Getting to the point now I can do pinch harmonics on demand, but it seems like I cant keep the note going quite as long as I should. Especially with bends and vibratos and what-not.

Is this a technique issue, or a gear issue? I don't have anything that gives me extra sustain like a pedal. So I figure before I spend money on gear I'll ask you fine gentlemen
what gear are you using? if your vibrato is good (i.e. if your technique is good) it could well be a gear issue.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What happens if you just use a touched harmonic (e.g. at 12th fret on B string), and dive bar it?  Sustain there?
Or ordinary fretted note, picked ... sustain there?
If so, then you may need to dig in more for the pinch, and pick hard.  Make sure the pick is not bendy.  You on bridge pickup?
Probably a technique issue - are you properly muting/dampening the string above and below the one you are playing?  That will make or break it. 
Last edited by reverb66 at Apr 27, 2017,
I use a  Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer. Gives me oodles of sustain, especially with a distortion pedal.  I usually have the attack and sustain at full and the volume anywhere between a quarter to 3 quarters.
I just use a schecter demon series with a cheap combo. It's a line 6 spider 15 watt.

With normal vibratos there isn't any issue with sustain and all that. It just seems to me some songs will have that beautiful squeal that goes on for 5 or 6 seconds, while mine start really dying around 3 seconds. ( I can't think of a good example because my mind is fried)

I don't have a whammy bar, so I'm not honestly sure how to even dive bar without it lol. Regular harmonics seem to sustain plenty so I'm assuming it's technique somewhere.

I've been using medium picks, I'll grab something more stiffand give it a shot. I've been practicing the harmonics just under the neck pickup since it's the only spot I've found to make it work so far.

There's little to no string noise from the surrounding strings even with distortion.

I'll have to check out that pedal!

WAIT A MINUTE FOLKS, I THINK I'M RETARDED AND REALIZED MY ISSUE WHILE THINKING OF PICKUPS. So I normally have my pickup selector set on using the bridge pickup.. but been practicing the harmonics on the neck pickup.. oh my God I wonder if that's it. If that's the issue I'm gonna feel so stupid

I can't give this a try until tomorrow but do you guys think this is the issue?? Thanks so much everyone! It's very much appreciated <3
There are three things you can do:
1) Get better RH chops
2) use the appropriate pickup position and type
3) use a compressor

Unless you're actually having trouble holding the note down with your left hand, the sustain is mostly a characteristic of the guitar itself. Getting the harmonic accurately and delicately improves the both the sustain and tone of the note, of course, but certain guitars are just not going to have as much sustain all around. Check and make sure you're using the pickup that actually responds to the harmonics you're using. Bridge humbuckers tend to get the most. A compressor also brings up the quiet harmonics very effectively, so they're easier to get and sustain longer.
yeah bridge pickup should help.

as i said, if you tell us what gear you have we can make an educated guess what the problem is. you shouldn't need to use a compressor if the rest of your gear is suitable for the tones you want.

could you give us some examples of good harmonics in recorded songs you'd like to sound like?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
as i said, if you tell us what gear you have we can make an educated guess what the problem is. you shouldn't need to use a compressor if the rest of your gear is suitable for the tones you want. 

He did say what gear he uses; a line 6 Spider 15 watt.

Now I have no experience with these amps, but I do know that in order for pinch harmonics to come out nicely, you're going to need quite a bit of gain. Also, I've found that stiffer picks help enormously as well.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
^ Oof that's what I get for reading the thread quickly Sorry.

Yeah. I mean, it might well be a gear thing... cheaper solid states/modellers usually don't sustain nicely like a tube amp does, but at the same time you should be able to get something passable with good technique and a fair bit of gain and mids, especially if you use the bridge pickup.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Don't forget that you get different harmonics in different places relative to the note being plucked, and some of those harmonics are just not as loud as others. If your hand is anchored on the bridge, you're probably going to have a hard time getting decent volume because the harmonics that close to the bridge/nut are much weaker (at least in the audible spectrum). Further up the string near the middle/bridge pickups you're a lot more likely to hit the 1st and 2nd octaves and 5ths, which are a whole lot louder than other harmonics.

Harmonics do take some practice. Getting the pick angle right is just the start. You still have to practice hitting the harmonics with different fretted notes to get a feel for where you can produce a good squeal. The further up the fretboard you are, the closer the intervals are, which means that you have to be extra precise. "Hotel California", for example, has a really great pinch harmonic on a bend between two verses, and it's on such a high note that it's actually pretty tough to hit if you don't practice pinching the exact right spot.
Last edited by cdgraves at Apr 27, 2017,
Quote by RDSElite
He did say what gear he uses; a line 6 Spider 15 watt.

Now I have no experience with these amps, but I do know that in order for pinch harmonics to come out nicely, you're going to need quite a bit of gain. Also, I've found that stiffer picks help enormously as well.

I have one of those amps, I use it for playing Satch stuff. I don't even bother with a distortion pedal, I use the metal setting with lots of gain and combined with the CS-3, it squeals like a pig. You're right about stiff picks, I switched when I started learning this style.