anything else?

Thoughts?
copperwreck
I'd definitely go with Cmaj9/B. That and Em7b13(/B) are the only ones which contain a complete 1 3 5 triad, and the Cmaj9 is a simpler form / the 9th extension comes before the b13. Or you could have Gmaj6add11/B I suppose.
Alternatively, better to use G/B x2003x or x20033 there to avoid confusion
It's functioning as a G chord in x32010-chord-x02210 and the other way around, and the C and E may function as pedal tones, not necessarily part of the chord

I'd prefer
G6add11/B
NeoMvsEu
Yeah, I'm liking that more now actually. As I remembered (or you reminded me) you don't need to state the maj in a 6 chord, plus it's like a substitute for the more common G/B used there.
That's a good point! I think you've swayed me. But if it functions as a variation of G, it could be a variation of it's parallell minor as well, right?
(So it's either a progression of I -> V -> vi or it's I -> iii -> vi, kinda.)

Edit: relative minor! Not parallel
Last edited by copperwreck at Apr 14, 2017,
Quote by copperwreck
That's a good point! I think you've swayed me. But if it functions as a variation of G, it could be a variation of it's parallell minor as well, right?
It would probably work better if the E were lower in the stack -> x22533 emphasizes the E more from the bass perspective (although there's stronger clash), also 77058(0)

Plus when going Am-chord-C ("the other way around"), it functions much more clearly as vi-V-I and not vi-iii-I

Notes gain more emphasis on the bass end, pretty much
Quote by copperwreck

It's never too early to get to know the difference between parallel and relative minors.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
It's never too early to get to know the difference between parallel and relative minors.

Nor too late. I don't know why I confuse the two!

Thanks.