Especially fuzz in front. I'm a pedal guy and I already sold a great sounding Kustom 50W all tube amp because all of my pedals sounded like broken shiiiiiiet. I used to use solid-state Crate and it sounded really good.

So how about BOSS Katana 100?
It greatly depends on the fuzz pedal you have and how much gain you're driving the signal with. Many solid state pedals don't like having their preamp being pushed too hard and can go into hard clipping, which sounds awful.

Why not buy another tube amp?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Simple: Besides the "sound" thing they are awful in every way. Expensive to buy and to maintain. Fragile as fuck. Unreliable as hell. And even the sound argument is a myth. And even if the signal clipping thing with the SS amps is true, it's only with the cheap ones, like most 15W "your first amp" things. 

I have a Green Russian clone, modded fuzz factory, Fat Sandwich with the fuzz mode ON, and Krank's Distortus Maximus and on my solid-state they all sound just... how they supposed to. Just that. BUT plugged into VOX AC30, or that Kustom they all sound like a bad, small, cheap solid-state amp with a preamp pushed into hard clipping. Ironic isn't it? Fizzy, no lows (no matter how much bass I turned on that Kustom, and it is bassy I tell you), and mids are all over the place. I know that this is the problem with most "open sounding", glass/bell like amps. Big Muff into Marshall sounds normal. So...
My question is: Does Katana makes big muff sounds like a thin can into an old cassett player, or a Marshall?
I have a Katana 100. The 55 effects available for the Katana on the Boss Tone Central site cover everything I can even imagine. I'm not a fuzz person, I had enough of that fizzy mess in the late 60's and 70's when I started playing and there were no overdrive pedals. The Katana works well with the BOSS effects internally and there is an effects loop if you need to try something else externally. Remember that the Katana is not a modeling amp. It is an amp with it's own sound. Because it has a lot of effects available I see some people thinking that the Katana is a modeling amp. It isn't. It doesn't attempt to reproduce the sound of any other amp like my VOX VT series.  My two VOX VT's are modeling amps. The Katana doesn't sound like a Marshall, a Fender, a Blackstar or anything other than a Katana. It's a great sounding amp by itself that has the ability to download pedal effects free from the BOSS Tone Central site.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 15, 2017,
No opinion on the Katana, but I know that Quilter solid state amps can definitely take pedals well.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Lot's of good points : ). I'm interested in it for two reasons. It's unexpensive and SIMPLE. The fact that it sounds good is besides the point, I wouldn't look at anything that doesn't anyway. BUT I don't have this amp available to play around nowhere yet. The problem is it seems like almost no one on the internet is using them with effects. There are videos and reviews but they are completely useless. Kinda "yeah, they work" type of an answer. 
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
Simple: Besides the "sound" thing they are awful in every way. Expensive to buy and to maintain. Fragile as fuck. Unreliable as hell. And even the sound argument is a myth. And even if the signal clipping thing with the SS amps is true, it's only with the cheap ones, like most 15W "your first amp" things. 

I don't know what you are doing with tube amps, i have 21 of them. in the last five years i have only had two or three tubes go bad on me. I have dropped i tube amp and it was fine. i have never had an issue with reliability either, but I always have a backup anyways,and I have never had to resort to needing it.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I don't know what you are doing with tube amps, i have 21 of them. in the last five years i have only had two or three tubes go bad on me. I have dropped i tube amp and it was fine. i have never had an issue with reliability either, but I always have a backup anyways,and I have never had to resort to needing it.

Luckly I never had problems with them, but a guy who bought Kustom from me yesterday told me that he need one because his previous combo fuckin' exploded on him. Don't get me wrong I love the idea of an 100years old technology being used till this day, but that's the very problem, and it's not like it was a good technology in the first place. It always was shit. We just learned to like the problems or glorified them. Imagine your 4k HD TV having distortion effect everytime you turn any knob past 4 o'clock, or your super-thick white laptop dying so often, that you carry on backup to your job anyway, just for a case... fuckin' what? 
Quote by dannyalcatraz
No opinion on the Katana, but I know that Quilter solid state amps can definitely take pedals well.

Good one, exept it's unavailable in my country. Though luck.
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
Those are fighting words around here. Tube amps are typically more expensive then SS amps because most SS amps are cheap, designed for consumption by inexperienced players who do not know any better. There are very few "professional" SS amps that are not modeling-based. And in turn, there is a reason why so many professional guitarists use tube amps.

The maintenance/fragility/unreliability aspect of tube amps I can understand when you compare them to your typical SS amp. Yes, tube amps require more maintenance and care compared to the SS amp- because SS amps pretty much require no maintenance. But that does not mean the maintenance of a tube amp is overbearing. Keep spare tubes for your amp, don't move the amp while it is hot, don't throw it around like a monkey, etc. Your cabling is a lot more likely to go out instead of your tube amp that is properly maintained and cared for- so we should all just resort to wireless, eh?

The SS clipping thing is true for any SS amp. When you overdrive a SS components, what you get is a very not-good sound. It does not matter what the wattage is, what the amp brand is, how much you paid for it, the kind of amp it is, etc. SS component clipping does not sound good, and it is not musical (for most guitarists). However, that is talking about the component clipping. The "distortion" you hear in SS amp modeling algorithms is a different story. The issue with running drive pedals into any SS amp is you are more likely to induce component clipping.
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
I have a Green Russian clone, modded fuzz factory, Fat Sandwich with the fuzz mode ON, and Krank's Distortus Maximus and on my solid-state they all sound just... how they supposed to. Just that. BUT plugged into VOX AC30, or that Kustom they all sound like a bad, small, cheap solid-state amp with a preamp pushed into hard clipping.
As you said, the glassy or bell-like amps you have to be careful with when slamming them with gain. Especially VOX, especially their most recent amps. If you're not careful with your settings, you'll end up with the sound you are describing. But if you work with the amp some, you can get great results out of it. VOX's do not output a lot of bass so if you want a lot of thump I would suggest to look elsewhere- and as you said, Marshall/Marshall inspired. The Fender Bassbreaker series might be up your alley as well. Also keep in mind that bass thump from the guitar will likely be cut out in a modern mix.
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
Luckly I never had problems with them, but a guy who bought Kustom from me yesterday told me that he need one because his previous combo fuckin' exploded on him. Don't get me wrong I love the idea of an 100years old technology being used till this day, but that's the very problem, and it's not like it was a good technology in the first place. It always was shit. We just learned to like the problems or glorified them. Imagine your 4k HD TV having distortion effect everytime you turn any knob past 4 o'clock, or your super-thick white laptop dying so often, that you carry on backup to your job anyway, just for a case... fuckin' what?
You know the sounds you hear on records from years past- those 60's-70's fuzz tones- were gotten from tube amps slammed with fuzz boxes right? Distortion itself, either SS or Tube, is, on the technical level, a failure of the amp. Maybe you just like the sound of an SS amp pushed beyond it's limits better than a tube amp pushed beyond it's limits.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 15, 2017,
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
Simple: Besides the "sound" thing they are awful in every way. Expensive to buy and to maintain.

They're expensive compared to cheap solid state practice amps. But any piece of gear that's going to sound better than that lot is naturally going to be more expensive whether its tube or not. You get what you pay for. And they're not expensive to maintain at all. A set of tubes can last many years and decent quality tubes are not expensive at all.
Fragile as fuck. Unreliable as hell.

None of this is true. If you drop any amplifier from a great height, you will break it. Got nothing to do with it being tube or solid state. Use common sense and treat your gear with respect and you'll probably never have any problems.

Reliability is subject to how well the amp is built in general. A poorly built amp is going to be unreliable whether its tube or not.
And even the sound argument is a myth. And even if the signal clipping thing with the SS amps is true, it's only with the cheap ones, like most 15W "your first amp" things. 

Solid state clipping is inherent in all solid state amps by their very nature.
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar

This is like saying that your friend's sports car blew its engine up, therefore all sports cars are bad.

But you know what else? Sports cars are fast and feel great to drive. And even if they do require a bit of maintenance every several years, the amount of enjoyment they bring to the owner between service intervals incentivises the owner to keep them well maintained. Tube amps are much the same.

With modern tube amps, the only 'servicing' you probably only even need to do is replace the tubes, rebias the power section with a multimeter. Boom. You're good for another dozen years. I fail to see what the big deal is.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE +1 especially on the last blurb.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Yes, the s-s components clipping is shit and there is nothing we can do. It's really weird that I never heard it in my playing. Maybe because I like my amp clean as a glass, and my pedals only some louder than the amp, nothing like twice as big, just a little bit so I can hear a punch. I'm more of a dark, mid-scooped sound when overdriven yet kinda bright when clean. Solid state gives me that capability. Tubes don't. I have to say though that I NEVER use solid-state in-amp effects because I never heard good one in my life. Maybe Katana will change that. I prefer pedals for my distortion because you can have so many types of distortion, fuzz and shit its beautiful. I really use my amp as a base for my effects. As neutral as possible. Plus in-amp tube distortion is unpredictable and CAN sound bad. Tube amps are cute, but they are one trick ponys (60 knobs to dial one thing, because Mega boogie will always sound like messa boogie, which is good but still).  trashedlostfdup  said that he has 21 of them. SHIT! I just want ONE that can sound good and take all the pedals. Is that too much?! 
Tubes DO sound the best, that is the TRUTH, but I prefer utility. Bigger battery over more megapixels type of thing. You have to spend as much money on tubes, they take forever to worm up, you can't move them when they are hot, or touch them... fuck this shit. Not worth it. 
Overdriven tubes are the OG shit, I know, but it's just an effect. I stopped glorifying it long time ago.
Katana really looks like something I may like, but I'm really worried for that digital\solid-state thing in terms of my pedals and no one really answered that question yet.
Last edited by Mateusz Kaczmar at Apr 15, 2017,
You're employing a lot of sweeping overgeneralizations in your posts and the vast, vast majority of them are bollocks, frankly.

An amp that can offer a mid-scooped sound and a bright clean tone? Ever heard of a Fender Twin before?

Your assertion that tube amps are 1 trick ponys is funny because many, many tube amps are close derivatives or even direct clones of other amplifiers. Some amps have preamp designs in one channel that directly copy the design of one famous amp and another channel that directly copies the preamp of another famous amp. Look at the Randall RM100 for example.

In truth there really isn't that many different ways you can design a guitar tube amplifier. So many amplifiers tend to sound quite similar to one another.
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
Katana really looks like something I may like, but I'm really worried for that digital\solid-state thing in terms of my pedals and no one really answered that question yet.

Nobody has answered your question because nobody else here has a Boss Katana hooked up with the EXACT fuzz pedals you own. Given the thousands of different fuzz pedals on the market, you cannot blame anyone for not having the exact pedals and amp that you have. Knowing how X amp will react to X pedals, especially when it comes to solid state amps, is very, very difficult to predict because every solid state amp is designed differently. And the Boss Katana was not released all that long ago, so few people have had the opportunity to try the amp under similar conditions to your own.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Yes, I heard about Fender Twin. It's expensive, AND makes fuzz pedals sound like fizzy shit XD. I KNOW, I know.

Let me refrase my question. 

Is Katana - cheap but not too cheap digital\solidstate amp that people all around the world are pleasantly surprised about more like marshall, or fender when plugged to a fuzz?
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
Yes, I heard about Fender Twin. It's expensive, AND makes fuzz pedals sound like fizzy shit XD. I KNOW, I know.

I have had great results with ODs/fuzz with twins. same with my 1968 bassman.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Answer me this, how are you running your pedals?settings etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Sounds like you need to build a rack.  Get a ss power amp and figure out how you want to do your preamp business.

Boss Katana probably isn't going to do what you want.  Not going to say if it is a good or bad amp.  Just saying, you could do better if you really like to rely on pedals.  
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
Good one, exept it's unavailable in my country. Though luck.

Online retailers might ship to you. Don't know about import taxes, though.

Best of luck!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
You're confused, friend Which is to say, wrong. Evidently you only heard about Fender Twins.

Mid-scooped fuzz (e.g. basic Big Muff) + mid-scooped amp? Sure, that's fizzy. That's fizzy whatever amp it is - if it's got a big mid scoop then a pedal with a big mid-scoop isn't generally going to sound great with it. That's why Fender cleans pair well with pedals (fuzzes or otherwise) with more mids in there. And then, whether it's a fuzz or something else, it sounds great.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I'd be surprised if a Blues Jr or Epi Valve Jr doesn't work with fuzz.
BTW, OP, you mentioned tubes being obsolete technology, but so is fuzz. You know popularized it?
Hendrix, the same guy that made the Marshall stacks his go to amps.
trashedlostfdup
K33nbl4d3
Unfortunately I did tried bassman and twin and it's not like it's IMPOSSIBLE to dial anything on them it's just a usable wrong sound, you may like it, but for me it was so far away from my expectations and comfort zone I called it unusable for me. It's just the very nature of those open bright amps. I have to say though that I love the sound of them on their own. Well.. though luck. 

I think that one day I may be able to buy me a stack of Marshalls, Fenders and carry all that shit with me on stage every day but... you know.

dannyalcatraz
Not to Poland : \

ThunderPunk
Another expensive and complicated idea unfortunately. I don't even like amps with to many knobs. That sounds like an unintentional mess.
That's some bad news you say about Katana. I was afraid that it may be like that. I liked the idea of Katana because it have acoustic mode (I know, spare me about acoustic amps, please), some build in dirt modes (although I may never use them, I don't know), SIMPLE setup, clean cleans, and couple of digital settings to play around but nothing like that Marshall modeling thing (fuckin' mess IMO). Dreams about bell-like open sound went to trash, especially when I can plug an acoustic to the same amp. 

diabolical
Blues Jr? Epi Valve Jr? This sounds like an idea. I never tried non of them. BTW: Not really. Germanium fuzzes live together in harmony with silicon fuzzes.

That Epi Valve Jr (hot rod version esp) looks sweeeet as fuck. That simplicity makes me jizz my pants. Although It may go to the dirt zone too early (that damn unpredictability of tubes, again).
get an orange terror series if you like three knobs, they eat fuzz really well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!