Page 1 of 2
Discuss this netflix show about teenage suicide, bullying, etc.

(Invalid img)

Was Hannah just being a whiny baby the whole time?
Is everybody at school responsible for her suicide?
Does the show glorify teen suicide?
Is bullying a corrective social mechanism?
Is rape okay?

About halfway through I was like "this show is dumb as fuck" but by the end it got pretty good. Heavyhanded and overly dramatic, but it's good to at least have something that shines the light on such topics that are pretty common.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
IDK I have not seen the film I'll try to watch it this week.

Bullying in high school has been going on forever and while I don't have statistics on suicides caused by bullying from past generations, growing up in the 80's I don't recall it being much of an issue at least not where I'm from. Of course that could just be because it was not prevelant in my locale and the lack of internet kept me from hearing about it elsewhere, but today it seems social media makes it difficult to escape the bullying. When I was young the bullying could end once kids left school as long as the bully didn't live in your neighborhood.

Social media presents an entirely new type of peer pressure that past generations never had to deal with.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

brad this is literally a show for teenage girls

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car

bring back UG classic
i prefer to call it selective evolution 
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Keep seeing this pop up on Netflix but I dunno if I wanna spend the time.

It's very imperfect and flawed and parts of it are cheesy and for the first 5 episodes I was like "wow this girl is a bitch stop blaming you killing yourself on other people." But in the end it's pretty alright. It's worth the watch I think if you wanna spend 13 hours and are ready for some flaws but it's good for teenagers to watch.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
don't encourage him
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I am 5 or 6 episodes in and it is a bit too constructed for my liking, but the performances are pretty good. It is a decent watch I guess, admirable subject matter to tackle but it borders on the edge of sentimentality, it is only sometimes succesful.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
apparently the show is problematic ignores mental health and belittles suicide

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car

bring back UG classic
Quote by EndTheRapture51
apparently the show is #problematic ignores MENTAL HEATH and BELITTLES suicide. SAD!
ftfy
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by bradulator
It's very imperfect and flawed and parts of it are cheesy and for the first 5 episodes I was like "wow this girl is a bitch stop blaming you killing yourself on other people." But in the end it's pretty alright. It's worth the watch I think if you wanna spend 13 hours and are ready for some flaws but it's good for teenagers to watch.

Sounds alright, though I'm wondering whether rewatching Freaks & Geeks might be more worthwhile lol.

I'll check it out though, I like the premise.
I am taking a Young Adult lit class rn (I've mentioned it before) & I heard about this book & then I was like "oh shit it's a Netflix series now." "Heavyhanded and overly dramatic" is the impression that I got (duh, it's YA), but I didn't read it or watch it, & not terribly interested in it.
I like the idea of teenagers dealing with really heavy guilt, and rightfully so. I'm gonna watch the first ep now.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Some teenage girls told me to watch it sooooo yes
several years ago I went to record store day at the record store (would not do that again) & I was in line behind some old guy who was a serious record collector & he told me that back in the day (we're talking like early '60s) he got made fun of for collecting 45s, 'cuz that was something that teenage girls did. that really made me think, because at some point rock music became very masculine, or at least authenticity in music became associated with masculinity, as opposed to bubblegum pop for teenage girls -- but The Beatles & The Rolling Stones were for little girls -- what if teenage girls are not always wrong?

p.s. if I had students atm & they were talking about it I'd be more inclined to watch it.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Apr 17, 2017,
Seems like a corrective social mechanism at work.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
If everyone's at fault, no one is at fault tbh tbh
My God, it's full of stars!
Just started watching it
I don't find any of the characters likable so far.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by by Zaphikh
The usual routine is to ban these accounts. I hope in the future, one day, the collective hive-mind will be able to trace down the identity of the person(s) who coded this spam-advertisement, and make first contact with them. Learn about them. Their dreams and desires as children, and what they were reduced to in maturity. Do they care for music? For love? Perhaps it's all a cryptic message sent by an alien looking for connection...

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

this show means well but right from the basic premise it sucks at talking about the things it tries to talk about
Quote by StewieSwan
i prefer to call it selective evolution 
there's already a word for that you bin it's natural selection
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Just finished the first episode. No caveats, I really dig this. It's got all the usual signs of Netflix disorder but it knows its audience and is really sweet at its core, even if the topic it's broaching is difficult.
I haven't watched it but it stinks of glorifying suicide through emotionality.
Quote by neidnarb11890
several years ago I went to record store day at the record store (would not do that again) & I was in line behind some old guy who was a serious record collector & he told me that back in the day (we're talking like early '60s) he got made fun of for collecting 45s, 'cuz that was something that teenage girls did. that really made me think, because at some point rock music became very masculine, or at least authenticity in music became associated with masculinity, as opposed to bubblegum pop for teenage girls -- but The Beatles & The Rolling Stones were for little girls -- what if teenage girls are not always wrong?

p.s. if I had students atm & they were talking about it I'd be more inclined to watch it.

What if it became masculine because teenage girls liked it.
In other words men gravitate towards things that women like in order to be closer to women.
i read the book like 7 years ago when i was in high school, only just heard about the netflix series last night

gonna check it out when i eventually finish breaking bad
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Nothing of merit has ever followed this preface.

It's the Pit, merit is optional.
I've watched most of them. I find it to be pretty overly dramatic like something you'd find on a teen's tumblr page. Super annoying, but in that way it's effective in giving an authentic teen feel. Teens are hopelessly dramatic and looking back on it, we were pretty annoying in that way too. It's a time of growth and self discovery. In that sense, the show nailed it. The characters might as well be cartoon because they are all caricatures. It ignores personal culpability in too many places. It does a good job of addressing guilt. However, I think it glorifies suicide and mental illnesses into some sort of sentimental tragic beauty thing. That glorification is the foundation for the show I feel. The characters are built in such a way to paint suicide and mental illness in a positive way.  As if to say "it's everyone else's fault." The plot is predictable and cliche, but given the dramatic teen feel it works. 

Not a big fan myself. Production, plot, dialogue, characters, age of actors (they didn't even try in places), etc all get in the way. The glorification of mental illness and suicide is awful. The acting itself is pretty good. Suicide/mental health is a huge topic that needs addressing in the lives of young people (I work with teens). However, I maintain that it needs to be addressed in better way: a way that doesn't sentimentalize and make it seem tragically beautiful. Suicide addressed this way is an insult to those who have committed it, attempted it, and those who have been impacted by it. 
Quote by 33db
It's the Pit, merit is optional.

not really that optional if you want people to care about what you say, or even read your posts at all

UG making all these unnecessary changes and completely ignoring the fact that bringing the ignore list back would be the best change of all
Quote by institutions
not really that optional if you want people to care about what you say, or even read your posts at all

UG making all these unnecessary changes and completely ignoring the fact that bringing the ignore list back would be the best change of all

Click on name, click on block user.
"merit" is subjective and optional.
Quote by soundgarden1986
All I know is it apparently glorifies suicide but no one ever explains how it does they just say it does and I'm never gonna watch the show to find out

^This.
Quote by neidnarb11890

im a shitbag who's participated in reco(RPORATION)rd store day for like 3 years and i intend to do it next week. i find it kinda fun, make a day of it with the gf, but yea, prepare for the insufferable
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by 33db
Click on name, click on block user.
"merit" is subjective and optional.

that stops from PMs and stuff, but the classic ignore list (i realize you're too new to even know what it was) would have hidden all of your posts

sadly, blocking doesn't hide forum posts
Quote by institutions
that stops from PMs and stuff, but the classic ignore list (i realize you're too new to even know what it was) would have hidden all of your posts

sadly, blocking doesn't hide forum posts

I thought there was a place you could list users you want to block in settings, pretty sure I saw that but I can't find it now.
Quote by TheChaz
Doesn't interest me at all if there are no 'splosions or funny jokes.

Yeah no dolphins in this show....  
3 episodes in and this one of the most boring and slow-burning shows I've seen in a while
i don't think i'm gonna binge watch it, maybe just an episode here and there, it's not that great.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by by Zaphikh
The usual routine is to ban these accounts. I hope in the future, one day, the collective hive-mind will be able to trace down the identity of the person(s) who coded this spam-advertisement, and make first contact with them. Learn about them. Their dreams and desires as children, and what they were reduced to in maturity. Do they care for music? For love? Perhaps it's all a cryptic message sent by an alien looking for connection...

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Sounds depressing as hell. I bet it inspires more stupid teenagers to kill themselves. Any takers? 
Page 1 of 2