im a complete noob sorry in advance, I have been playing guitar for a few months or so now and want a new guitar, or amp if you can convince me! I have been using a Peavey Vip2 And a Fender Standard HSH Strat  for my setup so far i also have a roland mk2 duo capture which is an interface thingo for PC but ive had trouble with it lately so ive kind of given up on using that. I understand im not going to get the exact tone i want from my budget but i just want a step in the right direction, Buy a guitar now, amp\pedals etc later or viceversa, The best i can explain the sound im looking for is with a video  

here is someone i follow on youtube, he does alot of metal versions of video game \movie\tv series covers which i also enjoy doing.

Other info-

No Used Guitars\Amps Etc
I Cannot try anything locally unfortunately
I only purchase stuff from andertons.co.uk
Not sure if relevant at all but im from australia.

All this said all advice is greatly appreciated as i am here to learn.

-------------
Budget is $830 USD (give or take a few bucks)
https://www.andertons.co.uk

conversion
640 UK
1100 AUD

-------------
Last edited by hellomyfrend at Apr 23, 2017,
For a noob what you have now is actually quite respectable,  Had it been a Squire and included Frontman amp then then yes I could see a problem and need for upgrade,  At this point I'd say your doing  just fine,   Although do find it a bit funny you've already developed a case of GAS before you've even really learned to play,   But don't get me wrong, I'd never talk someone out of buying new gear,  I just think in your case its not necessary,  Your amp is capable of many different sounds and the HSH Strat is one of the more versatile guitars out there,  In other words you have good tools, now its just a matter of learning to use them,  Once you master them then you can fine tune and buy more professional grade tools geared more to your individual craftwork,  
Yeah i know i dont really "need" anything but im happy to spend some money as its something i have really enjoyed so far 
Honestly, if you're going for metal leads, nice though the Strat is, it's not necessarily the ideal instrument for that, and you could totally get something better suited to it on that budget. That said, it would be a lot easier to do that without the limitations to new stuff and Andertons; do you not have any room for compromise on those points?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Australian prices are a rip off. so im kind of limited with stores that i can buy from, alot of american stores cost around $200 for shipping where as andertons is around $100, even after the shipping cost it works out way cheaper than buying anything locally or within australia. as for second hand stuff, i might compromise on an amp, but ive never really been one for second hand stuff. i like buying my stuff new, im aware i can get way better value for money if i go used, but id prefer to pay the price for a new guitar. does anyone know much about these https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/RG970WFMZ-TFD/solid-body-electric-guitars/ibanez-premium-rg970wfmz-debut-in-transparent-faded-denim
Be careful, I have seen people fall into this trap before, you can't substitute lack of ability with new gear. You could have the exact gear as the guy in the video but you won't sound like him or play like him if you don't have the skill. New gear is fun and can give you new inspiration and passion, which can lead to skill improvements, but on its own it doesn't make you a better player.

As others have said you could replace your guitar but really there is no need at this point, a strat with a humbucker in the bridge will take you pretty far. You should be able to get pretty close to his tone with some high gain, and delay - the rest is up to your fingers.
Dont worry im very aware i have a long way to go in terms of skill! I know a guitar isnt going to help me play better, I just love spending money. Any guitar i buy is likely going to be kept forever so its never really going to be a waste. And as you said, new gear will get me picking it up even more, thats reason enough for me
I'm going to agree that with the rig you have now you should be good to go for a while considering how long you have been playing, but if that money is burning a hole in your pocket you should look into maybe getting a decent tube amp, maybe even save a bit more if you can't find one you like in your budget.

If you need help with that start a new thread for just amps list the styles you are going to be playing, your absolute max budget and of course that you prefer new and will be buying from Anderton's, althought the fact that you would at least consider buying a used amp may be able to get you something really nice.

Your guitar is more than sufficient if you are dead set on buying something then upgrade your amp having better sound will make you pick the guitar up more than anything.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 25, 2017,
As to compromising on a used amp.  Personally that's what I look for, or at least use to,  Although generally the older US made Peaveys and Kustoms, and a few of the old British made Marshalls,  
 Today if your not going to unass your wallet your gonna get Made in China,  Buying used can get you some really nice US and British made amps at Made in China prices if you know what your looking for and at,  And yes all those name brands you see today are Made in China in most cases, 
 Although this mindset has caught on within the last few years and musicians are starting to buy the older stuff which of course drives the prices up,  Up side to this is you wont loose any money on resale if the trend continues,  Provided you were to ever sell it 
 With a new Chinese made amp you can loose up to 1/2 of its value on the resale the second you walk out of the store with it,  Plus the old amps are easy and cheap to fix, Whereas many a good amp tech wont even touch the Chinese PCB stuff simply because it costs more to fix than its worth,  So you better hope it doesn't break down after the warranty expires,  Which I'm afraid isn't all that uncommon,   Today its like Oh no my new 6505 is broke what do I do, Send it back under warranty, Back then, Oh no my old Peavey fell off the back of the truck going 70 what do?   Throw it back on the truck and don't worry about the scuff marks, it will be fine, In fact I think it gives it character,  Still sounds like a Peavey though,  Sorry about that , Old joke, You'd have had to have been there
Last edited by nastytroll at Apr 25, 2017,
nastytroll Agreed I have a Mesa Roadster 2X12 combo and a Peavey 6505+ head both USA made, I got great deals on bothe new the Peavey was scratch and dent from Amaerican Musical supply for $899 and the Mesa was $1100 on closeout at Guitarded Center after they lost their license to sell new Mesa gear, but I'd go for a used amp that is made in USA before I'd buy something new from China.

My 4X12 is loaded with Eminence Patriot Series speakers made in Eminence Kentucky USA for over 50 years!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 26, 2017,
hellomyfrend well if you are playing most metal songs, then an ibanez or like a shecter is ideal for you. but pedals also help with metal, i would prefer metal pedal, and a sound muffler pedal.
I think your guitar is fine (really I think your whole rig is fine, but if you really want to spend money I wouldn't worry about the guitar). As long as it plays well that's going to be a very versatile instrument. That leaves your amp. Buying new limits your options, but especially as a newbie I can totally understand. One of these might be good for you as long as you aren't going to be playing with a really loud band. Then just pick up a used 1x12 cabinet for it.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/PV6505MH/guitar-amp-heads/peavey-6505-mh-mini

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/2256016000/guitar-amp-heads/evh-5150-iii-lunchbox-ii-guitar-amp-head

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/2256006000/guitar-amp-heads/evh-5150-iii-15w-lunchbox-amplifier-head

Note: I don't actually know what the difference is between the MKI and MKII versions of the EVH amp, but there is a price difference so do some more reading and figure out which one sounds better for you.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
hellomyfrend I don't actually have much experience with the Valvekings. What little experience I've had with them hasn't left a huge impact on me - they weren't bad enough to make me think they really sucked, but they also weren't good enough to make me fall in love. For the money and features, though, they are a pretty good deal. And I know a lot of people do like them, so maybe it's just me.
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

hellomyfrend Yeah, plus I know the 5150 iii should be able to get you to the ballpark of the sound in the video you posted. I'm not sure about the Valveking (at least, without an OD pedal). Hopefully someone else will chime in with some more recommendations, though.
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

Any advice about anything guitar related is appreciated, barden1069 is there any cab in particular i should be looking for or anything you would recommend ?
For your budget, I'm not too sure about a cab... All the usual suspects like Orange, Mesa, or one of Marshall's nicer cabs are probably out of your price range, even used. And since you're only buying from Anderton's, that means no Avatar, either These are the only ones I could find out there that are roughly in your price range, and I don't know enough about their specific speakers or build quality to really recommend one over the others. The only exception is the Ibanez cab, which has a Celestion 70/80 and I would consider that a very average speaker, very neutral and without much of a unique character in my experience.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/HTV112/speaker-cabinets/blackstar-htv112-1x12-cab

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/HT112/speaker-cabinets/blackstar-ht112-1x12-guitar-cab

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/PV112EXC/speaker-cabinets/peavey-1x12-guitar-cab-with-blue-marvel-speaker

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/TSA112C/speaker-cabinets/ibanez-tsa112c-tube-screamer-1x12-cabinet

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/990301701/speaker-cabinets/line-6-dt25-1x12-extension-cabinet

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/IRT112/speaker-cabinets/laney-ironheart-irt-112-1x12-cab

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/METAL112/speaker-cabinets/blackstar-metal-112-1x12-speaker-cabinet
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

Buying used is really the best way to go in this situation. You can sometimes get a used Peavey 6505 head, or an EVH 5153 50 watt head, and Orange/Mesa 212 cabinets for the price of some of the gear you're considering new.

That being said, as far as the really small lunchbox-sized amps go, I think the EVH LBXII is one of the best-sounding on the market. It sounds super sweet. But both LBX heads are pretty lacking in their number of features.

The reason there are two versions of the LBX is that a constant complaint with the original LBX is that it lacks so much in versatility that it doesn't even have a clean channel. All it has is a crunch and a lead channel. And even then, the crunch channel by itself already has a lot of gain. The LBXII gets rid of the super high gain lead channel and gives you an actual clean channel instead. It isn't amazingly clean, but it's certainly good enough for taking pedals. And it's definitely a more versatile than the original LBX. Something else that's a benefit with the LBXII are separate master volume and gain controls for both channels, which the original LBX doesn't have.

The two amps do sound distinctly different in their voicings. But one certainly doesn't sound worse than the other, just a bit different.

I personally think you should avoid the Peavey 6505MH IMO. It has a ton more features than the EVH amps, but it doesn't sound as good as the EVH amps IMO, nor does it sound as good as the big boy 6505 heads. It's also not a true tube amp, it's a hybrid that uses some tube stages and some solid state gain stages, along with a solid state phase inverter. On the other hand, the EVH's and the big boy 6505 120 watt heads (and the 60 1x12 watt combo for that matter) are all-tube.

I would avoid all the cabinets barden1069 has suggested too. The speakers in all of them are garbage.

Get one of these instead and thank me later.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm?glp=1&gclid=CIjl4eWp2tMCFcSVGwodZS4IBw

Costs the same money as some of the aforementioned 1x12 cabinets, but this one is a 2x12, so you get superior bass response and way less boxiness in the guitar tone that you want to avoid if you're into metal. And the speakers in these cabinets are Celestion Vintage 30's, which are industry standard for high gain metal tones, and are way above any of the generic crap you'll find in those other 1x12 cabs listed above. It is impossible to get a better quality cabinet for less than with Thomann's Harley Benton stuff. So much so that if you actually price out 2 Vintage 30 speakers from Celestion, it'll actually cost you the same amount than if you just bought the HB 2X12 from Thomann with the speakers already loaded in it. You're literally getting the cabinet those speakers come in for free. And the cabinet isn't some MDF shit either, it's halfway decent plywood all round. The same probably cannot be said for some of the aforementioned 112's.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
T00DEEPBLUE I'm glad you have some better suggestions, those were the only ones I could find in his budget on Andertons so I was assuming he'd just have to compromise on the cab for now.
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

Quote by barden1069
T00DEEPBLUE I'm glad you have some better suggestions, those were the only ones I could find in his budget on Andertons so I was assuming he'd just have to compromise on the cab for now.

That's fair enough.

When it comes to cabinets, the Harley Benton ones that Thomann sell offer by far the most bang for the buck on the market. No other brand comes anywhere close to being as cheap yet still offering the same specs. Harley Benton is Thomann's own brand of music gear, which means there is no middle man that Thomann has to pay to get their gear to retail stores. Because in this instance, the retailer and the company that owns the brand are the exact same entity.

This strategy also explains how companies like Rondomusic and Carvin can sell their products so cheaply. The savings made by not having a middle man are passed onto the customer.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend