I always though I knew how to do pull offs. But a recent tutorial made me all confused. The example is the Dead's Dark Star - as tabbed my Jdark.

One movement goes like this:

- - -5- 8- - 7777p6p5- - 8p7p6p5p- -
- -6 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - -  
--7 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  

According to jdarks own "how to read" the idea is (as in he 7p6) to hold down fret 7 and 6, strike the string and pull off the 7th to let the 6th ring. But it doesn't explain how you're s'posed to do it with 7,6 and 5 in a row.

Any clues?  
Quote by cdgraves
You have to use your pinky. Pull the 4th finger off to the 3rd finger, and then pull the 3rd finger off to the 1st finger.

Now hang on a cotton pickin' moment. Are you saying it's just one pluck - as it were? I strike the string once, then release the fingers like dominos?
But if it's: 

- - - - - 2h3p2- - - - 
- - - - - - - - - - etc

is it still just one "pluck"?
You are only picking the first note with your right hand, depending on the music it could also be opening with a hammer on instead or sweep picking.

Are you doing pull off's correctly? You pluck the string with your fretting fingers, if you just lift your finger off you wont get the sound on multiple pull offs like the one in your original post.
Quote by AnrBjotk
Now hang on a cotton pickin' moment. Are you saying it's just one pluck - as it were? I strike the string once, then release the fingers like dominos?

Quote by AnrBjotk
But if it's: 

- - - - - 2h3p2- - - - 
- - - - - - - - - - etc

Yes x2, check the additional info in this lesson - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/hammer_ons_and_pull_offs.html
Yes it's one pluck - assuming it was well tabbed ( you shouldn't assume!).

Try to listen carefully for the "accents" - i.e. notes that jump out at you - those are plucked. It's like a percussive hit.  whatever note you pluck  will have that percussive sound and the pull offs and hammer-ons will sound fluid. Normally the first note of a line on a string is the one that is plucked, but it depends. 

I recommend you check out John Pettrucci's Rock Discipline video - he has a section on legato exercises ( it's probably on you tube) - learn some of the exercises and practice them - it's always the same patterns that come back, so if you learn a few of the core ones you will start to see them everywhere.
Quote by AnrBjotk
But if it's: 

- - - - - 2h3p2- - - - 
- - - - - - - - - - etc

Yes, both of your examples are a single pluck (articulation), and the rest are legato.

A proper pull off is almost a pluck with the fretting finger, so volume loss should be minimal.
Quote by cdgraves
Yes, both of your examples are a single pluck (articulation), and the rest are legato.

A proper pull off is almost a pluck with the fretting finger, so volume loss should be minimal.

So... I have to first fret second fret, strike the string, hammer on third (leaving both second and third fretted) and then release third? This is complicated business.
Quote by cdgraves
you got it

Hah! I'm actually getting it now. And it sounds incredible. The way the note keeps bouncing on the same beat... 
I was fine until I came across this puzzler from the solo from Something by Harrison:

- - - - 8b10r8b10r8- - - - wtf
So do I bend the 8th to the 10th and then release? Release how? Is that like a pull off to 0? And then back to 8th?

And with ---7-b9r8---- do I bend 9th and then pull off from 8?
Releasing a bend just means you bring the bent note back down to being unbent...nothing to do with pull offs or hammer ons
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Releasing a bend just means you bring the bent note back down to being unbent...nothing to do with pull offs or hammer ons

Ok. n00b alert, but: If I bend 8th and jump to 10th how can I debend 8? Or is it bending 10th? This is so confusing. Does the b go before or after the note?? LOL
Quote by AnrBjotk
Ok. n00b alert, but: If I bend 8th and jump to 10th how can I debend 8? Or is it bending 10th? This is so confusing. Does the b go before or after the note?? LOL

It's all at the 8th fret, bend (a full tone, to the equivalent of the note at the 10th fret), release, bend, release.
The second example is a bit trickier, if it's written correctly it should mean bend the note at the 7th fret a full tone, then release to a half.
Like this :

Text tab is not great for showing things like this - I would write it differently, I don't like the b's & r's and different fret numbers within the tab.
Quote by NSpen1
It's all at the 8th fret, bend (a full tone, to the equivalent of the note at the 10th fret), release, bend, release.
The second example is a bit trickier, if it's written correctly it should mean bend the note at the 7th fret a full tone, then release to a half.
Like this :

Text tab is not great for showing things like this - I would write it differently, I don't like the b's & r's and different fret numbers within the tab.

Wait, what? So you're saying that whole section is JUST on 8th fret? The 10th is not touched at all except in dressing the 8th fret up in 10th fret clothes?

Is that the same with -10b11p8- except you pull of to 8th at the end?
Quote by AnrBjotk
Wait, what? So you're saying that whole section is JUST on 8th fret? The 10th is not touched at all except in dressing the 8th fret up in 10th fret clothes?

Yes, exactly.

Is that the same with -10b11p8- except you pull of to 8th at the end?

That's not written quite correctly. It's bending the note at the 10th fret a 1/2 step, but then you have to release it before you pull-off to the 8th fret. But yes, it's only the 10th fret which is bent and 8th fret pulled off to, which are actually played.
Quote by NSpen1
Yes, exactly.

That's not written quite correctly.  It's bending the note at the 10th fret a 1/2 step, but then you have to release it before you pull-off to the 8th fret. But yes, it's only the 10th fret which is bent and 8th fret pulled off to, which are actually played.

Thanks. It's a complicated business trying to play the solo from Something... 
But wtih - - - - 8b10r8b10r8- - - - could you cheat? I mean, I cant imagine a day when I'll be able to bend an 8th fret to sound like 10. When I play it, it sounds closer to the recording to just go from 8th to 10th. Like - - - - 8h10-8- - - - 
AnrBjotk
Ha, with practice you'll find doing a full tone bend won't be anything too hard. Just wait till you get on to one and a half and two tone bends
You can cheat and play --8h10p8h10p8-- or --8/10\8/10\8-- (legato slides, only pick the first note), but it won't sound the same as bending.
Ok... But with an "easy" classic blues one::

e- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
b- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
G- - - - 7b9- -7 - -5 - - - - - - - - - - - -
D- -7 - - - - - - -- - - - - 7- 5- - - - - - -
A- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
E- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  

Are you telling me I'm supposed to make the 7fret bend to sound like a nine fret? HOW?
Full step bends are probably the most common bends in guitar playing, it shouldn't be particularly difficult unless you have heavier strings like 11s in standard tuning.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Full step bends are probably the most common bends in guitar playing, it shouldn't be particularly difficult unless you have heavier strings like 11s in standard tuning.

So what could I be doing wrong that it doesn't sound anything like the recording? It DOES if I, with this latter case, jump to 9th fret... When I bend it sounds like there's a note missing. Oh, shucky darn!

I'll just keep bending and see what happens :P I'm always worried the string will break if I bend it too much, but looking at youtube lessons, I'm not bending half as much as "required".