A few months ago, I picked up a mint Jackson PDXT for only $400. The only major complaint I have with it are the EMG HZ pickups that are factory installed. To be frank, they suck. So, I was thinking of replacing them with Seymour Duncan Blackouts (the AHB-1 set). I have them in my RR3T and they sound great in my opinion. 

However, a set of Blackouts cost around $200 USD. Then I remembered that Seymour Duncan makes a preamp that is supposed to give any pickup a "Blackout feel". The preamp would be easier to install than a full set of active pickups and is only $65 USD. 

For full details:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/accessory/blackouts-preamp-short-shaft

My main question: Would the preamp give me the Blackout sound I love so much in my RR3T despite the terrible EMG HZs that are installed in there? Or would it be better to go ahead and pony up the extra cash and install the full Blackout set instead? Does anyone else have experience with using the preamp with EMG HZs? 
My crap:

Guitars
Jackson RR3T Limited Edition with Seymour Duncan Blackouts (MIJ)
Jackson JS1-X Rhoads
Jackson PDXT with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
Dean Vendetta XM

Amps
Peavey 6505 MH
Carvin 1X12 Cab

Pedals
Boss TU-3 Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Gate
Boss DD-7 Delay
The "active preamp" thing is some slick marketing but it doesn't capture any sort of reality. 

It's just a preamp. It makes stuff louder. The real benefits of actives IMO are lower magnet pull, low internal noise, and a (usually) fairly neutral voicing. Putting a preamp on top of a passive pickup gives you the opposite of all of those things. Magnet pull obviously won't change, you'll get more noise instead of less, and the voicing is going to be either colored further or just a louder version of whatever character the passive had. 

If you want a preamp, that's fine, there's plenty of reasons to use one in a guitar. If you actually want active pickups, though, the "active preamp" isn't even half-assed. It's just a fundamentally different product. It'll give you the higher output you'd get from Blackouts, but beyond that it's not going to do any of the useful things that active pickups do. 

I agree with the above. Better pickups of whatever flavor are the way forward. Blackouts, some decent passives with a preamp if you want, or just some high-output passives, any of these are good options, but making shitty pickups louder probably isn't going to make you happy. 
I have AHB-3 SD blackouts ( the Mick Thompson signatures ) and they kick ass! The clarity is unreal and it's so easy to hit harmonics.
Thank you for the claificationRoc8995 

Looks like I'll be buying a set of Blackouts! 
My crap:

Guitars
Jackson RR3T Limited Edition with Seymour Duncan Blackouts (MIJ)
Jackson JS1-X Rhoads
Jackson PDXT with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
Dean Vendetta XM

Amps
Peavey 6505 MH
Carvin 1X12 Cab

Pedals
Boss TU-3 Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Gate
Boss DD-7 Delay
I have a set of Blackouts I'm looking to sell if you're interested in going used. Pm me if you're interested.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood