Page 1 of 6
Because there are too many God conversations going on and no one bothers to state exactly what they mean when they use the word God, so define it here.

For me it is the Universe, to put it in simple terms; Big Bang, gases coalesce, stars form, heavy elements are created, planets, atmospheres, life, me.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Or define it in those threads and discussions, rather than having to cross reference to this thread? One person's use of the word God can change depending on the discussion.

This is why I created this, I haven't an attachment to it so I don't care if it goes nowhere (like most discussions) only that people quit saying things like "God doesn't exist" when they haven't explained what exactly God is to them.
BUT HES INDEFINABLE GUISSEEE!11111!!!!111Elevene!!!!!
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer
BUT HES INDEFINABLE GUISSEEE!11111!!!!111Elevene!!!!!

Works for me, God is a word for that which can not be conveyed via spoken/written language.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Pretty sure that the actual word for that is 'indescribable.'

To whom'st are you speaking.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jesus is God.

Ah, cheers.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jesus is God.

That's not what the Bible states.
Define "God"? Well, according to Evangelical Christians he has a terrible inferiority complex and needs constant positive reinforcement to prop up his poor image of himself. Hence all the continual groveling and prayer.  He knows that gayness is so fucking cool that his followers would instantly become gay if gay marriage was simply an option. Hence, his hatred of gay folks. He also hates women that have been raped, those fucking teases. God hates abortion too...so much that in an apoplectic fit of rage he completely forgot to mention it even once in the Bible! Hey, who hasn't missed out on the perfect comment because they didn't come up with it until later? That's what happened to God, about abortion. Apparently although God is perfectly omniscient,  he still fucked up in making gay people, retards, cripples, non-whites, etc. 

That's just my observation as a member of the loyal opposition. 
33db

John 10:30 "I and the Father are One" can certainly be construed as Jesus saying he is God, especially when you have the reaction in 10:33 from one he declared this to: "You, a mere man, claim to be God!"

In John: "The Word (Jesus) was God" "The Word is God made flesh."

And throughout the scripture, Jesus is worshipped, but he never corrects against the sin, because there is no sin. He is God.
I'm not planning to go into my own views much (I've spoken plenty), but these articles might give a bit of "meat" to the idea that the concept of god is lacking in some ways, if anyone's particularly curious about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theological_noncognitivism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism

They're each very different ofc but each has its own curiousness
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Deliriumbassist
33db

John 10:30 "I and the Father are One" can certainly be construed as Jesus saying he is God, especially when you have the reaction in 10:33 from one he declared this to: "You, a mere man, claim to be God!"

In John: "The Word (Jesus) was God" "The Word is God made flesh."

And throughout the scripture, Jesus is worshipped, but he never corrects against the sin, because there is no sin. He is God.

The Word is not "Jesus" The Word is God, the Hebrews felt words had power, so much so they didn't write out or speak certain words.
Jesus is also the "light" come to earth in the form of a man, but he is not God, that would be like you saying your toenail is "you".

Remember also that there are old and new testaments, and that the words you are writing were written after his death. and long after the concept of "The Word" was written about.
Quote by 33db
That's Jesus bud, not God.

Jesus is one person of the Holy Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Together, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are God. 

And Jesus IS the word of God made flesh. 
Quote by 33db
The Word is not "Jesus" The Word is God, the Hebrews felt words had power, so much so they didn't write out or speak certain words.
Jesus is also the "light" come to earth in the form of a man, but he is not God, that would be like you saying your toenail is "you".

Remember also that there are old and new testaments, and that the words you are writing were written after his death. and long after the concept of "The Word" was written about.

The meaning of the term 'Word' depended on the actual word used. In the context of John 1:1:

“In the beginning was the Word. And the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.”

'Word' was translated from logos, which means 'expression of thought.' In other words, in context of John 1:1, the message from God to man. Jesus is also called the Word in John and Colossians. Bringing that back to John 1:1, the Word was God, Jesus was God.

And with the Holy Trinity, he is God, as all parts of the Trinity are God. If he's all powerful and beyond our comprehension, he can certainly pull off being three things at once.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Apr 16, 2017,
I'm God. Didn't we establish this already?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I'm God.  Didn't we establish this already?

No, asshole. We decided you were the DEMIgod of Debauchery. DEMI, goddammit. Keep your shit straight, we don't want to put Hurk in charge of that shit again. 
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The meaning of the term 'Word' depended on the actual word used. In the context of John 1:1:

“In the beginning was the Word. And the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.”

'Word' was translated from logos, which means 'expression of thought.' In other words, in context of John 1:1, the message from God to man. Jesus is also called the Word in John and Colossians. Bringing that back to John 1:1, the Word was God, Jesus was God.

And with the Holy Trinity, he is God, as all parts of the Trinity are God. If he's all powerful and beyond our comprehension, he can certainly pull off being three things at once.

Was Jesus mentioned by name in the old testament?
I am god

You are god

The universe dies when we die.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by 33db
Was Jesus mentioned by name in the old testament?

I'm not referring to the Old Testament. But this prophecy in the OT is pretty clearly about Jesus, and even refers to him as Mighty God.

6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Apr 16, 2017,
Quote by 33db
gerdner
He's a part of God, or he IS God? Which is it?

Yes, that's right. 
Deliriumbassist
But not by name, so all the descriptive items you used were prior to Jesus existing.
The very people that wrote the OT have even said that "He" has not come yet.
Here's the way it is. I was raised in a fairly non-religious home. My mother never let me swear or anything, but she never went to church either, lol. Dad, well Dad is an atheist I think. He is also a baptized Baptist, like mother, and non-observant. Dad doesn't care if I mock religion in his presence, and joins in Mom gets upset, so I don't criticize religion much around her. Around her I just criticize the hypocrisy of religion. Still, when I was a little shit my parents sent me off to be brainwashed, and I attended a fundamentalist churchl from ages 7-15. I remember the preacher telling us how "Three's Company" was leading to morale decay in America! 

I hated that shit. I hated every fucking second I spent in that church. I hated the smug "superiority" emitted by those hypocritical cocksuckers at church. So lame, so many lies and so much ignorance. And so many good people blinded by that hateful shit. But you gotta have "faith". 

Fuck faith. 
Last edited by TobusRex at Apr 16, 2017,
Quote by 33db
Deliriumbassist
But not by name, so all the descriptive items you used were prior to Jesus existing.
The very people that wrote the OT have even said that "He" has not come yet.

Hence the name, "old testament", to be contrasted with the "new testament", which begins with the Four Evangelists, who - spoiler alert - knew the J-dawg.

Quote by TobusRex Here's the way it is. I was raised in a fairly non-religious home. My mother never let me swear or anything, but she never went to church either, lol. Dad, well Dad is an atheist I think. He is also a baptized Baptist, like mother, and non-observant. Dad doesn't care if I mock religion in his presence, and joins in Mom gets upset, so I don't criticize religion much around her. Around her I just criticize the hypocrisy of religion. Still, when I was a little shit my parents sent me off to be brainwashed, and I attended a fundamentalist churchl from ages 7-15. I remember the preacher telling us how "Three's Company" was leading to morale decay in America!   I hated that shit. I hated every fucking second I spent in that church. I hated the smug "superiority" emitted by those hypocritical cocksuckers at church. So lame, so many lies and so much ignorance. And so many good people blinded by that hateful shit. But you gotta have "faith".   Fuck faith. 

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by TobusRex
Here's the way it is. I was raised in a fairly non-religious home. My mother never let me swear or anything, but she never went to church either, lol. Dad, well Dad is an atheist I think. He is also a baptized Baptist, like mother, and non-observant. Dad doesn't care if I mock religion in his presence, and joins in Mom gets upset, so I don't criticize religion much around her. Around her I just criticize the hypocrisy of religion. Still, when I was a little shit my parents sent me off to be brainwashed, and I attended a fundamentalist churchl from ages 7-15. I remember the preacher telling us how "Three's Company" was leading to morale decay in America! 

I hated that shit. I hated every fucking second I spent in that church. I hated the smug "superiority" emitted by those hypocritical cocksuckers at church. So lame, so many lies and so much ignorance. And so many good people blinded by that hateful shit. But you gotta have "faith". 

Fuck faith. 

What does any of that have to with God?
For my human, and borrowed human, interpretation: as everything is above, corresponds with everything below, which is Singular at levels we have seemed to grow more detached from at large:

God is dormant in everything including us*:

*For speaking with. (Life is a test many quest the Universe B.I.B.L.E GZA lyrics) God can save you if you try, for All is Mind. Jesus' example is profound, though only what your inner thinks is right. You can write off lots of history, things that have never affected you, but have you ever considered the less-than-razorblade's chance that entropy and gravity are perfectly aligned so as to allow the laws of physics to exist in our realm? Possibly a test from interdimensional ayylmao's which we will never comprehend until death from the 6 material realm (repeated thrice in cultures to cement the idea).

Though it is interesting to speak with some that have had near-death experiences that teach us we have nothing to fear.
33db

So what if the name Jesus hadn't been used. They just hadn't broken through the Big Book of Baby Names at that point.

And it's a prophecy about something coming to Earth. Doesn't mean he didn't exist in another plane, or heaven, or as part of God beforehand. Jesus said himself "Before Abraham was, I am"
Quote by 33db
slapsymcdougal
You did not just pull G-Mike out of your ass in this thread.

He's never been in my ass, so I couldn't pull him out of it. Can't speak for your ass, though.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by 33db

Actually I had a long essay on that, but fucked up my browser and didn't want to retype. 

But, to sum up what I said at the end : If God exists and wanted our abject devotion and wanted us to do shit for him, he'd manifest himself and say so. Simply put. Hence, God doesn't exist, or if he does doesn't care what we think/do.  

You mentioned earlier your concept of God was different than most. What is it? The GAIA concept?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Can't speak for your ass, though.

I'm not so sure of that, you fucking predator!
Quote by 33db

Didn't you find it interesting?
TobusRex
I avoid the whole issue by saying God is the Universe, I don't get into afterlives or score keeping.
But... I like what Spinoza wrote on that matter, that we are only aware of mind and matter (he used the term extension in place of matter) but that God (the Universe) had infinitely more attributes than those 2.

Proposition 11: God, or a substance consisting of infinite attributes, each of which expresses eternal and infinite essence, necessarily exists. (The proof of this proposition consists simply in the classic “ontological proof for God’s existence”. Spinoza writes that “if you deny this, conceive, if you can, that God does not exist. Therefore, by axiom 7 [‘If a thing can be conceived as not existing, its essence does not involve existence’], his essence does not involve existence. But this, by proposition 7, is absurd. Therefore, God necessarily exists, q.e.d.&rdquo