Actually two of them.

Thing is, everyone says that I should because it's not a bad job, I even get paid leave regularly, but I don't exactly have a great track record with my teaching ability, nor does the idea really interest me, which is one of the worst attitudes a teacher could have honestly. According to various people I've greatly improved my ability to communicate ideas to people, and I did teach a friend of mine basic guitar ideas a while ago to the point where she's now getting pretty good on her own.

I'm swayed towards this by the fact that the place that asked me wants me as a piano teacher, which could mean I could get my students' business as a piano Tuner, that I actually love, but is currently very slow.

Tl;dr they want me to teach piano and idk about it

What do pit?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I have been watching Paul Gilbert A LOT recently. He was actually a tutor before he entered Rock N Roll bad ass territory. Can you believe the school fired him because he was more focused on showing off than teaching? The students complained and then he was subsequently fired soon after.

Jesus Christ, if I could spent just a year with the guy... He taught Buckethead.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
My advice is don't think about success in the long run, think about satisfaction in doing what you do.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Well, it's not like you'd be an indentured tutor and working there until you're 60, right?

Just be up front with them about your concerns, so if you did decide to ditch it, it wouldn't be coming out of nowhere.
Someone's offering me money to do the thing I can recall doing for free a few weeks ago? Better hide under the bed.
How much commitment does the position ask from you? I might encourage you to at least try it to really solidify your stance on teaching. Normally, I'd tell you to do it to see if it really appeals to you and maybe put the tuning business on hold for a little while. I have to imagine piano tuning is a really slow business, especially if you work freelance in Nowhere, Australia. But if the position doesn't allow you to leave on short notice, then I'd have to tell you not to do it. If it requires a lot of commitment, then I'd say turn down the offer. 

Teaching isn't one of those jobs you should pursue just because you need the cash. It's pretty irresponsible being in that position without any real interest. It's unfair to your students, and it could really put them off of the idea of playing the piano if their teacher is more interested in flogging his business than actually doing the job. After having been a student pretty much my entire life, I have to say that the instructor really makes or breaks the class for me.

I don't know the requirements of this specific job, but teaching really requires you to be engaged in several aspects. Not only do you have to be engaged with your students during class time, but it takes time out of your scheduled hours, as well, having to make up lesson plans, grading, and what-have-you.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
My advice is don't think about success in the long run, think about satisfaction in doing what you do.

That advice would be great if I could eat it or give it to my landlord in lieu of rent money.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
How much commitment does the position ask from you? I might encourage you to at least try it to really solidify your stance on teaching. Normally, I'd tell you to do it to see if it really appeals to you and maybe put the tuning business on hold for a little while. I have to imagine piano tuning is a really slow business, especially if you work freelance in Nowhere, Australia. But if the position doesn't allow you to leave on short notice, then I'd have to tell you not to do it. If it requires a lot of commitment, then I'd say turn down the offer. 

Teaching isn't one of those jobs you should pursue just because you need the cash. It's pretty irresponsible being in that position without any real interest. It's unfair to your students, and it could really put them off of the idea of playing the piano if their teacher is more interested in flogging his business than actually doing the job. After having been a student pretty much my entire life, I have to say that the instructor really makes or breaks the class for me.

I don't know the requirements of this specific job, but teaching really requires you to be engaged in several aspects. Not only do you have to be engaged with your students during class time, but it takes time out of your scheduled hours, as well, having to make up lesson plans, grading, and what-have-you.

That advice would be great if I could eat it or give it to my landlord in lieu of rent money.

The main one would be extremely committed, and is at the only local musical training establishment, but the second one (at a local music store) would be far more relaxed and probably less busy, albeit also with less pay (which with this is still the least of my concerns).

And becoming a teacher who's only teaching to pay the bills is the thing I dread becoming, I don't want to ruin some poor person's hopes of learning the piano by not really being enthralled by my student. I've had shitty boring teachers before and I don't want to be that.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Pastafarian96
Do it, it's music related, you stated yourself it would be good for your tuning business.
Plus it's indoors, yeah I would do it.
just do what you feel like doing

but it's good to push your comfort zone and try new things
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

my advice is do something
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by Pastafarian96
I don't want to ruin some poor person's hopes of learning the piano by not really being enthralled by my student. I've had shitty boring teachers before and I don't want to be that.

I'm not enthralled by pot seeds, I do like what they become, take a chance, try it out, it may be your thing.
You never know unless you try.
You can teach well even if you're not in love with teaching. Just because you're not totally into it doesn't mean you can't easily exceed the requirements of teaching. Ive had plenty of jobs that I've hated but have excelled at
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Carnivean
You can teach well even if you're not in love with teaching. Just because you're not totally into it doesn't mean you can't easily exceed the requirements of teaching. Ive had plenty of jobs that I've hated but have excelled at
good point

also, you said your other work was slow, so I guess it really depends on how content you are with being in some extra down time. personally, i'd be all for it just from the extra money aspect of it as long as it wasn't interfering in my regular job. who knows what else could come from taking the position too. opportunities can sometimes come from places you'd never expect. the more people you're in contact with, the better
" nor does the idea really interest me "

That right there should tell you what to do.  Why do something you don't want to do??
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Quote by MurrcuryFoxx
" nor does the idea really interest me "

That right there should tell you what to do.  Why do something you don't want to do??

Because both of my parents are potentially about to be in the shit monetarily and I'll wind up as the breadwinner
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96
Because both of my parents are potentially about to be in the shit monetarily and I'll wind up as the breadwinner

Maybe it's just me but that still isn't a good reason to do something you don't want to do.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Quote by Pastafarian96

And becoming a teacher who's only teaching to pay the bills is the thing I dread becoming, I don't want to ruin some poor person's hopes of learning the piano by not really being enthralled by my student. I've had shitty boring teachers before and I don't want to be that.

Everyone has to pay their bills. Most music teachers I've met never intended to teach for a living. Think about it as being paid to talk about something you love.

You are going to have students that are just not interested. They will get frustrated and probably quit. Don't blame yourself. Think about how many things you tried to do as a kid and eventually gave up on. 
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Apr 23, 2017,
I'd say go for it. If you don't like it, you can quit and do something else. 
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by MurrcuryFoxx
Maybe it's just me but that still isn't a good reason to do something you don't want to do.

It isn't, but my mother won't drop the subject

Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Everyone has to pay their bills. Most music teachers I've met never intended to teach for a living. Think about it as being paid to talk about something you love.

You are going to have students that are just not interested. They will get frustrated and probably quit. Don't blame yourself. Think about how many things you tried to do as a kid and eventually gave up on. 

This kind of fills me with ease. I feel much better about my chances anyway.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297