Poll: WHat Guage Strings Do You Use?
Poll Options
View poll results: WHat Guage Strings Do You Use?
008 -
0 0%
009 -
11 32%
010 -
18 53%
My fingers are sausages
3 9%
I Play Jazz Guitar
2 6%
Voters: 34.
Page 1 of 2
I used 008 - 038 for years when I was a youngun, but then I bought a guitar a few months ago that came with 010 - 046 liked the sound, and stayed with them. Though I've been playing since January, I still have troubles bending up a whole note on the G string and controlling it.
I've considered switch back, but I'm curious what others use.
Last edited by 33db at Apr 21, 2017,
well this thread hasn't been done before   (this week) 

i use 9s on most of my guitars except 1 strat that has 10s. 
Started on 9-42 in the 90's, switched to 12-52 or 11-49 depending upon guitar in use during the late 90's and early 00's, been on 10-46 since 2007 and will probably stay there for the foreseeable future.  
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Apr 21, 2017,
Quote by monwobobbo
well this thread hasn't been done before   (this week) 

i use 9s on most of my guitars except 1 strat that has 10s. 

I did do a search for "gauge" I didn't see any recent threads with my specific question, but yeah I imagine it's common.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Started on 9-42 in the 90's, switched to 12-52 or 11-49 depending upon guitar in use during the late 90's and early 00's, been on 10-46 since 2007 and will probably stay there for the foreseeable future.  

Krikey... 12, you must have sausagey fingers.
Was on 10's for years and recently switched to 9's - they breathe better on my guitar ( silhouette special Musicman). The 10's were too tight and limited the tones you could get.

On my Strat 10's are good. It depends on the guitar and style of play.
Quote by reverb66
Was on 10's for years and recently switched to 9's - they breathe better on my guitar ( silhouette special Musicman). The 10's were too tight and limited the tones you could get.

On my Strat 10's are good. It depends on the guitar and style of play.

Not sure what you mean they breathe better, but I slung some 010's on my strat and they definitely feel easier to bend, and feel like they have less tension than the Agile.
I'm assuming it's the tremolo, not sure though.
33db Not really.  Hands are fairly average if not a touch under.  Was running drop C tuning at the time on a 25.5 scale.  Used thicker strings to keep up a decent amount of tension.  Not really a shredder as much as I am a chugger and chord player.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by 33db
Not sure what you mean they breathe better, but I slung some 010's on my strat and they definitely feel easier to bend, and feel like they have less tension than the Agile.
I'm assuming it's the tremolo, not sure though.

The silhouette has a small neck and the smaller strings seem to ring out better - hard to explain. You definitely have more options for complex vibratos and vibratos on chord voicings.

The one drawback is that you get less resistance from the strings when picking fast, which makes it a tad more difficult for that. Legato is a dream though.
For the majority of my electrics, 10-52s or 11-49s are my preference, depending on the guitar. 12-52 at the very least on acoustics or electric guitars that I have set up for playing jazz styles (which I treat like acoustics, where playability is concerned).

I don't have fat fingers though, I actually have really thin fingers.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
No poll options higher than 010?

I play rock/metal and jazz and I use 010s and 011s on electrics and 012s on acoustics.

I can't fathom how people could play on 009s (or 008s even!). I need the strings to give some sort of resistance.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by RDSElite
No poll options higher than 010?

Yeah there are, sausage and jazz.

I really didn't expect anyone to play over 010's, I have trouble controlling them in bends, granted I've only been playing since January but you would think I would have acclimated by now.

Does it sound strange that strings feel easier to bend for me when using a heavy distortion or fuzz over a clean setting?
Last edited by 33db at Apr 22, 2017,
Quote by 33db

I really didn't expect anyone to play over 010's, I have trouble controlling them in bends, granted I've only been playing since January but you would think I would have acclimated by now
Well that's your problem Bends take time to master - but 10s aren't by any means the limit of bendable strings. I play 11s because they make muting substantially easier for funk type stuff - and I bend plenty. For a couple years I used 10-52 but didn't like the transition between tight strings and looser, and after that for a while 12-54. That was too much - when I wasn't playing a couple hours a day (I rarely was) I quickly lost the endurance necessary to really deal with them. For the rhythm stuff they were great but my finger joints were telling me no thanks to bends and I've used 11s ever since, for about a year and a half now I think. I doubt I'll change it any time soon - I really don't like playing rhythm guitar on lighter strings and I don't mean to risk my hands with heavier.

Strings for sausage fingers are 13s, like SRV used to play
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
My high E is a 15 on my 8 string.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by 33db

I really didn't expect anyone to play over 010's, I have trouble controlling them in bends, granted I've only been playing since January but you would think I would have acclimated by now.

Does it sound strange that strings feel easier to bend for me when using a heavy distortion or fuzz over a clean setting?

l2nplay?

i've been going a little bit lighter only because i've been moving towards 7s and 8s in down tunings and equalizing those to an 11 set at 25.5 for E would require me to use .100 strings on my sevens. 
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
For me it depends on the guitar, for strats 9 or 10 gauge is fine but in a Les Paul the 9's just don't feel right for me, prefer 10's.
I use 10's on everything. The songs I play are seldom improved by bending, so I seldom bend. I like hearing other guitarists bend when they play songs that bending works for. 

I also use the same strings on my 6-string electric and my 6-string acoustic, since my acoustic has an magnetic soundhole pickup instead of a piezo. I also use 10's on my 12-strings, though the electric gets electric strings and the piezo-equipped acoustic gets phosphor-bronze. 
Quote by AcousticMirror
l2nplay? 

Is that supposed to be learn to play? *laugh*

I'm not doing too bad it's only been since January, I'm still curious if other people feel that heavy distortion or fuzz make the strings seem easier to bend, I know it's the same string but for me it does seem easier to bend distorted/fuzzed than clean.
Quote by theogonia777
My high E is a 15 on my 8 string.

But you took a G string and put it there correct? Is there a set of strings that start with 015 and go up?
I found this article illuminating, I have never put that much thought into string gauges.
https://www.stringjoy.com/jimi-hendrixs-guitar-string-gauges/
“The big difference there is that you’re using the .015 for the third, because if you use the .017 for the third, the actual sound of the guitar is very G-heavy. The electrical output of the strings is dependent on the square of the diameter; if you square all the diameters and look at them, you can get much more of an idea about the balance of the guitar.

You should always remember that, because many, many times people use a set of strings that are completely imbalanced and they just don’t sound that good. Most people would say a .010 to .013 is the correct jump. And the .015 is much better for the G than a .017. An .015 squares out at .225 and .017 is 289. So you’re going to get 28 percent more output just with a two-pound different in string size.”
Quote by 33db
 Is that supposed to be learn to play? *laugh*

I'm not doing too bad it's only been since January, I'm still curious if other people feel that heavy distortion or fuzz make the strings seem easier to bend, I know it's the same string but for me it does seem easier to bend distorted/fuzzed than clean.

how can it make a difference you need x amount of additional tension to bend the note to the next semitone. distortion isn't going to change that. the only thing is that the added harmonic content you think you hit the note when you actually haven't. that might sound fine when you are by yourself but it will sound bad if you play with others. 

is that string joy paragraph google translated. i love stringjoy but what the what. oh they are quoting hendrix's guitar tech. drugs are bad kids.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Apr 22, 2017,
Quote by 33db
But you took a G string and put it there correct? Is there a set of strings that start with 015 and go up?
I'm fairly sure the point is that it's a pedal steel.

Quote by 33db
I found this article illuminating, I have never put that much thought into string gauges.
https://www.stringjoy.com/jimi-hendrixs-guitar-string-gauges/
Hendrix played in the era of Fender's staggered pickup poles - a lot of people dislike the volume balance of the strings with that setup, which may explain the focus on that. In general, standard sets are put together with more regard to a relatively even feel across the set, with the exception of hybrid sets which go for easy bending but nice tight bass-side strings.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Apr 22, 2017,
Quote by AcousticMirror
how can it make a difference you need x amount of additional tension to bend the note to the next semitone. distortion isn't going to change that. the only thing is that the added harmonic content you think you hit the note when you actually haven't. that might sound fine when you are by yourself but it will sound bad if you play with others. 

is that string joy paragraph google translated. i love stringjoy but what the what. oh they are quoting hendrix's guitar tech. drugs are bad kids.

I don't know why it makes a difference, and I did state I realize it's still the same string and so the same amount of energy to bend it is implied.
But it does make a difference for me, and I can tell when it's on the note and when it isn't.

As for the string joy article that was a quote from Roger Mayer, you can just highlight the text, right click, and select Google search.
Here's yet another article with Mayer saying the same thing, and now I think I get why my strat annoys me so much, I'm going to try a lower gauge G string on it and see if that solves the odd sound it has.
http://www.guitarworld.com/features-news-interviews/secrets-jimi-hendrixs-guitar-setup-interview-roger-mayer/11678
Last edited by 33db at Apr 22, 2017,
Quote by 33db
I don 't why it makes a difference, and I did state I realize it's still the same string and so the same amount of energy to bend it is implied.
But it does make a difference, and I can tell when it's on the note and when it isn't.

As for the string joy article that was a quote from Roger Mayer, you can just highlight the text, right click, and select Google search.
Here's yet another article with Mayer saying the same thing, and now I think I get why my strat annoys me so much, I'm going to try a lower gauge G string on it and see if that solves the odd sound it has.
http://www.guitarworld.com/features-news-interviews/secrets-jimi-hendrixs-guitar-setup-interview-roger-mayer/11678

do you have vintage non-adjustable pole pieces on your strat pickups. cuz we've solved that problem other ways now.
Quote by AcousticMirror
there's also no such thing as a string just for g. 

Why would you even think that's what I meant, when you buy a pack of strings there is definitely a string that is meant to be used as the G, though you could string it in the high E position.
Quote by 33db
Why would you even think that's what I meant, when you buy a pack of strings there is definitely a string that is meant to be used as the G, though you could string it in the high E position.

but then what would you use for your g string? you talking crazy man.
Quote by AcousticMirror
but then what would you use for your g string? you talking crazy man.

Not any crazier than 8 string guitars... and elaborate tunings.
The way some of the people here talk I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if someone was trying to create some unholy sitar/guitar hybrid.
Quote by 33db
Not any crazier than 8 string guitars... and elaborate tunings.
The way some of the people here talk I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if someone was trying to create some unholy sitar/guitar hybrid.
it's been done

(this isn't even close to the first, either, it's just the nicest imo)
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I just solved my sound problem on the strat that's been driving me crazy.
I pushed the D and G poles down and now it sounds much much better.
*awaits criticism*
Page 1 of 2