How good am I and how can I improve moving forward and what level would I be at, btw I'm in a band and play to a drum track everytime I practice
Last edited by jay7801jf at Apr 22, 2017,
Nothing wrong with your cover (well, the audio quality could be improved) but it doesn't really give us a good idea of your skills. It's pretty difficult to give you any kind of feedback based on this video. You played the right notes in time, but it was a really simple bassline and it was just repeating the same thing over and over again.

If this is the most difficult thing you can play, then you need to practice more. But if not, play a more challenging song that also has some variation in its basslines.

Also, what does our opinion of your skills matter? If we say that you suck, or if we say that you are amazing, how does it change anything?

If you want to know how you could improve, I think you may want to consider taking lessons.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
MaggaraMarine I was more less asking how my timing and rhythm is but I can play more stuff but I used this as an example but I wanted to get other bassists advice
Okay, your timing is fine, but you're not playing anything difficult. Based on the video, I'd give it a 2/10. I'm a pretty crappy bass player (but a decent guitar player and an outstanding keyboard player <G> and given the choices I have for bass player, I'd probably hire someone else. That's not a slam on what you're doing, but the competition isn't what you hear on mass production records and it isn't whether you can copy someone else's fairly simplistic bass line, but it's more to do with the number of bass players out there who can do extraordinary things and who can *originate* bass lines that help define the band's sound. 

Somewhere on here there's a video of John Entwhistle with the bass line isolated, filming a seminal Who concert. That'll give you something to aspire to. There's also Stanley Clarke, who can show you what can be done with a bass. 

Oh, found one...
Note that the sound doesn't start for a while; it's silent until then.  This would be classified as a very good bass player.

Last edited by dspellman at Apr 23, 2017,
Entwistle
Pastorius
Clarke
Lee
Nitti

Amazing work on complexity and techniques.

Time though, is where complaints come from regarding bassist who will dare attempt the work of these masters.

Working on time will never be a mistake.
Working on time while working on scales and modes will never be a mistake, and what is great about this work is that the ear is trained at the same time in discerning major v Mm7 v.  minor v pentatonic v 6ths v dim5th v sus9 (m2)[by the way lots of that in Foo Fighters and STP, love it after decades of pentatonic blues].

This is where the deposits on Greatness are made.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
dspellmanI can play more complex stuff but as a bassist I prefer not to be flashy but I prefer to fill the low end the right way so it's not all about Someone who can solo and play power chords on bass because I can do that but at time I prefer to keep things simple so that leads to a question of whether you want a guy that can solo and play licks but can't groove or a guy who has good time and rhythm and can make the most of 3 or 4 notes
Last edited by jay7801jf at Apr 24, 2017,
Quote by jay7801jf
dspellmanI can play more complex stuff but as a bassist I prefer not to be flashy but I prefer to fill the low end the right way so it's not all about Someone who can solo and play power chords on bass because I can do that but at time I prefer to keep things simple so that leads to a question of whether you want a guy that can solo and play licks but can't groove or a guy who has good time and rhythm and can make the most of 3 or 4 notes

If I'm forming a band, I prefer a bass player who can be more than just a routine bottom end doing the same three or four notes. That much I can do with the pedals on a Hammond B3, or with the bits and pieces on my Korg Kronos. There are tons of electronics that can do simply bass lines all by themselves.  Good time and rhythm are a given. 

It's not a case of being "flashy," and it's not about someone who can solo. Perhaps I'm spoiled, but I much prefer a bass player who can bring some creativity and some serious chops. Doesn't mean you always have to use them, but there are bass lines and fills that have become so identified with certain songs that the performance itself is materially different without them. 
At the end of the day, just keep practicing. you'll get better than where you are now. Not everyone progresses at the same speed. If you're happy with your talent level, great, if not, also great, just keep plugging away.
dspellman that what I hate about rock heads that form bands, they always want to have so cool bassist that can do some crazy stuff but yet be pissed when the guy can't play to a progression of 3 chords
You just played the same four note bass line for two minutes straight. I'm not saying you're not good at doing that, but you definitely have room to improve if you want to progress in skill. 
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
c3powil y'all don't realized I just said that I have the ability to play more but I just choose not to do all that and y'all said that y'all would choose a different bass player and then you would why so much a talent quits but I might go back to being a nerd
Quote by jay7801jf
dspellman that what I hate about rock heads that form bands, they always want to have so cool bassist that can do some crazy stuff but yet be pissed when the guy can't play to a progression of 3 chords

I'm not a rock head and I don't hire bassists that can't "play to a progression of three chords." I started out playing classical music on a pipe organ, and I played bass with both feet, heel and toe along with playing up to four manuals on the console, playing Bach and Rossini, et al., at a Cathedral in downtown LA. I played jazz piano and Hammond B3 with a trio and a quintet at an airport dive in east St. Louis, in East Dubuque, IL and much, much more,  (including with acoustic bass players) before I started playing rock. Fact is, I expected bass players to be able to transition to a lot more than just three chords, and to be able to know when those transitions were coming up. 

Once again, I'm not trying to trash you, but that video you posted wasn't particularly impressive. But you did ask for a rating and you got one. If you don't want feedback, don't ask. 
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 24, 2017,
dspellmanbut I'm obviously trying to get recognized and to do collaborations But obviously I guess I do this have what it takes besides I have aspergers which cause a lot of my life and emotional struggles
If you are going to ask about how good bassist you are, you want to play something more challenging. Nobody can hear how good you are if you play something that even a beginner could play. At least play something with a bit more variety.

For example the bassline of "Runnin with the Devil" is a really simple bassline that sounds awesome in the context of the song, but if somebody asked me to play something to show off my skills, I would not play "Runnin with the Devil", even though I think it's a great bassline. Same with any AC/DC song. Those songs have basslines that work perfectly for the songs, but it makes no sense to play them if you want advice on how to improve your skills because they are beginner level stuff.

If you want to hear our advice on how to improve your skills, you need to show your weaknesses. Only that way we can tell accurately how good you are.

Of course good bass playing is not about soloing all the time. Good bass playing is about finding a balance between playing interesting stuff and keeping it simple. It's all about serving the song. Sure, playing simple stuff works, but if you are going to auditions, you will never get into a band if you refuse to play anything technically demanding. Of course you don't want to solo all the time. That's not good bass playing either, and actually as a bassist it's quite easy to overplay. Also, what works for one style may not work for another style. Some bands are after a more simple sound whereas other bands sound really busy. Good bass playing is about knowing your role in the band.

I would compare bass playing to drumming. You need to know how to serve the song. Playing interesting stuff is always a plus but you need to also be careful not to overplay. Good bass playing depends a lot on the context (the style you are playing and also what the other instruments are playing).

But if we come back to your original question, based on the video you posted I can't really tell whether you are a beginner or a great bassist. When it comes to what you played in the video, there's not much to be improved. This is why I would suggest playing something more technically demanding. There's nothing wrong with the song you played - it's just not the best bassline for showing off your abilities as a bassist.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
MaggaraMarine I guess I'm not cut out for this shit I should go back to being the fucked up aspergers man I am and just be nothing I mean if I can get in a band for play the way I want then screw it I'll go back to being a nerd
Quote by jay7801jf
MaggaraMarine I guess I'm not cut out for this shit I should go back to being the fucked up aspergers man I am and just be nothing I mean if I can get in a band for play the way I want then screw it I'll go back to being a nerd

If you want to play in a band, I would suggest finding people that like similar music as you do. Also, if you have some musician friends, maybe start a band with them. There are plenty of guitarists and drummers, but bassists are sometimes harder to find. You don't need to be amazing to play in a band, and you don't definitely need to be as good as some of the bassists mentioned in this thread or even play similar stuff as them.

People that are way worse musicians than you have started playing in bands. The comments about auditions were about more "professional" kind of bands - not garage bands that you start with your friends, but bands that play gigs regularly and make some money with it. I would actually suggest joining a band if you don't play in a band at the moment.

I can see why some of the comments may have come off as a bit harsh, but people are trying to help you, not put you down. So take people's advice and use it to improve your playing.

When it comes to the Chuck Berry song, again, it's beginner level stuff. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not a good measure of your skills and there's not much advice we can give you based on it. I would also suggest investing in better recording equipment or at least turning your bass amp up because it's pretty hard to hear what you are playing.

Again, if you want our advice, play something that's technically demanding to you. Something that you had to work on to get it right or maybe something that you can't play perfectly yet.

If you only play songs that are in your comfort zone, you will make little progress.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
MaggaraMarineI now understand I think the issue is that I'm showing you videos made a long time ago even though they were posted recently so I'll find the more recent ones
Re: JBG

I worked with a Guitarist who was not a singer but did it anyway.  It kept the shares fat.

When we did this song it was empty because he doing the singing could not do anything other than straight rhythm,  So I emulated some keyboard riffs and runs to make the tune interesting between his solos.  So the song itself is not inherently and uninteresting song and bass line,  It is what you make of it.

Blues is so open that you can make something unique out of is tune.

Playing the instrument is about loving what sounds you are making.

If you enjoy what you are doing, feeling the breath of the tune, just do that.  More will come, and learning other songs will add to the lines that you will hear come out of the a song as you feel it.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Thanks for the like Jay.

I have a daughter with Asperger's.

What some may consider a disability may for you be an open door to show the world what you see that is before us all, but most miss due to thier drives, bends, and focus.

Genius is rooted in the ability of one individual to show a simple path through what others cannot comprehend a path through.  Check out the movies such a Amadeus for the Musical Genius and amazing Ear of a Trained mind, or even The Aviator, as this guy designed a ship that reached thousands of feet into the ocean and pulled up a sunken Russian Nuke Sub, that was the Exxon Global Explorer.

Your talent might be in the mathematical realm of music which provides an underlying foundation for Melody and compositional structure.  It might be in Engineering, We just do not know what it might be.

As for me, I am so socially dismissive of people I am deemed handicapped and an idiot savant by most who meet me.  It is a peculiar place, anc the rare connect with others in profound reality, even reality made by music, is the pay off. 
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Sliide90027thanks and to be honest I wanna play bass and be good at what I do which is playing it but also being completely comfortable with what I do without​ fearing others
Jay,  in response to your message I want to be supportive, and frankly, it is easy to be supportive, and much more rewarding than being discouraging.

A. So play Bass.  At the early stages it is more important to do things than it is to know what your are doing or why you are doing it.  Like me being an electrician apprentice, it is more important to be experiential, learn techniques, and get paid than it is to know why I do what I do.  Theory and rules come later after competent and proper training at execution.  Not really different with the Bass for the purposes of this conversation.  Play, challenge, and you will have fun if this is what you love.

B.  Being good is going to be subjective to the eyes of those who are going to discourage you because they cannot, those who are learned and do not understand you or your potential, and those who encourage you because they sense heart and talent.  What will not be subjective is meter. Jaco Pastorus once claimed that whether or not the note he is presently playing can be determined to be wrong is completely dependent upon the note that follows.  Silly phrase about passing notes, but he was mostly correct, and as you begin to understand where you are going notationally in a song, you will learn how to recover from errors and arrive at the destination you intended and accent that arrival to make the listener forget that you took him around the creek to get there.  The Point?  To be good, keep playing.

C. Fear v. Confidence - Confidence comes only by Practice (Doctors Practice too you see) and performance, so play, record, play back listen.  Fear will always be around and follows right behind doubt. So Practice so that you know where you are and what you are supposed to be doing, and doubt will not open the door to fear.  

Now, mind you, this comes from a guy who will take the stage at an Open Mic/Jam for 4 hours straight and say to whomever comes up "Key?, Song Name? Artist? Here we go."

Sometimes you have to be so desperate to play that you do not care anymore, but you know your instrument and your hands know how to make the notes and the tones, and YOU JUST GO FOR IT!  So what the drummer cannot keep the beat, leave him in the ditch and make the Front Man look good.

You cannot make everyone happy, and if you try you will make nobody happy.  So make yourself happy with what you play and your heart will come out in the notes that you play.  Thus, fear will knock you off the beat and it wins if you do not just get back up and on the mark, hold the line, and see it to the conclusion.  Fear may be present, but it does not have to be a negative influence, turn it into focus and motivation.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Last edited by Sliide90027 at May 31, 2017,
Quote by jay7801jf

People make music for lots of different reasons, mostly because they love it. I think you're just fishing for compliments (eg. does this dress make me look fat?, do you think I'm pretty?)

If you like making music the stfu and play, if you want some honest feedback (like you asked for) then accept it graciously and don't get butthurt that others are better than you. That's OK stop comparing yourself and just do your best.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by jay7801jf
what about this blues right here

This song is a much better example.

However I would still like to see your fingers while you play. Get a shot of the whole guitar while you play and your video will be much more presentable.

jay7801jf

You seem eager to learn and to enjoy yourself. You also seem anxious and pretentious about other people and their supposed opinions.
Focus on your positive aspects, and don't worry so much. If you start to feel that anxiety building up, start breathing deeply instead.

I think your only problem is you need to slow down and smell the roses. Post more vids I'd love to see them!

Panasonic3thanks and my other issue is I'm trying to play too many fills and add other notes when I needed to relax and play(serve the song) the way that makes me and the other band members happy
Panasonic 3 - your point is clearly correct and such an important statement that Master Frank Zappa had an Album called 'Shut Up and Play Your Guitar', followed up by 'the Return of Shut Up and Play Your Guitar', followed up by 'the Son of the Return of Shut Up and Play Your Guitar', and then 'the Son of the Son of the Return of Shut Up and Play Your Guitar'.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Jay, I have already addressed that.

You cannot take the people's power to form personal opinions.

A Couple of years ago a guy in Corpus when I was there told me after meeting me and knowing me a few months that he saw my original Craigslist Ad and he was sure that it was a fake ad, because my song list over the prior 2 year was simply unbelievable.

I had the Music Director at Dollywood drool over my tone and ask "where have you been?!" while the same year had a guitarist fire me for allegedly being too loud.

I had a Childhood friend and Pall Bearer of Cliff Burton tell me years ago when I had no amp, that I needed to get one and play for people again.

I got no respect from the last band I was in, but had a woman come up to me at a dive in Victoria TX tell me that she and her fiance regularly attend Austin CIty Limits and I am the best bassist she has ever seen.

This is life.  Take the good with the bad.  People are like the weather day to day; varied and temporary.   Do not allow any one person to convince you to quit, 
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Sliide90027thanks, but now I have another question, How do I prevent myself from playing the wrong notes and confusing my fingers since this happens from time to time
Practice Jay. Practice.

It is called Muscle Memory/Skill.  It is an over-ride to thought and cognitive function directing the work of the hands.

It is why people practice.

As for mistakes... This is where the societies issue grades.  A List, B List, C List, and AAA List performers in relationship to their ability to deliver consistency of their performances.  The people on these lists have two things in common, 1.  Their Playing of an Instrument and 2.  They are Human Beings who fall somewhere on a graph of margin of error,  Solution. Again, Practice,

I gave you the formula for recovery.  There is no formula for being Human.

Meanwhile, find a source for the scales and arpeggios states above and program your hands and ears to the tonality of the scales.  When you ear train to determine the Tonic/Root of a Song you will know the General Key and begin taking a shot at the song in Major, then Minor or just Pentatonic and there you will figure out where you are wrong, make the adjustment to the Exact Key and muscle memory will take over.

Back on 2009 an acquaintance of mine invited me to Thanksgiving Dinner with his very musical family.  While we waited for them to get there, he turned on the computer and started to run songs by me that his Country Band performs. He gave me an Acoustic Bass Guitar and I just started playing them with the recordings even though I did not know them.  He just hit me over and over for 2 hours just stunned.  When the boys arrived they started a Marshall Tucker song and I started playing the flute solo at the beginning and they just glared at me and each other and later asked how did I do that?   Once my brain identified the key I was not thinking.  I was hearing the flute and the Melody and it just came out.  All Muscle Memory Jay.

Practice. You are programming your brain and body.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Quote by jay7801jf
dspellmanbut I'm obviously trying to get recognized and to do collaborations But obviously I guess I do this have what it takes besides I have aspergers which cause a lot of my life and emotional struggles

I think half my friends at Google either have aspergers or are borderline. I've never considered that "fucked up."  Well, other than that they've chosen to be friends of mine and that they order the same breakfast every day for six months in a row. 

Sliide90027 has the right idea here. The keys to advancing involve tons of practice and taking on ever more difficult material. I'd add "selective listening," though Slide touched on that as well. Listen to music and separate the orchestration into individual parts. Try to figure out what they're doing and why. You'll identify sly single-note melodies in chorded passages, etc. 

He's also correct in that you can't please everyone and you shouldn't try. Accepting rejection and simply moving on is part of success in so many aspects of life. In fact, there are books like "Go for No!" that focus on that. 
I think you are on your way. Keep at it, play as much as you can, work at it as much as you can, learn songs you like, do the band thing, have fun!
LunchTime thanks I'm actually in a jam band so that alone can be another way of improving and having fun and I make sure I learn songs I like
Don't give up on playing bass. I don't know if you could fill in for Robert Trujillo just yet, but your solid rhythm tells me that you are not a complete noob what comes to playing bass.  It's hard to say what you will need to learn, 'cause that is your decision to make. Maybe if you had a teacher, you could together figure out what you want to accomplish as a bass player. He/she could then lead you to the right direction what comes to practicing the right things. 
jay7801jf

Learning to Read Music, TAB, and Nashville Numbers are required skills for a career.

If you go to a more traditional church, see if the Pastor has a worn Hymnal that you can keep and learn to read from this book.  Do not try to learn the songs per se, just use it as an exercise book that takes you out of mundane comfort zones to learn to read like you can read what I am typing here.  That you learn the means to express the printed language on the neck of the Instrument.  This exercise is about notation and rhythm to the hands.

This site provides loads of TAB to do the same thing.  Some you will use to learn songs to play, but all of them can be used as a source to just read and play what you read and move to the next page.  This is very utilitarian in comparison to Musical Language and Nashville Numbers.  While I do not prefer it, I use it to prove my personal charting, notes, and dissection language and efforts that look much like Nashville Numbers.

Nashville Numbers and Fake Book, just another language that is more naked in revealing the theory of composition, and can support Jam improvisation technique.  It is more given to showing Major and Minor Structure, the Tonal Structure of the song, and a proper use of notation that relates to the others in the song can lead to the use of a Key Notation at the top and then chord representations of I, ii , II, iii, III, IV, v, V, vi, VI, vii, VII and I(8) that I use so that my notes are always useful no matter what key is called save if a Minor Tune is called then to be Major, then I have to shift gears in my head III, VI, and VII shift down one half step in Minor, I, IV, V, and I(8) never move.  This is where knowing your modes is very useful, and at the least knowing the Major 4 Fret spread begins I on Middle finger, and Minor 4Fret Spread begins I on the Index Finger, once that is in muscle memory there is no hunting or pecking.

Any familiarity you can have with these languages will be a benefit, even if you do not master any of them.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Last edited by Sliide90027 at May 31, 2017,