My friend actually linked this to me with the simple caption "this guy is annoying as fuck".

That's all I know, I never watched the video.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
With all the the fast speed talk, laughing and giggling I can't  take this seriously. Maybe there is something here but this guy should lay off the Red Bull. This guy talks so fast and often incoherent that it is a challenge to watch it.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 19, 2017,
Quote by Kevätuhri
My friend actually linked this to me with the simple caption "this guy is annoying is fuck".

That's all I know, I never watched the video.

thank god i'm not the only one who thought this

"do you use the dorian mode on minor chords?"

it's just fascinating because this guy is perfectly at a crossroads between knowing what he's talking about and not having a single clue

like he knows how to make music, but knows nothing about actual theory so he just makes shit up
modes are a social construct
Quote by Duaneclapdrix
Which guy?

Jacob or the questioner?

both

i thought this was god tier satire at first, but good lord
modes are a social construct
Dislike his personality and style all you want, the kid is a monster and clearly has an understanding of music that is way beyond what most will acquire in a lifetime. He's 22 years old and has  opened  shows for  Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea.  He also has two grammys for best instrumental and vocal arrangements. You can't fake your way into that lol.  He plays bass, piano, guitars, percussion, drums - all quite well.  

He's a modern day genius and suspect we'll bee seeing great things as the years go on. His vocal arrangements are mind boggling.  The style is not always my thing and I agree the sound can be a bit much with those 6 part harmonies, but damned if I could come up that lol!

I've never seen anything like it in my lifetime.  
Everyone is right.  He's a monster genius, but also annoying as fuck.  That's because he's too fast for any sane person to keep up with -  not just the way he speaks, but the way he plays (and sings and arranges) his music.  "Too many f****** notes", as someone once said about Mozart...

If he had half his brain removed, he might make a normal genius, much easier for us normal non-geniuses to relate to.

Let's all just imagine Miles Davis giving him a long cool look while he spouts all that stuff....
Last edited by jonriley64 at Apr 20, 2017,
Quote by reverb66
Dislike his personality and style all you want, the kid is a monster and clearly has an understanding of music that is way beyond what most will acquire in a lifetime. He's 22 years old and has  opened  shows for  Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea.  He also has two grammys for best instrumental and vocal arrangements. You can't fake your way into that lol.  He plays bass, piano, guitars, percussion, drums - all quite well.  

He's a modern day genius and suspect we'll bee seeing great things as the years go on. His vocal arrangements are mind boggling.  The style is not always my thing and I agree the sound can be a bit much with those 6 part harmonies, but damned if I could come up that lol!

I've never seen anything like it in my lifetime.  

Yeah. I don't understand people's negativity/arrogance in this thread. I found the interview interesting.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I found it engaging to listen to. The way he answered the questions, he just loves it. I'm quite pleased that I actually managed to understand "some" of it! 😆

The editing was good as well with the piano bits and comical pictures.

Did anyone spot Darth Vader when he mentions the bright and dark side? Lol
Last edited by mdc at Apr 20, 2017,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Yeah. I don't understand people's negativity/arrogance in this thread. I found the interview interesting.

Me too.  I did understand around 90% of what he said, although it was hard to keep up.  Like mdc, I find his enthusiasm engaging, and his explanations unpretentious.  He's not spouting all that stuff to impress, but because it just excites him.   The editing too, was excellently done, notating his quotes. 

The negative part of my post was just venting.  You can have too much of a good thing.  Way too much.... His music is an example of that - which is my problem, not his.

There are parts of the theory I don't wholly subscribe to.  Which, again, is down to my failure to see any connection with music as I understand it.  But there's a hell of a lot of music I don't understand, which  limits the value of my comments!  He might be right, he might be wrong, I wouldn't know (or care much).
Last edited by jonriley64 at Apr 20, 2017,
Not my flavor of voice, but the guy has great skills

Other thoughts:
- Super-blah-blah Lydian seems to be something he put a name to, stacking parts of scales on top of each other
- Explaining concepts with embellished chords: they sound nice but can definitely distract and confuse (the entire negative harmony section)
Greatest gripe: the interviewer's transcriptions are darn close and it's clear he's done a lot of work, but sometimes the notes are still off or are an unnecessary blending of sharps and flats

Overall, really thoughtful interview, not something I would necessarily listen to every day, but definitely something to keep an eye out for

and for those of us complaining about not having x, just work harder to compensate
Well, perfect pitch is one thing, working hard at music is another, genuine interest in the musically rich family business is a third, and an intuition for putting all the parts together is a fourth

... So yeah, overcompensate, like what people without one sense do to get by almost as well as able people

(and here I realize that ventriloquism is not necessarily friendly to disabled folk)
After watching a few of his videos I am impressed by his musical abilities but I didn't hear anything new. Frankly these types of harmonies are difficult and great but somewhat old school. Listen to The Four Freshmen from the early 50's especially the ending of this song.

Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 21, 2017,
Are people really having that hard of a time understanding what he's saying to the point of hating him? I understood pretty much everything in this interview, he never really strayed too far away from talking about the circle of fifths for the most part. His explanation of b pentatonic of that C chord was a bit over my head, but even then he says he wasn't consciously thinking about it at the time. His understanding of theory is intense sure, but it's nothing that any normal person can't grasp, you don't need to be a genius to get the gist of what he's saying.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
Did we really tho?

Or did we, in our arrogance, assume we understood, as we passively sat and stared

at our screens

Nodding to ourselves, "Yes yes, quite simple really. The kid's not so hot. Not burning at all."

I just saw a vid on quantum tunneling and nodded along

Nodded along

...ellipsis...

But what if I'm wrong?
Quote by Duaneclapdrix
Did we really tho?

Or did we, in our arrogance, assume we understood, as we passively sat and stared

at our screens

Nodding to ourselves, "Yes yes, quite simple really. The kid's not so hot. Not burning at all."

I just saw a vid on quantum tunneling and nodded along

Nodded along

...ellipsis...

But what if I'm wrong?

I feel like there's a reference here I'm missing. Umm.... Yes.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
Quote by Duaneclapdrix
The negativity is obs envy

Duh

Well, yes.  The bastard is too good-looking too.
I'd like to drop an update by telling you that I actually watched the video yesterday, and it was both better and worse than what I expected.

First of all, Collier isn't nearly as annoying as people led me to believe, and after checking out some of his music I think he's pretty great. His collaboration with Snarky Puppy was more or less epic and I'll probably keep listening to that for a while.

But then, people hyped up the interview so much that I guess I was expecting some sort of forbidden knowledge but in the end it wasn't that hard to follow. I don't claim that I understood everything perfectly or that I could apply it instantly or whatever, but like jimjambanx said I don't see why this would be hard to understand for someone with a firm grasp of theory. The subjects themselves were really interesting though and as some people in the comments said I wouldn't mind watching an hour of this tbh.

So to conclude, instead of the most obnoxious guy in the world talking about the secrets of the universe, we got a mildly overexcited guy talking about some pretty advanced theory. And I enjoyed the video in the end and I should probably check out his music in more depth.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
So last year it was Dirty Loops that Samsung collaborated with for their signature mobile theme tune Over The Horizon. This year it's Jacob Collier.
I just listened to You and I. That, is truly remarkable. Quite rightly it won a Grammy.
Last edited by mdc at Apr 28, 2017,
It was like 40 minutes. I'll watch it when I have enough time sure.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail