Hey guys,

So this is pretty minor but it's kind of annoying me after playing my tele for a couple months and switching back to my sg.

When I change a string on my tele, it seems like I break it in, play a song, tune-up and it's solid. Sometimes it's even good after just breaking the string in.

With my SG, it takes much more breaking in, and usually 2 or more songs before a string is solidly tuned. 

Anyone else experience this? It's kind of minor, but it would honestly sway me a little towards my tele's direction... although not quite

ALSO, I've now realized I break a TON of strings. Sometimes I'll break a string 4-5 days after putting it on. That could mean, idk, 15 hours of playing. I play basically pure rhythm, and I know I have terrible technique and overly strong attack, but I was looking at a lot of forums with people saying they never break a string, or maybe after 1-2 months - seriously? 

Anyways, my question really, should I move up to 11's? I don't really bend. Will this help or is it mainly a technique thing or something else?

Also, I use .88 pick. I don't think that's too stiff but maybe it is. 

Thanks!
maybe straighter string pull on the tele?

yeah i hardly ever break strings and i bend a lot. it could be something sharp somewhere cutting your string.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't think it's mechanical I have 4 guitars and I do it on all of them :p

I saw a lot of people saying bending causes most tension, but idk, I think a strong attack with pretty fast playing is prob worse, hence the always breaking strings, ahah.

Thanks Dave_Mc 
I haven't broken a string in years (can't even remember how long). for strings I use 10's, medium picks (60mm) and I think am fairly aggressive at times. Sounds like you need to lighten up a bit. Heavier strings, lighter picks. 88mm is considered the top end of the medium scale and some sites say that 88mm is considered heavy. It also depends what material the pick is made of. Thickness alone is not the only way to judge.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I break a string once every 3 years or so and it is probably just a lousy string.  You don't mention which guitar or where the string breaks exactly but these are possible causes:

1- Sharp edge at the bridge or tail piece cutting the string.  File it smooth or replace with graphite saddles.
2- Sharp edge or binding at the nut.  File smooth or replace.
3. Sharp edge at the tuner or not winding strings correctly causing breakage.  I use 3 winds around the tuner and then thread it through the hole.  Strings never break there when done this way.

Next time a string breaks, do a little investigative work and identify the exact breaking point ( tuner/nut/bridge/tailpiece).  This will lead you to the problem.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 14, 2017,
Thanks for the replies guys.

So, it doesn't matter which guitar I use, this happens to me regardless, so I don't think it's a guitar issue. I just got some 11's and some .73 tortex's, I'm thinking that will make a pretty big difference.

I'm curious if there's someone that DOES break this many strings, or even close? Most people say they don't, but I feel like most of these guys play more classic rock type stuff and more lead. I play rhythm in I guess what would be considered a "punk band", so I'm really just banging out chords throughout every song. 

Really, 3 years? o.O I mean, I've almost never broken an acoustic string, but that seems crazy to me. Wouldn't you change them before 3 years anyways? I usually just swap out every 2-3 weeks regardless. 

That being said, I usually break strings at the bridge, never have at the nut really that I can think of, if that offers any insight.

Thanks again!
Oh, and I'll also say, 75% of the time it's my D string. I almost never break a low E, G,  or B. Sometimes A, high E and G, but tonssss of D's, doesn't matter which guitar.
If it's not specific to the guitar, I'd say youre on the right track by examining your playing style, along with maybe your pick thickness. I play exclusively with Tortex 1.14mm, and just broke a string for the first time in 7 years though....

with regards staying in tune, I've found every guitar is different really - my main guitar (Cort M600, if you're interested) never goes out of tune. I didn't play it for about 3 months and picked it up and it was still bang on. 
I have, however, developed some tricks over the last 13 or so years that have helped with restringing a guitar and keeping it in tune. 

1. Wash your hands before restringing! No sense getting the new strings overly oily. 
2. Once you've uncoiled them, before threading through the tail stop, gently pull them through your hand - this has to do with ensuring they are straight (picked it up form a guitar mag years ago).
3. Pull them through the tuner, then make a bend in the string about 1.5 inches after the tuner. Pull the string back so the bend is at the tuner whole, then wind from there. 
4. Once strung up and tuned, give each string a good pull up from between the pick ups. The re-tune. Repeat this until your pulling doesn't result in de-tuning. Also, always make sure your tuning from a flat upwards. If you go sharp, tune down until you are flat then tune up. 

These tricks have stood by me for a long time and seem to do the trick. 

One other thing - as your moving up to 11's, be sure and make sure the nut can accommodate them - if not, time to widen that nut. 

also, on both guitars, a bit of graphite powder( even sanded from a pencil) in the nut may help it to sit well and may help prevent breakage. 
If it happens across all guitars, I'd say its gotta be technique man. I have always hard and heavy, and I haven't broken strings since early on. It might be worth it to examine your playing and see if you could do something different.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Thanks for the help guys!

I follow your exact re-stringing and tuning up basically to a T darthbuttchin , I really think it's just my playing and too heavy of a pick. The more I think about it, I might go down from a .73 even more, I really think that's having an effect cuz my .88 really has no give. 

I think that this will be something I can fix on my own if I pay attention to it - I'm a long time piano player and moved to guitar 'bout 6 years ago... hopefully with some work I can figure it out.

I've actually had a few audio tech dudes mention my attack so makes sense.

Thanks again everyone
Quote by Rickholly74
I haven't broken a string in years (can't even remember how long). for strings I use 10's, medium picks (60mm) and I think am fairly aggressive at times. Sounds like you need to lighten up a bit. Heavier strings, lighter picks. 88mm is considered the top end of the medium scale and some sites say that 88mm is considered heavy. It also depends what material the pick is made of. Thickness alone is not the only way to judge.

I use 9s most of the time and 1.5mm picks and I rarely ever break a string either. And I'm not exactly religious about regularly changing my strings, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use a 3mm with a knife edge and I've never broken a string playing. Does it happen when you play on someone else's guitars? Unless you are a gorilla this shouldn't be happening
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
LOL, this is pretty funny. I really don't know guys. I mean I've never tried to play someone else's guitar for a long period, so it could also be a problem with my stringing as well, but I think it's just my playing :p lots of yelling and raucous, so sometimes it's just hard to not wail on my guitar, idk.

I still don't know how some of you guys have never broken a string, I've seen pros break strings live so idk how you've managed to do that, but I do believe you ahaha.
and @acousticmirror LOL!!! I am not a gorilla   but I am untrained on guitar and the style doesn't help ahahah

ANYHOW, thanks everyone, I think this can be considered case closed.

I have concluded that it is most certainly my shitty technique, and over the next 3 months I am determined to fix it. I think it will help my sound too.

Thanks!
could you post up a video of your picking?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cajundaddy
I break a string once every 3 years or so and it is probably just a lousy string.  

Ditto. And I'm using 9's and 10's and a 2mm acrylic pick (sharp-pointed Gravity Razer). 
I use 10s sometimes 11s with Heitfield 1.14 picks and I still break a string now and then, oddly enough when I play with my country/fiddle band trying to get a snappy sound.

I would think it's more to do with you attack then your string gauge and pick choice. Then again I haven't used anything lighter than a .88 pick in years so maybe I would break less strings if I did.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Quote by Yorkeson
and @acousticmirror LOL!!! I am not a gorilla   but I am untrained on guitar and the style doesn't help ahahah

ANYHOW, thanks everyone, I think this can be considered case closed.

I have concluded that it is most certainly my shitty technique, and over the next 3 months I am determined to fix it. I think it will help my sound too.

Thanks!

Maybe so but hey, as you said, there are pros who do it so...

Thats where all the tone is anyway, gotta dig in to squish all of it out.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
One cause of excessive string breaking is due to a burr somewhere, usually the bridge.
Is it possible that this same problem exists on both your guitars?
It is, but not real likely, although certainly worth a look. Only takes a few minutes.

Years ago (like back in the 80's), I broke strings on a regular basis (like they would never last more than a day or two), and I used 9's.
I'm fairly aggressive with the pick at times, and even with the .88 Tortex picks I have been using since the 80's, I broke strings, mainly the high E, but also the B, and the G.
I switched to 10's not long after that and have had very few strings breaking.

Billy Gibbons, Tom Scholz, BB King, Jimmy Page, and  many others use 8's or below.

Stevie Ray Vaughn used 11 to 13's though and he broke strings.