I'm very interested in starting a channel on YouTube for gear reviews, but I have zero idea how to go about recording for these kinds of videos.  I have an excellent camera, a Nikon D800 that will record 1080p videos, I just want to have crystal clear audio with that, both for vocals and for guitar.  I don't know if it's 2 separate videos, one with a lapel mic and one with the mic'd amp or what, just looking for advice here!

If it also helps, I have all Adobe products (Audition, After Effects, and Premiere) for use for recording/video. 

I have the graphics side of stuff down, just need help with the audio. Any advice welcome!!
Typically, you'd use multiple audio tracks and sync them up in your video editor with the camera footage.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
If you're reviewing a guitar, just put the amp's EQ settings all at noon, with just a little bit of reverb. You should be reviewing the guitar, not the amp. 

When you demonstrate the guitar, demonstrate what the guitar is capable of, not your own personal shredding skills. 

After someone has watched a good YouTube guitar demo, they should have a good idea of the features of the guitar, and what they can expect it do sound like when they play it. 

If you want to see some really good reviews, check out Mark Agnesi's "Guitar of the Day" on Norman's Rare Guitars and anything by Paul Riario from Guitar World. You'll also find a lot of people don't like their reviews because those two don't overly dazzle everyone with their personal playing skills. They only demonstrate the guitar. Too many people can't grasp that demonstrating the guitar is the point of a guitar demo video. 
I'm not concerned with How to review the guitar, pedals, etc.. but how to record it being able to talk and play both with great audio.
Quote by CHalbach
I'm not concerned with How to review the guitar, pedals, etc.. but how to record it being able to talk and play both with great audio.

Buy a pair of pair of Eden LT-386 mics, or maybe some Neuman Berlin M 149's. And don't scrimp on the boom stands for the mics. 

And, if you want great audio on talking, make sure you can talk great. Make sure you don't mumble. Pronounce your words carefully. If your voice is a little weak, set all the EQ's to noon, and add a little reverb. 
Quote by CHalbach
I'm very interested in starting a channel on YouTube for gear reviews, but I have zero idea how to go about recording for these kinds of videos.  I have an excellent camera, a Nikon D800 that will record 1080p videos, I just want to have crystal clear audio with that, both for vocals and for guitar.  I don't know if it's 2 separate videos, one with a lapel mic and one with the mic'd amp or what, just looking for advice here!

If it also helps, I have all Adobe products (Audition, After Effects, and Premiere) for use for recording/video. 

I have the graphics side of stuff down, just need help with the audio. Any advice welcome!!

You need a 2 channel audio interface ( see Sweetwater site and search by price range  - Focusrite, Tascam etc. make good affordable ones) - then mic your amp and mic your  voice - record those on separate channels using Adobe Audition.  Then import those wav files into your Video Project in Premier, line them up with the video, and mute the audio recorded by the Nikon, so that you only hear the well recorded audio.
You need to record the audio separately. I don't do reviews but I might use regular mics into my interface or more likely one of my portable recorders like my Zoom H2n or R8. Personally I prefer use a dynamic mic like an SM57. Something fairly neutral, carioid pattern and won't pickup extraneous sounds like most condensers unless you are using a single mic and need that. 
Just be sure to clap or play loud note on the guitar at the beginning and record audio on both camera and whatever else you are using. You need that clap to help sync the audio to the video. 
It may sound old school and corny but I bought one of these last year and for $15 it works great. Use it at the beginning of each shot and later line up the audio click with the frame that shows the closing of the clap board. Cheap, simple, very old school. The one I linked below has a dry erase heavy plastic surface and the clappers are metal and the sound they make is pretty big.

https://www.amazon.com/CHESEY-Director-Clapboard-Clapper-Acrylic/dp/B01N5FD9V1/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1493648160&sr=8-7&keywords=movie+clapboard
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 1, 2017,
Quote by reverb66
good point " webjunk" -I usually tap a 4 count before I start playing so I can use that to line up the video.

You want a very loud spike in audio to sync with. Then you can visually see the spike on both audio tracks and can get the wave of those spikes completely in sync. Or at the least you can scrub/jog the video and audio to hearing that spike.