So I bought a guitar cable and an adapter(1/4 to 1/8) to plug into my laptop, which only has 1 headphone jack. Downloaded ASIO4ALL and got Guitar Rig 5. Once plugged in, the guitar makes no sound in the laptop and the IN/OUT bars in GR5 are dead. I've attempted the exclusive mode fix and checking the Resample 44.1 to 48 kHz box. I'm not using any physical audio interface. Any ideas?

Image is when guitar is connected.
Depends on your laptop,   Some have a combo headphone/microphone jack in which case you need to go to your control panel and select it as an input and others will not support this function and only work as a headphone jack, Meaning your SOL,   So without knowing what laptop you have one can only guess, 
what laoptop is it? if its a mac you need a special adapter because the 1/4 to 1/8 hits the output port in the mac. you need a mono to stereo 1/4 to 18
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Voradian
So I bought a guitar cable and an adapter(1/4 to 1/8) to plug into my laptop, which only has 1 headphone jack. Downloaded ASIO4ALL and got Guitar Rig 5. Once plugged in, the guitar makes no sound in the laptop and the IN/OUT bars in GR5 are dead. I've attempted the exclusive mode fix and checking the Resample 44.1 to 48 kHz box. I'm not using any physical audio interface. Any ideas?

Image is when guitar is connected.
Firstly, even if you did get the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to send signal, it will sound awful I am sure. Your computer cannot properly read the analog signal sent by your guitar- it needs a digital signal. IIRC, you can end up damaging your computer's sound card doing it like that.

At least get a guitar link cable like these: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=guitar+link

And read this thread: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=guitar+link
Yeah, at least get a behringer guitar link (probably the cheapest option out there). Or just get a dedicated audio interface, they arent that expensive, and they will save you a great deal of trouble and make it much easier to record everything else, if you ever want to. But pluging direct into your computer will not work, or at least work really badly, even with the asio4all drivers.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Well, apparently I found the soulution.
The cable isn't meant to go all the way into the guitar.
Sound is achieved, but what will an audio interface do for me(apart from getting better sound)?
For practice, quality of the sound may not change much, even when upgrading from 1/4 to 1/8 converter to a dedicated interface. What changes is the quality of the signal, in that a converter is totally unreliable, a guitar link will provide a decent latency and consistent signal, also preventing issues such as clipping. It is enough for practice, and some basic recording. You don't really need fully fledged interface until you get deeper into recording, they will provide lower latency when working with multiple tracks in DAWs, allow you to do multitrack recording, track midis etc. I'd recommend a guitar link  for practice, but not behringer's, 10$ chinese ones on amazon are basically the same . Rather than spending 40$ on a behringer, get Alesis Core 1, it is a real audio interface, and you can do high-quality (but one-track only) recording for 50$.
Voradian
Quote by Voradian
Well, apparently I found the soulution.
The cable isn't meant to go all the way into the guitar.
Sound is achieved, but what will an audio interface do for me(apart from getting better sound)?

Buying the appropriate kit will not only significantly improve your results, it will remove the risk of damaging your computer.
What you are doing is the equivalent of using a hammer to fasten a screw.
Go to the Recording forum and read the stickies.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud