So I've been looking to sell or trade my Orange AD30 ever since I got my Rockerverb 50, and I had a guy offer me a partscaster.  I'm a sucker for Teles, and this one looks pretty cool.  The neck is a solid rosewood Strat neck from Warmoth, and the body is chambered ash with a spalted and flamed maple top.  The body was made by an apprentice at Santo Guitars (a small builder in my city).  It comes with SD Vintage Stack pickups, but I figure if I get it I'll probably end up switching in my 51 Nocaster pups that I like so much.  It has an Orange Drop cap, cloth wiring, Wilkinson compensated saddles, and Ping tuners.  Also, even though there's a locking nut shown in the picture he said he switched it out for a regular nut.  I'd also probably swap the speed knobs with either regular tele knobs or witchhats.  It comes with a GOMC flight case.  

So what do you guys think?  I'm gonna try it out on Thursday, but I'm curious about others' opinions.  Worth it for the trade if it plays well?

Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
When it comes to partscasters, you need to tread very carefully and be skeptical of his reasons for sale.

. It's obvious in the background of the pics he's sent you that he owns multiple guitars and amps, so what warrants the sale of this particular guitar over all the others that he owns?

. If the guitar wasn't exactly how he liked it in terms of sound and feel, then why did he build the guitar to those specs in the first place?

. Why did the guitar originally come with a Floyd Rose locking nut on a guitar that doesn't have fine tuners at the bridge?

You need to research how much a used Orange AD30 sells for on ebay by listing items that have already sold. Then without telling him how much your amp sells for used, ask the guy how much he's willing to sell his guitar for cash.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE Good points. I was planning on asking him a lot of those questions when I went to try it out, and maybe even see if he'd be cool with me opening up the control cavity to see how the electrical work is. Unfortunately he contacted me due to a Craigslist ad which had the price listed (albeit a bit high so I would have some room if a potential buyer wanted to negotiate) but I've been researching the parts he mentioned to see roughly what it's worth in just parts. Unfortunately it's hard to price the body since it was pretty much made as a one-off by a luthier. I'll definitely keep that stuff in mind when I go check it out.
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

I wouldn't evaluate these guitar by the price of the parts that went into it. The price of parts when bought at retail is inflated compared to the price that manufacturers pay, when they buy the exact same parts in bulk for mass produced instruments. Since 99% of guitars are mass-produced, you'll get a more realistic price if you view the value of this guitar's components in much the same way.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I'm pretty sure you can't just swap out a Floyd nut for a regular one. There's going to be a bunch of wood missing. Plus I have to question the competence of whoever put it there in the first place.

All that aside, this isn't even close to the value of an AD30. If you ever try to sell it you'll probably be lucky to get 6-700 for it. There's a reason this guy is looking to trade and not cash out.
Quote by Roc8995
I'm pretty sure you can't just swap out a Floyd nut for a regular one. There's going to be a bunch of wood missing. Plus I have to question the competence of whoever put it there in the first place.

All that aside, this isn't even close to the value of an AD30. If you ever try to sell it you'll probably be lucky to get 6-700 for it. There's a reason this guy is looking to trade and not cash out.

you can't. the other odd thing about that nut is there are no screw holes in the back of the neck. getting a regualr style nut back on won't be a huge big deal but it will requier more work than a normal nut job would. 
dannyalcatraz Yeah, that's the one.

Roc8995 I suppose that makes sense. I was just tempted because that all rosewood neck was very intriguing to me and I like the spalting as well. I looked at some pictures of necks that have had a locking nut replaced and it did seem like some had a good chunk of wood missing, but some didn't seem that bad so I was hoping it would be the later when I check it out.

I appreciate all the responses. It's good to have someone be kinda grounded when I get excited about things haha. I'll still go demo it, but now I'll probably pass unless he'll throw in something else or some cash.
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

It may be a well-made & cool axe, but right now, if a Santo is selling new for @$800, a partscaster from a Santo apprentice shouldn't even be considered more valuable than 50-75% of that, new, unless that apprentice has gone on to bigger and better things.

So I'd side with Roc on this. Unless you're really itching for that guitar or intent on ditching that Orange ASAP, that doesn't look like a good deal.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Yeah, I think you guys are right. I have a couple other offers, too, but I've been telling everyone that I'm waiting a bit to see what else comes. I suppose patience will be the name of the game right now.
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

Is there any way you can PM me the guys contact info? I'd like to talk to him and maybe purchase the partscaster from him.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Any partscaster is a totally unique, one-of-a-kind instrument. It might be great. It might really suck. There's no way on earth to evaluate it or even to have a valid opinion that's worth anything about it without actually playing it. 
NewDayHappy I'll ask him if it's alright to send you his email and let you know. I don't wanna just give out his contact info without his consent first though.
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

Update:  I played the guitar.  First, the good:  It was very resonant.  Like, noticeably louder than my usual tele unplugged.  And plugged in, it had a very open, wide tone.  The neck was also super comfortable.  That rosewood is really nice.  The guitar is also lighter than my tele, probably due to the weighted body.  It hung well on the strap, and I thought the pickups sounded good.  Overall, I thought it played well and sounded good.

The bad:  The finish wasn't up to par, in my opinion.  There were a few runs in the finish on the body.  Also, while the locking nut had been replaced with a regular nut and it seemed to be installed well and cut correctly, there was some wood missing from the spot where the locking nut had been in addition to two holes going into the neck that the locking nut would've bolted to.  He said that the previous owner had installed the nut and that he wasn't sure why either, and that he took it off as part of his process in upgrading it (he also upgraded the junk tuners and bridge that it had when he got it).  There were a few little dings on the neck, and there were some spots by the tuners that looked like the wood had been chipped or maybe crushed down?  I'm not sure, but it didn't make me feel super confident about it.

Ultimately, I think there were just too many things that didn't sit well with me to go through with the trade.  Maybe if the body had some finish issues but the neck was perfect or the body was amazing while the neck had its issues I might have done it, but both together pushed it a little over the edge.  The seller did throw in a couple pedals to sweeten the deal, so that is also tempting (and makes me feel like I'm getting more for my trade) but I'm still probably not sold unless something changes.  We'll see.

And NewDayHappy I asked about just selling it and he said unless you wanted to pay $750 for it without the flight case, he's probably going to hold onto it.
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!