so im designing a new guitar for myself, i used to work as a luthier so i will be able to do this entirely from scratch.. im going with a hardtail bridge and as it stands now a modified telecaster body.. modified in that its a symmetrical double-cutaway with thinned horns for better fingerboard access near the body and i may even route out the top half of the body to make a slim-lime semi-hollow body electric and though the 3D model im sketching out in autodesk inventory is currently set up for a standard fender neck pocket the end result may end up being neck-thru or a set neck

im also considering a baritone scale tuned a step down or possibly even a 5-string or 5-course 10 string cittern-mandocello.. but that route would require me to wind my own pickups for it which i can do

i could post renderings of it as i work on the design if anyones interested

anyway, any thoughts?
here is a rendering of the double-cutaway telecaster body, ive also designed a pickguard (thats a work in progress) and a typical telecaster two knob control plate.. i may adjust this control plate and eliminate the selector switch for a couple more knobs for 2 volume, 2 tone and just use push/pull to turn off the individual pickups, i havent decided exactly how i will wire it.. but heres what i have so far.. also, im aware the pickups are upside down.. i just threw them in for the render

Last edited by jason41987 at Apr 24, 2017,
anyone use those piezo saddle pickups called graphtech ghost? i really like the sound they produce for clean tones
Will it have guitar modelling (+string tune) antares powered or variax system? That way the front part will be hollow to accommodate the circuit board..
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Just a thought about the guitar modeling.. but since you are building a guitar, are you going to employ coil-split, parallel, series, out of phase with the humbuckers..
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
i havent gotten that far yet, still working out the body and the scale/tuning, if i go with a normal six string i may just buy and use existing humbuckers, probably blackouts but if i go with anything out of the ordinary, say a 5 or 10 string cittern scale/tuning, then its certainly going to require a custom made humbucker but theres only about a 25% chance i will do that
im looking to get a bit deeper tones than youd get with a regular guitar, but i do not want to drop tone, id rather be able to keep the instrument tuned the same and still be able to play regular music.. the cittern scale would take some new learning, but in the end itd give me more range, a lower bass string as well.. but its doable and would achieve this goal.. but so would a lower tuned baritone guitar that after the first or second fret plays like a standard 25.5" six string, and lastly, adding a seventh string on the bass end tuned to a low B would get the job done as well

of these three options, which route would you take and why?
well i decided to model this a baritone, heres the neck, fingerboard.. since this render was taken ive slotted the fingerboard, added frets as well to it, 27" scale from the bridge to the nut.. not rendered yet but since adding the frets to the fingerboard i found i had to move my neck pickup back about a half an inch to get the 24th fret on there