Guys I need some advice.

I'm looking into buying a JCM 800 for my new band. Rock and Roll band. Huge 80's guitars but with psychedelic and rockabilly vibes as well so I'm going to want some velvety cleans. Do I buy the two channel 800 or do I run a classic 800 2203 and use an SD-1 or a DS-1 to get my tone rocking and tap off to go back to my cleans! Help... gear noob here. 
I'd say two-channel. The 80's guitar sound was not gotten by slamming a clean JCM with a pedal, but rather slamming a gainy JCM even further with a pedal. Even more typically I would say, "clean" sounds were gotten by reducing the guitar's volume when played into a gainy amp.
Agreed.  A JCM was meant to be run dirty.  Roll back your guitar volume for the cleans, but don't set the amp to clean.  That would be a waste.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
buy a splawn quickrod
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
To be honest?  This site pops up with the same old posters with the same old opinions on the same old amps everytime someone asks the same old question,  In reality the amp you choose is just a matter of trial and error,  in the end  its just preference,   So with that in mind be it Mesa, Peavey, Marshall or whatever does it really matter?  You like or you don't,   Ask about guitars and you get the same answer,  The preference of someone else,  Follow your own path and make your own sound,  After all its what this is all about if you really think about it, 
Last edited by nastytroll at Apr 13, 2017,
Quote by nastytroll
To be honest?  This site pops up with the same old posters with the same old opinions on the same old amps everytime someone asks the same old question,  In reality the amp you choose is just a matter of trial and error,  in the end  its just preference,   So with that in mind be it Mesa, Peavey, Marshall or whatever does it really matter?  You like or you don't,   Ask about guitars and you get the same answer,  The preference of someone else,  Follow your own path and make your own sound,  After all its what this is all about if you really think about it, 

Lolnah. There is a degree of objectivity when it comes to amps and nailing certain tones. If you have a Vox AC30, you're never going to get it to sound like a 5150 and if you did, you'd need to add so many additional pedals, do so many mods and use an entirely different cabinet that what you'd be left with would be so far detached from what you started with that it wouldn't be considered a Vox AC30 anymore.

Boosting a JCM800 with a tubescreamer is a quintessential setup for an 80's glam rock tone. Or if you have serious money to burn, a Soldano SLO.

If you want super smooth cleans, buy a Roland JC120. 'Clean' doesn't appear in the JCM800's dictionary.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Lolnah.  There is a degree of objectivity when it comes to amps and nailing certain tones. If you have a Vox AC30, you're never going to get it to sound like a 5150 and if you did, you'd need to add so many additional pedals, do so many mods and use an entirely different cabinet that what you'd be left with would be so far detached from what you started with that it wouldn't be considered a Vox AC30 anymore.

Boosting a JCM800 with a tubescreamer is a quintessential setup for an 80's glam rock tone. Or if you have serious money to burn, a Soldano SLO.

If you want super smooth cleans, buy a Roland JC120. 'Clean' doesn't appear in the JCM800's dictionary.

I understand your point, and yes there is some common sense needed and asking for advice does help,  Obviously you wouldn't want a Twin Reverb if playing Satanic Death Metal,  although in this case the OP is looking for velvety cleans through a JCM800,  Which ok, Good luck with that,  But for all we know he might find and like what he considers a velvety clean tone with it,  But then again he wont know until he tries it,   Its not as if you or me haven't done stranger shit over the years,  I know I have,  Also the Gear Noob here thing lends itself to, Oh its a Marshall and I've heard of them so it must be good, so what do you guys think raises some red flags for me, In which case I generally suggest trying out as many amps as you can so you become less of a noob, and perhaps even develop a preference of your own,   I had a JCM800  2203 many years ago, Thought it was cool at first but it fell from preference so I horse traded it.  Thing was a one trick pony if you want my opinion today 
Last edited by nastytroll at Apr 14, 2017,
Friedmza

Consider this:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I agree with you, but just to point out in case anyone reading isn't aware- there are cheaper options, too. Jet City is the obvious cheaper soldano, for example. And there are cheaper JCM800 clones and hot-rodded JCM800 type amps, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?