what gear do you currently have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This is one of the most asked questions there is, Problem is there's no real answer to it as there's plenty of gear that will get that sound, Plus you could have the exact same gear as them yet not get that exact sound,  It goes a bit deeper than that,  In this case it sounds like a bit of nice toasty overdriven tube amps, So what's your budget?  If not much then you need to settle for a decent little SS modeling amp,  Sure you'll get the distortion/overdrive (there's a button for that)  but it wont sound exactly the same,  You need to remember these guys aint using cheap gear,  They're professionals using professional gear, and professional gear aint cheap,  Think of it this way, If everyone could pull it off using a $200 dollar amp why would we need $5,000 dollar amps?  But don't worry, Give it a few years and we'll just download an app directly to our brains and skip all the practice and years of dialing in that sound we're looking for, Brain surgeon, Rocket scientist? sure there's an app for that,  But in the meantime its hard work, trial and error and lots of money.  
Well, one starting point is in the second video: @7 seconds in, there is a brief panning shot of a pedalboard with a MXR Analog Chorus, a Zvex Box of Rock distortion, an EHX Nano Looper 360, and a J. Rockett Archer OD/Boost. The chromatic tuner, while a good idea, won't contribute to the tone. I don't recognize the tiny pedal with a gun.*

Also, looking at the bands' guitarists gear on sites like Equipboard will give you more clues.

* it may be a Raygun FX Tap Tempo square, but all the ones I've seen were black.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The third band, Daylight, now called Superheaven, use that typical post-grunge tone. That means I think you want a very warm tone as opposed to a bright one. Mellow, analog sounding, bassy but not booming. Basement have a similar tone, although less distorted, and closer to the bright, non-bassy side. Here are some links with info on the difference between a warm tone (which you want) vs bright: http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?182537-Warm-tone-Vs-Bright-tone   http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Gear-101-How-to-Warm-up-Guitar-Tone.aspx   https://www.learningguitarnow.com/blog/tone/what-does-a-warm-tone-even-mean/  
What I also think you're looking for is that nice trebley and high-mid but not ear-piercing clarity and sound resolution in the high-pitched strings when strummed at high gain, which is also neccesary for that Superheaven sound. For that from what I've gathered pickups are the one upgrade that is like 75% responsible for that attribute. If you already have a half-decent guitar I would focus on getting some mid-price range pickups made for high gain, modern metal (not death/black like the Nazgul pickups) and advertised for string/note clarity (of course reviews are what should help you make your choice in the end). You can then play around with the EQ and analog-style compressors to achieve that high-mid sound.
Last edited by Pkmm at Apr 23, 2017,
Quote by carbiscoffee
Dave_Mc not much due to lack of funds currently being a student, just an orange 20watt combo and boss DS1

ah ok. I'd have said (just as a rough snapshot of all those tones... and i only listened to the first 20 seconds of each ) maybe a guitar with single coils, a tube amp and a fuzz. but that's going to be overkill if you're on a limited budget. there are a lot of cheap clones of the fulltone OCD from the likes of Joyo etc.- that might be worth considering. or maybe a cheap clone of a rat (again, a lot exist, mooer does one that's pretty good but you can probably get even cheaper).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?