Hello there. The concerned amp is a Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo tube amp. 

I have a weird, but extremely frustrating problem ! While I am playing, the volume goes up (I don't know what is the cause). Not slightly, but almost ALL THE WAY UP, and this is a huge problem since I live in an apartment, and will move in a few months. I am playing Black Metal, such as Emperor, Burzum or Darkthrone (so it involves a lot of tremolo picking). I'm playing with ridiculously high gain, very low mids and bass, very high treble and all that stuff (but of course you know this). 
So, everything works fine, but sometimes, when I strum a random string, the sound goes all the way up and I am nearly having a heart attack. PS: At first, I thought I was simply touching the volume knob on my guitar by accident while palm muting, since the knob is quite big.

There's another weird thing. It doesn't affect my playing, but the noise can get quite loud if the volume is high: Sometimes, it starts making a sound similar to motorboating (personnally, I call it a racing car noise). It starts at low pitch, then goes up, and goes down again before getting quieter and stopping. The volume of the noise doesn't change by itself, while the pitch does, and is affected by the volume knob on my GUITAR. When it starts and the pitch raises, it sounds like "woosh", and when it is about to stop, it's "weeaw". This lasts about 6-10 seconds and appears at different frequency, sometimes more, sometimes less.

These problems start at random times and don't seem to be linked to any playing technique. (never when I begin playing after having freshly powered the amp, but after ~15 minutes).

I'm clueless ! If I ever manage to catch the moment when one of the noises I mentioned above starts, I will try to record and upload it. 
⛧Am I supposed to post a meme or a joke here ? Let me try... Oh, well, the Black Metal pack doesn't include the joke feature in it.⛧
Last edited by Xeloreye13 at Apr 19, 2017,
What are the gain and volume settings on your amp?

Do you have the volume knob I n your guitar all the way on?

Do you have another guitar or cable to isolate the cause?

And how old are the tubes in your amp?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee The gain is at 7, the presence/reverb/resonance are never higher than 5 and the volume on the guitar knob is usually at 5. The only thing between the amp and the guitar is a distortion pedal I (sometimes) use. The noises appear even when the pedal is deactivated.
And I don't know how old the tubes are, since this amp was previously owned by my older brother. He offered it to me because he bought a less noisy amp (these amps are quite noisy by themselves if you don't have a noise gate), since he started to play different things. I'm gonna ask him when I can
⛧Am I supposed to post a meme or a joke here ? Let me try... Oh, well, the Black Metal pack doesn't include the joke feature in it.⛧
Xeloreye13 What channel are you using on your amp and what is the volume on the amp set to?  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
You need to take it in for service.

Motorboating is the audible effect of parasitic oscillation from dried out electrolytic capacitors... can be caps for either the pre-amp or the power amp stages. Since you are also getting volume changes, the tech will probably examine the power amp stage's power supply caps.

*** Don't try this yourself. These caps hold deadly charges even when the amp is turned off. The tech will know how to check them safely. ***
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
I agree with PlusPaul you need to take it to a qualified tube amp service tech, and I couldn't stress more not to try this yourself it is indeed very dangerous!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 20, 2017,