Page 1 of 2
When i watch youtube vids of some of my favorite bands playing live i always catch the guitar players' hands off of their guitar eventhough the music is still playing. Are they playing along to a backing track so they dont have to rely solely off of their own playing? I never played live so i dont how playing live actually works
Please post a link to an example youtube video where you suspect this.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
There's generally two different type of live acts :

1) bands without a click track, samples  or  pre-recorded music ( i.re a normal live band); and:

2) bands that use click tracks, samples, and pre-recorded passages - i.e. hybrid acts.  

Some bands require the recorded samples to fully get their sound.  This is happening more and more as people use electronic music elements on their recordings but don't have enough band members to pull off all of those elements live, so they play to a click track and the samples get played through the PA from a computer.   

Pop acts have pre-recorded backing vocals and even the main vocal  running through the whole gig sometimes, even though a live band is playing - that's why so many get caught lip syncing.  The actual band ( rhythm section) still plays live, but they're playing along with other  pre-recorded elements. You have to be an amazing musician to even get a gig a of that caliber, so the musicians are top notch, but they are locked into a click and have very defined roles.

I've never heard of a guitarist faking playing though - so you are definitely confused on that point... 
Probably either the video desyncing from the audio or else whoever edited the video together is a dolt and put footage in the wrong section.
There is the possibility that guitars have been ​overdubbed
Well if it's an actual music video then it's just the album recording set to a video. If it's a live performance then there's no reason to have a track duplicate anything other than the vocals, and in that case the video is probably not of the performance the audio was taken from.
Quote by reverb66
I've never heard of a guitarist faking playing though - so you are definitely confused on that point... 

the Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Super Bowl
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777

I don't think anybody plays for real at the Super Bowl. Though I think Lady Gaga did actually play keyboard for like 30 seconds, and I could tell her vocals were live because she almost dropped a beat during a transition.
Quote by cdgraves
I don't think anybody plays for real at the Super Bowl.

well duh
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Well how do you expect a band to play live when half of the members are dead and the other half are deaf?
Quote by reverb66

I'm pretty sure Mark Knopfler is playing all the notes in this video...
It depends on what type of music it is I know that when I go to concerts they are playing their instruments I usually see guitar oriented bands (rock and metal) or bands like the Cherry Poppin' Daddies that have a brass section where faking it is hard to do.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

There are instances where a band doesn't actually play their instruments for a 'live' performance.  

example:

Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
ThunderPunk Yup TV apearences have been synced for decades. Some are so bad the instruments are not even plugged in. I used to like Burt Sugarman's The Midnight Special show back in the 1970's everyone played live on that show.

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
ThunderPunk Yup TV apearences have been synced for decades. Some are so bad the instruments are not even plugged in.

I like the Iron Maiden TV show appearance where they're totally taking the piss and swapping instruments.

Now to find that vid of Nikki Sixx playing bass with hands nowhere near the instrument ...
Quote by reverb66

Except for music videos, where that's the norm.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
Quote by gogiregion
Except for music videos, where that's the norm.
tbf, in the title of the thread, it says "live", and unless it's a live music video, it'd be the studio recording, which is not in the scope of this discussion
As already pointed out, some bands lack enough players to replicate their album sound so they use backing tracks and play over them.

Then, there's Misfits where on their reunion tour Doyle couldn't play sh*t as he was too busy spanking his guitar so they had another guitarist lurking in the shadows playing along and filling half the notes he missed.

And well, finally, there are some bands that for some reason fake their playing. Here in Portugal there are some TV shows that pass during the morning and afternoon (mostly intended for elders) where everyday some musicians go and due to the show nature, everyone always fakes their play - so in some cases it might not be laziness or lack of talent, but rather a particular case.

Quote by cdgraves
I don't think anybody plays for real at the Super Bowl. Though I think Lady Gaga did actually play keyboard for like 30 seconds, and I could tell her vocals were live because she almost dropped a beat during a transition.

Years ago Lady Gaga said she'd never lipsync because she thought the point of a live performance would be lost then. As far as I can see she's coherent with that over all these years (I'm not exactly fan of her so she might have done that as I haven't watched every single performance of her, although I haven't seen she doing that so far).
'07 Jackson Pro Dinky DK2M (MIJ)
Squier Strat SE
Marshall Valvestate VS15R practice amp
NSpen1 Never saw that one before it gave me a good chuckle, a bit of a jab toward the practice of syncing a "live" performance I suppose.

Here is another example of a band actually performing a song live on a T.V. show: Slayer performing Cult on the henry Rollins Show

I have seen Slayer live 13 times IIRC and they absolutely nail the performance everytime.

R.I.P. Jeff Hanneman!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by NeoMvsEu
tbf, in the title of the thread, it says "live", and unless it's a live music video, it'd be the studio recording, which is not in the scope of this discussion

I know. I just wanted to mention that to the people who say that they've never seen a band fake play guitar. I guess maybe you wouldn't have to specify that you mean live in context, like in this. I guess I didn't make myself clear, sorry.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
Live TV performances are often done with tracks. There's a great video of Van Morrison lip syncing one of his hits for some variety show in the 60s and he totally misses the cue for his harmonica solo, pulls the harp out like two bars after the recorded solo starts.

Quote by theogonia777
Well how do you expect a band to play live when half of the members are dead and the other half are deaf?

... exactly like they did!
I know on like Top of the Pops and MTV they made bands use backing tracks and just use a live vocal track. So in those instances it really isn't up to the band.

Other times bands may use backing tracks for extra parts that were present on the album but impossible to do live (orchestral parts, extra guitar layers, backing vocals).

The only time I really consider it to be a bad practice is if it is to excuse or cover up a bad performance.
It's important to make the distinction between "playing live" and "appearing on tv". For tv appearances mining to a backing track is the norm, for several reasons. The main one is time, if a band is appearing on a tv show they're probably not going to be there long enough to have a proper sound check.

The other is control, tv producers have a ton of things to worry about, so introducing a live band mix into the equation is often one headache too many. Having a backing track is simply easier to work with.

As far as YouTube videos of live performances go most of the time that's just going to be de-sync issues between the audio and video tracks.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Evilnine
NSpen1 Never saw that one before it gave me a good chuckle, a bit of a jab toward the practice of syncing a "live" performance I suppose.

Here is another example of a band actually performing a song live on a T.V. show: Slayer performing Cult on the henry Rollins Show

I have seen Slayer live 13 times IIRC and they absolutely nail the performance everytime.

R.I.P. Jeff Hanneman!

Yes, that was exactly it, it was a protest against being asked to use playback.

Slaaaayyyeeeeeerrrrr!!
Quote by João1993

Band getting pissed about forced bad syncing: $100

Band sabotaging their own performance: $375

Band demolishing the T.V. set in protest: $1000

Keyboard player refusing to admit he was syncing: Priceless
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 27, 2017,
Quote by Evilnine
Band getting pissed about forced bad syncing: $100

Band sabotaging their own performance: $375

Band demolishing the T.V. set in protest: $1000

Keyboard player refusing to admit he was syncing: Priceless

what an amazing drummer as well playing while turning away from the drums
Quote by ThunderPunk
There are instances where a band doesn't actually play their instruments for a 'live' performance.  

example:

It was standard practice for years on TOTP (and many oher BBC entertainment programmes) for bands to mime their instruments, although vocals would usually be live.  There also used to be a rule - I don't know if it still applies - that a record would have tp be re-recorded for the programme, and then they'd mime to the new recording!  (This was something to do with musician union rules, and broadcast needle time.)
But this doesn't really count as a fake live performance, IMO.  Everybody knew about the practice, there was often no attempt to mime convincingly, guitars were obviously not plugged in - and there would often be fewer instruments (or singers) on stage than you could hear anyway.  It was just showbiz, TV entertainment; the presentation of a new hit record.   Just once in a while, a band would be permitted to perform totally live - and it often sucked accordingly, although the rough edges added to the sense of immediacy.
I used to work for the BBC (back in the 1970s), and I remember it being said that TV pop stars were more often members of Equity (the actors' union) than the Musicians' Union.  
(The Darkness were a band with a good sense of humour, btw.)
Last edited by jonriley64 at Apr 27, 2017,
Quote by João1993
what an amazing drummer as well playing while turning away from the drums

IKR the keyboard player was cracking me up by holding fast, once he saw the rest of the band jerking off he should have turned around an played the keys with his ass!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by theogonia777

no one plays live at the super bowl, too many possible things to go wrong during a broadcast, it's a known fact.
and I've seen them live 3 times, they really play. 
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by J23L
When i watch youtube vids of some of my favorite bands playing live i always catch the guitar players' hands off of their guitar eventhough the music is still playing. Are they playing along to a backing track so they dont have to rely solely off of their own playing? I never played live so i dont how playing live actually works

Is this a real question? So you're saying every band you watch... this happens? What?
Page 1 of 2