To anyone who has played with both, which of the two designs is more comfortable to play sitting down in the classical position? Or does it not make a difference at all? Looking to add a V in my collection soon.

Examples:
Asymmetrical V: Jackson RRTMG,RR5  |  ESP Alexi V
Symmetrical V: Jackson King V  |  Dean V
I prefer the RR because sitting down I found it to be more ergonomic. And they look cool.
I find symmetrical V's to be more comfortable. The lower wing on symmetrical V's is usually substantial enough to be supported by your left thigh. Such that if you bring your thighs together, you can support the guitar without even needing to hold onto it with either hand. Asymmetrical V's that have a small lower wing usually don't allow you to do that.

I also find that symmetrical V's balance on a strap better because of the additional weight of the longer lower wing shifts the guitar's center of gravity back towards the body.

The Carvin Ultra V is an exception to this rule though since the upper wing is the smaller one.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by darkunknown88
To anyone who has played with both, which of the two designs is more comfortable to play sitting down in the classical position? Or does it not make a difference at all? 

I've played both. No difference at all. Currently have a symmetrical V, but mainly only because it's pretty. 
T00DEEPBLUE The hold between the legs method is really nice for leads.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.
My rhodes v is asym
itll only fit in a bass case.
looks hella rad when I look in the mirror tho
27mMoV31II7.a2
@T00DEEPBLUE I completely agree. I only own one V atm. its a gibson, and it balances nicely in all positions. also less likely to have neck dive
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Asymmetrical is my preference. It's mostly a subjective preference. Not a whole lot of difference in playability as long as it can be balanced with a strap. The only thing I can think of off the top of my mind is asymmetrical guitars typically have less room for large control cavities on the bottom side.

**EDIT: BTW, I own 5 "V-shaped" guitars and 1 superstrat.
Last edited by SmithDerp1 at Apr 18, 2017,
i'd have said symmetrical, but i'm not sure you should listen to me since i'm not that keen on either sitting down
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
symmetrical for me please.

the way Mr. McCarty intended.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 18, 2017,
I have both a Jackson King V and a Jackson RR3 IMO the difference is negligible. I also own a couple of hybrids a Dean Split Tail which is a V in the back and an SG in the front, and a B.C. Rich Beast V which is a combo of a Speed V and a Beast, and one cheap Dean VX that is traditional Gibson V shaped that used to be my son's first guitar before he threw in the towel.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by SmithDerp1
Asymmetrical is my preference. It's mostly a subjective preference. Not a whole lot of difference in playability as long as it can be balanced with a strap. The only thing I can think of off the top of my mind is asymmetrical guitars typically have less room for large control cavities on the bottom side.

This assumes that the long bout is on top. Not always the case; Carvin, for example has normally put the long bout on bottom (though you can/could order the body flipped). It makes all kinds of sense, but that's not been the pivotal factor in guitardom, after all, has it? 

The top one was likely an early '90's version before Jackson got cranky about the headstock shape, the bottom is current production. The location of the bout didn't change over the years; you've always been able to order it either way:

Last edited by dspellman at Apr 18, 2017,
dspellman And I think Schecter has one with a huge lower portion as well.  Not a fan at all. 

To the original poster, try before you buy and, in either case, beware the location of the output jack and strap button. It's personal preference, but an output jack on the inside surface of the upper portion is a major positive for practicality in live situations because it avoids a long cable run prior to anchoring on your strap.
The Reverend Volcano and the Pete Asheton sig that is based on it are both symmetrical Vs. The output jack is in the outside of the lower wing, and the strap button is on the inside of the upper wing.

https://reverb.com/item/4304968-reverend-volcano-v-electric-guitar-w-case-vintage-clear-finish
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
FWIW the easiest way to play any V is to have your left thigh between the upper and lower bout if you are sitting. This will work for symmetical or asymmetrical

Like this:

Not like this:

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by darkunknown88
SmithDerp1 Yep. Seen some Vs with jack on the inside of the lower wing. Gotta avoid those.

My '93 King V Standard has the jack inside of lower bout it's not an issue.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Reverend Volcano and the Pete Asheton sig that is based on it are both symmetrical Vs. The output jack is in the outside of the lower wing, and the strap button is on the inside of the upper wing.

https://reverb.com/item/4304968-reverend-volcano-v-electric-guitar-w-case-vintage-clear-finish

actually they aren't symmetrical, the upper bout is larger on the reverends.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Huh. Never noticed.

But in my defense, I never looked at them much. I'm never buying a V- I love the looks, but hate the feel.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by SmithDerp1
dspellman And I think Schecter has one with a huge lower portion as well.  Not a fan at all. 

To the original poster, try before you buy and, in either case, beware the location of the output jack and strap button. It's personal preference, but an output jack on the inside surface of the upper portion is a major positive for practicality in live situations because it avoids a long cable run prior to anchoring on your strap.

There was a major argu....uh...genteel debate about jack location when Carvin reissued the V220 (essentially a V with upper bouts added). They had the jack on the outside of the V because the inside is draped over your leg when you're seated. That was fine, but they left the jack in the same spot with the V220, which goes over your leg in a more standard way, and now the jack interfered with that. Best place I've seen a jack is on the back of the guitar (V or otherwise), tucked into an indent: