Wow, I got goosebumps watching that. Never realized how solid John Mayer is.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
meh big whoop another strat style guitar. Mayer is a good player when he wants to be but i'm not running out to replace my strats with that any time soon. 
unless the alder is John stained why not have a CE or a reclaim model 
reverb is also throwing stones at fender on behave of Paul whether intended or not 
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by monwobobbo
meh big whoop another strat style guitar. Mayer is a good player when he wants to be but i'm not running out to replace my strats with that any time soon. 
The only reason he's doing this is because he had a tiff with Fender, evidently the guy went for the next best thing to getting his endorsement back

Innovative design or no, though, I imagine it's a very nice guitar.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Do guitarists at that level actually negotiate gear deals personally, or is that something their agents, managers, and other entourage people handle? 
gerdnerthey probably want more than they deserve to fulfil their entitlement complex. I wish more companies would stop feeding the egos of these millionaires and spend more time supporting other artists.
Quote by gerdner
Do guitarists at that level actually negotiate gear deals personally? 

as far as the specs of what he wants on the guitar, i'm sure john and paul spoke in detail. as far as negotiating the deal? i have no clue.
Quote by gerdner
Do guitarists at that level actually negotiate gear deals personally, or is that something their agents, managers, and other entourage people handle? 

Generally, it's the guitarist that picks what he wants to play and points his agent at the company to see what he can do. 
The other scenario is when a company aggressively wants a particular performer on their roster; they'll pursue the artist while dealing through the agent. 

Neal Schon, for example, has been back and forth with PRS several times during his career (I think he's currently back there), but has played Gibson LPs a lot. About 10 years ago he had them build a sig guitar based loosely on the dommenguts he'd been playing, and it had spaced controls, a Floyd, some very specific electronics and a smooth neck heel. Gibson picked up on the neck heel and started producing the Axcess, which pissed off Schon. The initial "pilot" run of guitars (numbering somewhere between 35 and 90, depending on who you talk to) was spectacular and sold out in hours, even though the MSRP was $10K. Nearly impossible to find an owner willing to release his grip on one, and Gibson will absolutely refuse to build you another at any price. 

Schon left Gibson, played Yamahas and Tom Andersons for a bit, pulled out one of his old "Schon" branded guitars, played his other guitars and eventually settled back in with PRS. Gary Brawer, well-known tech in San Francisco, set up each of them with Schon's preference of electronics and gizmos (sustainers, preferred pickups, etc.) and still does so with the PRS guitars. Schon and Paul are old friends, of course, but you can bet that it was an agent that hammered out the deal.
Quote by BeefDrapes
gerdnerthey probably want more than they deserve to fulfil their entitlement complex. I wish more companies would stop feeding the egos of these millionaires and spend more time supporting other artists.

They don't exist to "support artists."  

Artists have fans (including guitarists) who buy guitars according to what that fandom dictates. That makes the manufacturers money. End of story. 
Actually that is their entire business. Sell a product that gives an artist the sound they want. That is support no matter how you cut it. Although financial support you are correct.
Quote by BeefDrapes
Actually that is their entire business. Sell a product that gives an artist the sound they want. That is support no matter how you cut  it. Although financial support you are correct.

In terms of "stop feeding the egos of these millionaires and spend more time supporting other artists," however... 

It starts with the guitar hero who gets popular, records, makes millions and has all the women. Newbs want all that stuff, so they want to sound like the guitar hero. They aren't going to, because they can't afford all the stuff that makes him sound like him on recordings and live, but manufacturers sell gear that looks the same and sort of mimicks that sound. Better yet if they've got his name on it.

Whatever they pay that guitar hero in endorsement money, advertising, etc.,  is included in the sell price of whatever that guitar/amp/FX piece is. In short, you pay for your own brain-washing that gets you to buy the product.  If you want to call that "support," I'm sure every manufacturer on the planet is dying to "support" you. 
I will cede that point. However it's the ones who want it their own way who drive everything forward. Without those people we wouldnt have some of the great music we have had over the centuries. We would all be listening to people banging sticks with rocks.
shouldn't a JM sig guitar come with someone's panties dangling from the headstock?

i'm sorry, carry on.
Quote by gregs1020
shouldn't a JM sig guitar come with someone's panties dangling from the headstock?  

Most of his girlfriends don't wear them. 

And when they do....well, as one old girlfriend pointed out to me, "You don't throw your La Perla before swine." 

biblical reference: https://www.google.com/search?q=don%27t+throw+pearls+to+swine+meaning&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 17, 2017,
Quote by BeefDrapes
I will cede that point. However it's the ones who want it their own way who drive everything forward. Without those people we wouldnt have some of the great music we have had over the centuries. We would all be listening to people banging sticks with rocks.

Absolutely agree. 

I had a studio in The Brewery in downtown LA for a long time. Kept running into this very quiet, skinny guy paying his rent in the office every month. We got to talking, and he said he was a guitar player, so I invited him over. I had no idea whatever who he was -- Allan Holdsworth (who just died). After that he'd drop over every blue moon, grab a guitar, noodle for a while and watch whatever we had going on and tell evil, dry British jokes. He's the one who talked Carvin into building a headless guitar. 
Quote by gregs1020

i'm sorry, carry on.
What he could really use is a pacifier to keep him from saying things. He doesn't seem to do too well with that.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
oh i'm sure. could be pretty cool. i like my non-fender strats though so i'm probably not their target market.

what's funny about this is, i made a troll thread years ago saying that he switched to PRS. i think the thread got closed/deleted, i tried to find it but failed.

but it's actually happened.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 17, 2017,
Quote by gregs1020
oh i'm sure.  could be pretty cool.  i like my non-fender strats though so i'm probably not their target market.  

what's funny about this is, i made a troll thread years ago saying that he switched to PRS.  i think the thread got closed/deleted, i tried to find it but failed.  

but it's actually happened.

He saw this thread and decided to troll you in answer, then he deleted thread, so no one will believe you.  
Quote by gregs1020
dspellman only the day after Easter and you, a biblical reference for panty comment.  

I'm a recovering Catholic, the product of a Catholic grade school (Sister Mary Easter Candle was always half lit), an all-boys Jesuit boarding school during my Wonder Bread years ("He really should have the discipline" became "C'mon, son, I'll teach you how a *real* irishman drinks") and Catholic college (for my first degree). 
Four years of Latin, two years of Attic (Homeric) Greek, and I can tell you what the Bible *really* said in Aramaic before they got at it. hacking away,  trying to re-interpret it in a kinder, gentler way.  Feh.

I can take down a crowd of Jehovah's Witnesses at 50 paces. 
I have a Master's degree in Thumping. 

NO real religious offense intended, please, and if so, I'm an equal opportunity offender. 
It was my life, and viewers should know there are graphic depictions available for an extra fee. 
Don't get me started on Mormon girls and this whole "no sex before marriage" thing. 
They've raised the art of the tease to an explosive level; we should drop post-date males on North Korea. 
I'm here all night, please be sure to tip your waitresses; they're raising my children, all of whom have "special needs." 
Like food. 
Sheesh. 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
The only reason he's doing this is because he had a tiff with Fender, evidently the guy went for the next best thing to getting his endorsement back

Innovative design or no, though, I imagine it's a very nice guitar.

Doubtful, PRS probably simply offered him a ton of money to switch over and be an exclusive endroser. It's big deal for them if they want to start making single coil type guitars. Plus he has a signature amp now from PRS as well.

I'm sure the guitar is great, but the prices will be ridiculous.
Quote by reverb66
Doubtful, PRS probably simply offered him a ton of money to switch over and be an exclusive endroser. It's big deal for them if they want to start making single coil type guitars. Plus he has a signature amp now from PRS as well.

I'm sure the guitar is great, but the prices will be ridiculous.

I think Paul already prides himself in making his pickups to have single coil qualities.
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Antimage27
I think Paul already prides himself in making his pickups to have single coil qualities.

He can pride himself all he wants, there's still a big difference. 
Quote by reverb66
Yeah, I was being at least somewhat facetious That said, given that he split with Fender supposedly because of the company rather than the instruments (according to his tweets on the subject before tempers cooled, anyway - he is still using Fenders, too), I doubt he'd have taken an endorsement for guitars with anyone not willing to make him a Strat.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
the strat is a great platform to build on, said eddie van halen. probably.

the prs forums have been analyzing photos of the guitar JM is playing down to the reverse headstock, wider cutaway, knobs, saddles, etc. if that guitar became the sig, it would be very different from the SSS guitars prs has made to date.
If artist and manufacturer coming together leads to that manufacturer branching out in a slightly new direction, that's pretty cool, whoever the parties are, so I'm interested.