Hi. I tested, liked and brought the vox ac15c1 today. I mainly play alternative rock, indie rock like the strokes, red hot Chilli peppers, Arctic monkeys Tom petty and music like foo fighters nirvana. I want to play at home and small to medium sized gigs. I preferred the vox in store but should i have brought a Marshall or orange amp, or even the vox ac30 instead? I upgraded from the fender Mustang 2 so i think its at least better than that currently using American strat and Les Paul studio.
Last edited by cbaggottuk at Apr 14, 2017,
A nice gig rig for pubs and smaller shows.  I prefer to gig with quality small tube amps.  Need to play Glastonbury 2017?  Put a mic in front and run it through the house PA.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
In terms of "is it any good for this genre" as in the tones? I think the guitarists for every act you mentioned used/uses an AC30 at least part of the time, so you can 100% get suitable tones out of the AC15. You may need a little extra from a pedal here and there to nail a specific sound, but imo an AC15 is a great amp for that style of music. Marshall and Orange do make some amps that would also do that kind of sound well, but I really prefer a Vox voicing when I play in that vein.

As far as volume, Voxes are loud for the wattage. I have an AC10 (I only play at home), and cranked it will leave my ears ringing. An AC15 will be loud enough for small gigs and probably medium sized gigs as well, although how clean you can keep it at bigger shows would depend on how aggressive your drummer is. I can't imagine you would need an AC30 at smaller gigs. 
Yes it'll work very well for the styles you mentionned but next time you buy gear, make a thread like this BEFORE you buy the thing, instead of after you brought it home
The AC15 will have a nice sound to it for recording and it would potentially be a nice gigging amp as long as your indie band isn't oriented toward loud hardcore indie. So maybe not so much for Nirvana style music.

I had an AC30CX2 and the tremolo didn't last long on it. Just not a sturdy amp, as it turned out, even though it sounded great. I now have a blonde Fender Deluxe Reverb that I like a lot better , and Fenders, like Vox, are also used a lot in indie rock. If I really wanted a Vox-influenced sound, knowing what I know now, I might rather go with a Celestion speaker in a Fender amp, like in a Princeton, Deluxe, or Super Reverb - I think Johnny Marr has done that, along with changing out some of his tubes. The Jensen speakers that come in Fenders aren't quite as responsive as the Vox's Celestions, but the Jensens have, to me, a more beautiful sound. If I want my Jensen to overdrive easier, I have several good options in pedals for indie: Big Muff, Rat, and OCD. 

For a bar gigging amp for indie, the Roland Jazz Chorus comes in 40 and 120 watts, and that does really well with jangl-y, dreamy indie. Plus they are solid. Fender Hot Rods are very popular for  gigging rock players, also. You could even do one of those with an AC tone simulator pedal for pretty cheap. I would probably do a Fender, Vox, or Roland with an Indie band before I did a Marshall... But it depends on the style of indie, if you are doing Fugazi style stuff, Marshall will be nice. Another one for gigging if you are just starting out, I suppose, would be the Vox AC30VR. It's cheap.

As for your guitars, Fenders sound great through Fender amps. A Strat, I think is nicer through a Fender than through a Vox. Now, if you had a Tele, then I think it would be more of a toss up, because Teles are great through both. Another one that would be a toss up here is any Rickenbaker. For your Gibson, I think Fender over Vox.

I can't speak on Oranges. I don't know anyone who has an Orange.
Last edited by afdgdfa at Apr 29, 2017,