I've always been a fan of the Les Paul and have owned 2 in the last 5 years (a traditional and a classic) and neither really did it for me. I played tons of Les Pauls since getting rid of the classic in the hope of finding the Lest Paul for me and a few months ago, I played a bunch of the more expensive Les Pauls Gibson offers and was let down for sure. None of them felt like they were worth their price tag. 

And then today rolled around and I stepped into my local store. Played a 2016 Standard T, a Custom, an R7 and an R9. The Standard was so far from what I wanted I didn't even plug it in. The R7 wasn't my thing and the R9 played well but cost a lot and had a lot of flame, which I'm not a fan of. Enter the 58RI. My god it's the Les Paul I've been looking for. It sounds and plays like a dream. The problem: it's not as well finished as I'd like. Paint bleeding into the binding in a lot of places and I'm just bummed out about other small stuff.

I left, grabbed a drink with a friend and returned. Asked to play it again, and it just fell into place like it should. In the end, I faced the facts and took it home. It's the best Les Paul I've played, period. The finishing isn't amazing, but I'll call it charm. Finishing aside, it just looks, plays and sounds like everything I've wanted it to be and that's a first. The insane discount I got helped a lot in my decision as well.

So, pictures:

So yeah, I've finally found it. It sounded great through the amp in the store and playing it through my Kemper at home only made it sweeter.
It's an amazing guitar in its own way and I very nice addition to what I own.
Nice man!

But where are the P90s  
My God, it's full of stars!
The search is over  

Enter the 58RI. My god it's the Les Paul I've been looking for. It  sounds and plays like a dream. The problem: it's not as well finished as  I'd like. Paint bleeding into the binding in a lot of places and I'm  just bummed out about other small stuff.  

Feh. Maybe for NOW it's over. Gibson tells everyone that the paint bleed is intentional, that the original 58s had some of whatever red stain/dye they used bleed into the binding just like that.  Sure it did. In my experience, not so much.  

I've sort of lost faith in Gibson producing a Les Paul at this point. People working in their garages and basements and out-in-the-back workshops are capable of producing '59 burst replicas that only experts can tell aren't real. But not Gibson. 

If someone dangled one of Gil Varon's best in front of you, or one of Max's or Kris Derrig's, or one of the other guys whose name Shall Not Be Spoken, your search would so be on again. 
It won't be over for long.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
"Oh, sweet mystery of life, at last I've found you!"
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I guess everyone is allowed one les paul.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Very nice, and congrats on finding a guitar you really love

Sometimes a guitar just feels and sounds right and you've gotta go with it. This is the only reason Gibson are able to stay in business, I think Because they have this annoying habit of occasionally making one guitar that you just bond with and will pay any price for regardless of flaws that would otherwise be totally unacceptable for a cheaper guitar, let alone one that costs that much. 

This happened to me with my Les Paul studio which had the red finish smeared all over the side dots and even on the frets and fretboard in some places - but I love that guitar, regardless. It looked trashy as hell, but I just loved playing it too much to care, when I bought it. I was actually a little disappointed when I took it to get some fret wear cleaned up and the luthier took it upon himself to tidy up the finish at no extra cost
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Dreadnought
  Nice man!

But where are the P90s  

In my future R4 probably.  
No, P90's are cool and I'd love to own a P90 Les Paul in the future, but I really wanted humbuckers this time around. 
Quote by dspellman
 Feh. Maybe for NOW it's over. Gibson tells everyone that the paint bleed is intentional, that the original 58s had some of whatever red stain/dye they used bleed into the binding just like that.  Sure it did. In my experience, not so much.  

I've sort of lost faith in Gibson producing a Les Paul at this point. People working in their garages and basements and out-in-the-back workshops are capable of producing '59 burst replicas that only experts can tell aren't real. But not Gibson.

If someone dangled one of Gil Varon's best in front of you, or one of Max's or Kris Derrig's, or one of the other guys whose name Shall Not Be Spoken, your search would so be on again. 

I'll keep it in mind for the next time I don't want to drop 10k on a guitar. ;-)
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It won't be over for long.

Not for other guitars probably, but for Les Pauls it probably will be.
Quote by AcousticMirror
I guess everyone is allowed one les paul.

I'll tell the Mayones to be nice.
awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Jealous!
Very nice!

Quick question.How was the neck on the 57 you tried?Is it really fat?Would it be fatter than my Traditional?
Quote by EyeballPaul
Jealous!
Very nice!

Quick question.How was the neck on the 57 you tried?Is it really fat?Would it be fatter than my Traditional?

Yes, way thicker.
Quote by I K0nijn I
In my future R4 probably.
No, P90's are cool and I'd love to own a P90 Les Paul in the future, but I really wanted humbuckers this time around. 

I'll keep it in mind for the next time I don't want to drop 10k on a guitar. ;-)

Not for other guitars probably, but for Les Pauls it probably will be.

I'll tell the Mayones to be nice.

Don't worry TDB is just jealous cause yours is actually an LP and he has a glorified ESP Eclipse clone that he tries to pretend is otherwise.

Sweet axe and HNLPD
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I've always been a fan of the Les Paul and have owned 2 in the last 5 years (a traditional and a classic) and neither really did it for me. I played tons of Les Pauls since getting rid of the classic in the hope of finding the Lest Paul for me and a few months ago, I played a bunch of the more expensive Les Pauls Gibson offers and was let down for sure. None of them felt like they were worth their price tag.

And then today rolled around and I stepped into my local store. Played a 2016 Standard T, a Custom, an R7 and an R9. The Standard was so far from what I wanted I didn't even plug it in. The R7 wasn't my thing and the R9 played well but cost a lot and had a lot of flame, which I'm not a fan of. Enter the 58RI. My god it's the Les Paul I've been looking for. It sounds and plays like a dream. The problem: it's not as well finished as I'd like. Paint bleeding into the binding in a lot of places and I'm just bummed out about other small stuff.

I left, grabbed a drink with a friend and returned. Asked to play it again, and it just fell into place like it should. In the end, I faced the facts and took it home. It's the best Les Paul I've played, period. The finishing isn't amazing, but I'll call it charm. Finishing aside, it just looks, plays and sounds like everything I've wanted it to be and that's a first. The insane discount I got helped a lot in my decision as well.

So, pictures:

So yeah, I've finally found it. It sounded great through the amp in the store and playing it through my Kemper at home only made it sweeter.
It's an amazing guitar in its own way and I very nice addition to what I own.

Sexy! Congrats!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Don't worry TDB is just jealous cause yours is actually an LP and he has a glorified ESP Eclipse clone that he tries to pretend is otherwise.

Sweet axe and HNLPD