I really need/want to replace the plastic nut on my Les Paul with something better. First I was thinking bone as that seems to be the 'standard' upgrade nut to use but after reading about some of the synthetic's that self lubricate like the graphite and others I tend to think one of those would be a better choice, so I was wondering what people on the forum here think?  On a related topic, those of you who have replaced a plastic nut with bone or one of the good synthetic nuts, does it make a noticeable difference in tone or does it mainly just make tuning easier and help everything stay in tune. 
A lot of people like the Tusq nuts. I wouldn't expect to hear a tonal difference unless you're listening for it.
I've replaced a few plastic nuts with Graph Tech ones and, while there was no noticeable improvement of tone, it did wonders for tuning stability.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
TUSQ is objectively the best material. Not only is it self-lubricating (teflon impregnated) but it's very hard. So it resonates more like the fretted notes, which is precisely what you want.

Bone nuts are good for replacements on vintage guitars as it's more period correct. But that's about it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
As some one who has a Tusq XL and a bone nut, there is very little difference. They both do a superb job when it comes to tuning. When I switched out the corian nut on my V for a Tusq XL it made the guitar just a bit brighter and snappier.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Best nut? A cashew. Pistachios come in second. 
Quote by gerdner
Best nut? A cashew. Pistachios come in second. 

Best nut? The left one. 
Bone is vintage, Tusq works really well. If I'm replacing a nut on anything recent, it's usually Tusq.
I have used bone, brass, and Tusq, I like the lubricity of the tusq nuts, but like the look of brass, and really want to try to make one from mokume-gane.
"It's better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war"
The trouble with bone is that it can be inconsistent and once in a blue moon you get a bone nut that has a  spot that is less dense than the rest it can mess with your string balance and make individual strings sound dead compared to the others.  It's not a common problem but does happen from time to time.  When I make a nut I use bone simply because I can get the bone for free. If I get a bad piece I can junk it and start again with little worry.  Tusq, on the other hand, is super consistent and it sounds indistinguishable from a good bone nut.  On an LP I would recommend Tusq if you are buying something pre made. 
Not taking any online orders.
Seen the title and thought I was in the pit for a second.
Flying in a blue dream
I think how well it is cut is more important than bone vs. tusq.

given the option assuming both were cut well tusq would be better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'll add to the considerable TUSQ is great parade. I really dig them.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
oh it says "best".

i thought this was a competition or something.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.