Is it possible to fit a battery in the electronics compartment of an S521? This is the hardtail version btw, no tremolo cavity. I've seen very few attempts at this, and they involve routing or otherwise making irreversible changes to the guitar. I hate that. So has anyone done this without taking a chisel/Dremel to the poor instrument?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
You could try to hard solder and cram it, remove material under the control cover and fit it, or buy this thing:

http://www.emgpickups.com/es-918.html#info

If you're looking for EMG tone I would probably go with a pair of HZ's and call it a day honestly.

Edit: the 24 volt mod is actually smaller than a 9V so that might give you the tiny bit of clearance you need.

http://www.24voltmod.com/mobile/index.html
"Well reeeer to you too sir...Its the internet. Do you really expect it to be completely serious?" - mcraddict81592
Last edited by guitarkid8 at Apr 16, 2017,
Do they have to be active pickups? Passive pickups open you up to a world of different options and any decent set of passive pickups will sound easily as good, if not better than any typical 81/85 set imo.
Quote by guitarkid8
If you're looking for EMG tone I would probably go with a pair of HZ's and call it a day honestly.

HZ pickups are absolute garbage. Super thin, compressed and harsh. EMG needs to stop making them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I already have a set of Blackouts and there's an S521 at a pretty good price that I'm eyeing. However, if I can't fit the battery in there somewhere then forget about it... 

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Do they have to be active pickups? Passive pickups open you up to a world of different options and any decent set of passive pickups will sound easily as good, if not better than any typical 81/85 set imo.

HZ pickups are absolute garbage. Super thin, compressed and harsh. EMG needs to stop making them.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, as I am to my own.

OP, take a 9v with you and see if it would fit before buying. A little material out of the cavity is no big deal.
"Well reeeer to you too sir...Its the internet. Do you really expect it to be completely serious?" - mcraddict81592
Quote by guitarkid8

OP, take a 9v with you and see if it would fit before buying. A little material out of the cavity is no big deal.

Obviously if I could do that I wouldn't have posted this thread.

Quote by guitarkid8
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, as I am to my own.

Sure. But the fact remains they are pretty universally agreed to be terrible. And my experiences with them in the cheaper Jackson and Schecter guitars makes it apparent the hate is there for a reason.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Mad Marius
I already have a set of Blackouts and there's an S521 at a pretty good price that I'm eyeing. However, if I can't fit the battery in there somewhere then forget about it... 
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Sure. But the fact remains they are pretty universally agreed to be terrible. And my experiences with them in the cheaper Jackson and Schecter guitars makes it apparent the hate is there for a reason.

I had HZ's in a jackson and agree they should stop making them. terrible junk.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I had HZ's in a jackson and agree they should stop making them. terrible junk.

They're like Fast & Furious movies. Some people love them, and people keep buying them, but its really gotta stop. Jokes over.
I promise all of you that I won't be putting HZs in my guitars. It also doesn't seem like I'm going to get an answer to my question so, by all means, continue the debate. Or close the thread, either way.

My 470 should have a similar size if you like I'll try and remember to grab a 9v or 2 on my way home and take some photos for you
HZ's

I was able to fit a 9v in the control cavity of my '93 Professional Seires MIJ King V Standard, it's going to be hard to tell without trying first.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Mad Marius
I promise all of you that I won't be putting HZs in my guitars. It also doesn't seem like I'm going to get an answer to my question so, by all means, continue the debate. Or close the thread, either way.

don't get pissy. if one of us doesn't have active pickups in an S-series we can't help you. we aren't saying anything because we don't want to misinform.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Not sure if it will help but this guy managed to squeeze one into the cavity of his S420:

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge