Hey everyone,

I am a beginner, who wants to learn fingerstyle, so I wanted to buy a fitting guitar with a budget of 1000€. At the guitar shops that I went to, I tried out a couple of different guitars and looked for the things that I read are beneficial for fingerstyle (wider neck, smaller body size). I tried out the Martin GPCPA5K and really liked how easy it felt to play it. I asked the people who work there for suggestions and they suggested a Sigma SOMR-28H which is full wood, while the Martin only has a wood top (as far as I remember) and the sides and back from HPL. And when I compared the sound side by side, I definitely prefered the Sigma. However, the Sigma has a higher action and feels less comfortable to play. Now because I am a beginner I thought "it probably doesn't matter if feels easy to play, I will just get used to it." and bought the Sigma.  This was about 3 weeks ago.

A couple of days ago, I went to another store to buy some picks, told the person there about the guitar I bought and how the Martin felt easier to play. He told me, that I should have taken the Martin, because playability is the most important thing for beginners. The Sigma also has small frets which I heard also make it harder to play. 

Should I return the Sigma for the Martin(or another guitar with higher frets and a better feel, - but maybe worse sound, because it's not full wood)?

Would appreciate any help
Most new guitars would benefit greatly from a professional setup which should include checking and adjusting the truss rod, action, depth of the slots in the nut, and sometimes a bit of fret leveling.  A small investment on a setup should dramatically improve your guitar's playability.  I think you made the right choice trusting your ear.
Not taking any online orders.
Like Corduroy says, a set up is the answer - and trust your ear. Set up is IMO more important than tone for a beginner, but if the sales person told you to get the other guitar because of set up differences, he should find himself another vocation. One thing to be aware of is that neck angle varies a lot among guitars, so I always check that there will be plenty of saddle left when a guitar has been set up to my liking.
Quote by FaWeX
Should I return the Sigma for the Martin(or another guitar with higher frets and a better feel, - but maybe worse sound, because it's not full wood)?

There are a lot of good reasons to return the Sigma. There are a lot of good reasons to keep it. Of all the reasons to keep it over switching to the Martin model with the synthetic back and sides, but with a real wood too, the synthetic back and sides are minimally important. Maybe if you were a master guitarist with decades of experience there might be a noticeable difference in tone. Maybe. And even then, it would be a totally personal, subjective opinion as to whether one was "better" than the other. 

All guitars have a slightly different sound. Sometimes the difference is big, sometimes it's slight. But there is always a difference. Two guitars of the same make and model, from the same factory, bought at the same store won't sound identical. And that's OK. There are only two judges of the quality of sound whose opinions matter. They are located on either side of your head. Don't let anyone else try to tell you what sounds "best". That is not a matter of fact, it is a matter of personal opinion. 
FaWeX  You should take the Sigma to "a disinterested 3rd party", (A tech or luthier), and get an unbiased opinion on the guitar. This evaluation should include, action height, neck angle, and "fret height".

Many makers today are shipping correctly "setup" instruments. In other words guitars which are setup to play nicely right out out the box. Martin may be one of those makers, while Sigma might not.

As to whether or not the Sigma's frets are "too low", or, "too small", there is one caveat. Frets are leveled at the factory after installation. It is possibly a worker having a bad day at the job could have ground down the frets too far. (I have an Ibanez to which I sort of suspect this has happened)..

Still, manufacturers do install different width and height frets on their product. However, you're apt to find greater selection of types on electric guitars, since different fret sizes mesh better  with different playing styles. (IE heavy bending, "shredding" and yes, personal taste).

I believe Ovation's, "Adama" series are equipped with "medium jumbo stainless steel frets", which is something you're much more likely to find on an electric
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 19, 2017,
The choice seems simple: return the Sigma, or pay for a setup (and then possibly have to return it anyway). 1,000 pounds is a pretty lofty amount for your first guitar (congrats, my first was utter dreck), there's no reason you shouldn't be 100% satisfied. That's about equal to $1,300. You can get a great guitar for that price. 

Question, OP: what makes you think wide necks and small bodies are good for fingerstyle? Because all the great classical/flamenco players use wide necked guitars? (just curious). Small bodies don't bring anything to the fingerstyle party, although admittedly parlor guitars are quite popular. Wide necks are just a hassle to most players, unless you have freakishly long fingers. Look for a THIN neck and low action, first and foremost, for beginning players. High action and a wide neck just makes learning that much harder (including physically...high action steel string guitars are murder on the fingertips).  God help the beginners trying to learn barres on guitars with high action and wide necks. 

Most important things for a beginner's guitar: 

1. Good action: low without incurring fret buzz
2. No wide neck - unless you have long fingers
BIG 
GAP 
Between
Number 2
and 
Number 3

3. Sounds good.