Hello all,

I'm planning on buying a second guitar for my current gear. Currently, this is what I have:
-Ibanez S521 MOL (modified with Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 and Jazz SH-2N pickups)
-Shure GLXD16 Guitar Wireless System
-Vox V847A Wah (my profile page is a bit outdated - I recently phased out of Zoom G5 in front of my tube amp)
-Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
-Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
-Randall RM50
-Zoom G3X (for Effects Loop)

A few things about me:
-I play mostly power metal, and I just formed my own band (still looking for a drummer though!)
-I use D'addario 10-46 strings
-I also do guitar covers on YouTube, some of which demands alternate tunings such as Drop D, half-step down, Drop C#, etc. but when I'm in my power metal band we stick to half-step down and Drop C# tunings

I have a budget of CAD$2350 including tax, part of which will go towards the following:
-Voodoo Lab Power Supply (currently using a daisy chain, I am hoping that this will supply a proper amount of power to my pedals)
-Stagemaster Pedalboard
-Yorkville cables for my pedals
-Boss TU-3 Tuner (my wireless system does come with a tuner but this means I need to keep my transmitter charged at all times, and at this time I only have one transmitter to work with)
-2 6L6 preamp tubes for my Randall RM50

This leaves me with a budget of CAD$1400 including tax to spend on my next guitar. I've been looking around the Long & McQuade catalogue for some options and these guitars are what impressed me so far:
1. Ibanez Iron Label SIX6FDFM
PROS:
-Great neck feel and overall construction, similar to my Ibanez S521 MOL
-24 frets easy access
-Reverse headstock brings a unique guitar playing experience
-Fixed bridge with locking tuners - flexible tunings are easily accessible
CONS:
-No fret inlays in the front - no big deal for playability, but this will be a challenge when I'm in a metal band and trying to teach my two other guitarists and a bassist how to play their parts
-DiMarzio pickups - I haven't had much luck from DiMarzios when it comes to getting a decent crunchy tone that can cut through the mix
-Spare parts are somewhat Ibanez-specific, especially the pickup selector. If I need to switch it out then Long & McQuade needs to order them from the American Ibanez factory, which can take weeks for the spare parts to arrive.

2. Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1 (the new version)
PROS:
-Floyd Rose FRT-O1000 - passable Floyd Rose system in comparison to the cheap, licensed counterparts that I've tried before in the past
-Seymour Duncan pickups
-Compound Radius fretboard
-Spare parts are readily accessible, similar to a Fender Stratocaster. If I need to install new volume/tone pots and/or pickup selectors, then the guitar shops have parts that are compatible with the San Dimas
CONS:
-22 frets - REALLY? I've just started composing power metal songs and some of my guitar solos demand high bends at frets higher than the 22nd fret.
-Recessed Floyd Rose - Major turn-off if I'm trying to switch in-between tunings (mainly because of the fact that I do guitar covers on YouTube as well and ever since I ditched the Zoom G5 I no longer have easy access to artificial drop tunings, even worse because of a recessed cavity, what a mischief! Hello Charvel, ever heard of a fucking D-Tuna?! A lot of the bands never stick to just one tuning anymore!)
-Direct Mount pickups - big hassle if I'm trying to adjust the pickup height

3. EVH Stripe
PROS:
-EVH bridge has a hot output, suitable for metal music
-D-Tuna - finally, a tremolo bridge that lets me switch in-between tunings
-Simple yet sturdy setup
CONS:
-EVH Floyd Rose with a D-Tuna - not as bad as the Charvel guitar in terms of tuning flexibility, but the tuning stability isn't really up to par in comparison to its original counterpart (can possibly be blamed on the corroded strings, but I'm not too sure on this)
-22 frets, Direct Mount pickups (please see Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1's cons)

So, what do you guys think? Which of the three guitars do you guys think I should go for?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Regards,
parhelia_0000
Last edited by parhelia_0000 at Apr 21, 2017,
if being able to change tunings easily is a need then skip guitars with floyds as that just isn't gonna happen with them.  a recessed floyd should be a pro as it's way better for hand placement. 

why would no fret markers be an issue for teaching. if the guys you have are competent players then that shouldn't present a problem at all. 
Quote by monwobobbo
if being able to change tunings easily is a need then skip guitars with floyds as that just isn't gonna happen with them.  a recessed floyd should be a pro as it's way better for hand placement. 

why would no fret markers be an issue for teaching. if the guys you have are competent players then that shouldn't present a problem at all. 

I do teach guitar lessons on the side as a part-time job, really. It's not a biggie for my bandmates but my students do sometimes ask for a fret number reference.
Regards,
parhelia_0000
Quote by parhelia_0000
I do teach guitar lessons on the side as a part-time job, really. It's not a biggie for my bandmates but my students do sometimes ask for a fret number reference.

sure i understand that but since there are markers o the side of the neck you'd be able to say easy enough or just not use that guitar when teaching. 
Quote by monwobobbo
sure i understand that but since there are markers o the side of the neck you'd be able to say easy enough or just not use that guitar when teaching. 

Ah, fair enough.

By the way, question on the Boss NS-2: is it advisable to use the DC Out jack for daisy chaining my other pedals (except Zoom G3X) or should I still invest in a dedicated power supply? 'Cause if I skip the Voodoo Lab power supply I can potentially push the guitar budget a bit further into an Ibanez RG652FX.
Regards,
parhelia_0000
If the stuff you're composing requires 24 frets, don't even bother looking at the 22 fret guitars.

I have to say, though, that if you're intent on using multiple tunings as well, looking for a pair of guitars with appropriate specs on the used market might be a better plan than a single new one.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
If the stuff you're composing requires 24 frets, don't even bother looking at the 22 fret guitars.  

I have to say, though, that if you're intent on using multiple tunings as well, looking for a pair of guitars with appropriate specs on the used market might be a better plan than a single new one.

LOL I wish I could, but sadly the Waterloo, ON location of Long & McQuade has a lot of Ibanez GIO dud's and just one Prestige guitar, the RG652FX that has been sitting in the shop for probably at least a year.

If I'm to have access to more guitars to buy I have to travel to Burlington to get it but the used market is so unreliable and the used guitars on stock are so inconsistent - too many Fenders and PRS, with not one single useful guitar that's suitable for metal.

Worst comes to worst I'll skip the Voodoo Lab power supply and try to save up for the RG652FX.
Regards,
parhelia_0000
Consider shopping online. Reputable sellers will have good return policies, so risks will be minimal.

(My collection is around 30 axes, most of which were purchased over the phone or online.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Consider shopping online.  Reputable sellers will have good return policies, so risks will be minimal.  

(My collection is around 30 axes, most of which were purchased over the phone or online.)

I'm not that very knowledgeable of reputable sellers here in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, and as much as it's tempting to go on Craigslist I refuse to risk myself to duds that I can't return (learned it the hard way once before).

But yeah, I'll see what I can do. I'm still wondering as to whether to use the Boss NS-2 as a daisy chain power supply would still be a good idea or not though.
Regards,
parhelia_0000
I'm not a Craigslist fan, myself.

Reverb.com, eBay, GC, Sam Ash, MusicGoRound and other retailers who sell used gear online are who I use. Some are USA only, others will ship internationally or are actually located in other countries. My first Fret-King came directly from a small shop in England. And if you look, some retailers, chains and even builders have virtual shops on Reverb, eBay, and even Amazon.

Just pay attention to their shipping & return policies, and you should be OK.

Quote by parhelia_0000
Ah, fair enough.

By the way, question on the Boss NS-2: is it advisable to use the DC Out jack for daisy chaining my other pedals (except Zoom G3X) or should I still invest in a dedicated power supply? 'Cause if I skip the Voodoo Lab power supply I can potentially push the guitar budget a bit further into an Ibanez RG652FX.

not real familiar with the NS-2. i use a one spot to power my pedals though i have a small board. 
I'm not entirely sure why you're looking at 22 fret guitars when you want to play songs that require bending to F#.

Nor am I entirely sure why you're looking at guitars with Floyd Rose bridges when you intend to play in many different tunings with this guitar. They're a huge pain in the ass.

But if you really, really want a Floyd and you're willing to put up with the ballache of having to re-set up everything just to tune the guitar down a half step then it depends on how noisy the rest of your guitar rig is. If it's noisy, get the voodoo labs power supply. If it isn't, get the 652.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'm not entirely sure why you're looking at 22 fret guitars when you want to play songs that require bending to F#.

Nor am I entirely sure why you're looking at guitars with Floyd Rose bridges when you intend to play in many different tunings with this guitar. They're a huge pain in the ass.

But if you really, really want a Floyd and you're willing to put up with the ballache of having to re-set up everything just to tune the guitar down a half step then it depends on how noisy the rest of your guitar rig is. If it's noisy, get the voodoo labs power supply. If it isn't, get the 652.

It's just that I was trying to look for decently built guitars instead of the starter Squiers and Epiphone's that were in stock like mountains at local shops.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Reverb.com, eBay, GC, Sam Ash, MusicGoRound and other retailers who sell used gear online are who I use.  Some are USA only, others will ship internationally or are actually located in other countries.  My first Fret-King came directly from a small shop in England.  And if you look, some retailers, chains and even builders have virtual shops on Reverb, eBay, and even Amazon.

Ah, fair enough, although I must say that shipping costs will still make things expensive. But good point you made there, good sir.

UPDATE: I just tested the NS-2's DC Out daisy chain. The circuitry is super-silent, with the only hiss coming from my amp's crunch channel. This means I can skip the Voodoo Lab power supply and push my budget a bit higher into CAD$1800 including tax for a new guitar.
Regards,
parhelia_0000
Last edited by parhelia_0000 at Apr 21, 2017,
parhelia_0000

I don't know this particular guitar, but just as a for example, here's a 2015 Ibanez with 24 frets. It ships free in the USA, anywhere else is negotiable.

https://reverb.com/item/676813-new-2015-ibanez-s-771-hsh-poplar-burl-6-string-electric-guitar-mahogany-body#description-tab

Like I said, I don't know that axe or even if that's the kind of guitar that floats your boat. That's just on example of @4000 electric guitars priced under $700 USD on Reverb- a possible route for you to stretch your budget and satisfy all your needs.

dannyalcatraz Thank you for the link. If the guitar comes with stock pickups then I'm concerned about having to cash in additional money to swap out the pickups for brand ones because I've had INF pickups lose output on me back when my S521 had stock pickups.

But having said that, it is the type of guitar that floats my boat. It's just that I tend to be a bit picky when it comes to specifications, such as brand pickups, locking tuners, tuning flexibility, 24 frets, overall resonance, etc.
Regards,
parhelia_0000
$1400 could buy a pretty nice guitar at Warmoth. Then you can choose any style, parts etc. that you like. I have one of their necks on my partcaster and I must say they're beautiful necks. You have to build the guitar online and assemble it yourself but they do all the hard stuff like bridge mounts etc. Sometimes I go there and build fantasy guitars just for the fun of it.
http://www.warmoth.com/
Last edited by Ed_Grimley at Apr 22, 2017,
parhelia_0000

Best of luck on your axe hunt!

dannyalcatraz Thank you for your best wishes! I am currently looking into Ibanez Iron Label and Prestige guitars at the moment, but I will have a look at other guitars as well if I have the time.
Regards,
parhelia_0000
Patience is your friend! I can't tell you how many ridiculous used guitar deals I've stumbled across, or how good some of those Musicians' Friend "Stupid Deal of the Day" can be.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Reverb.com, eBay, GC, Sam Ash, MusicGoRound and other retailers who sell used gear online are who I use.  Some are USA only, others will ship internationally or are actually located in other countries.  My first Fret-King came directly from a small shop in England.  And if you look, some retailers, chains and even builders have virtual shops on Reverb, eBay, and even Amazon.

All of those places, including Craigslist, are the cyber equivalents of old-fashioned shopping malls. Each seller at those sites is like an individual store in a mall. You'll find good stores, bad stores, reputable stores, stores of ill repute, and every other kind at some sort of mall somewhere. The cyber malls are no different. You're 100% correct about companies with brick-and-mortar stores also selling on the cyber malls. But don't forget that there are also some little tiny "small shops" that also sell through the cyber malls. I got my Dean Boca 12 string from just such a small guitar store somewhere in Arizona, through their presence on Reverb.com.

The advantage of Craigslist is you're usually only going to encounter individuals who aren't connected to a store, like eBay used to be. Buy something from some local guy you meet with in a parking lot somewhere is not for the faint-hearted. But it's no safer nor more dangerous than buying something from some guy who pinned a notice to the bulletin board in the grocery store, back when such things existed, or who advertised in the local direct mail classified newspaper, back when those existed. 
Here in D/FW, we had a rash of assaults, robberies and even homicides set up by faux Craigslist ads, covering many months. That kind of snuffed out any notion of using it for me.

Not that I'm a big fan of carrying loads of cash, either.