Anybody have any tricks on how to deal with this? It's pretty annoying. It sounds like my heart beating in my left or the sound of blood throbbing in a vein.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Tinnitus is a ringing in the ear. You you described isn't the same thing. 
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
I occasionally get a very faint, dull ringing sound in my right ear for a few minutes. It doesn't happen every day, maybe once week. Maybe I should stop standing so close to the stage at concerts
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by MurrcuryFoxx
Tinnitus is a ringing in the ear. You you described isn't the same thing. 
There is low and high-pitched tinnitus fyi

NewDayHappy, would recommend freeing your ears from headphones/earbuds unless necessary, fewer loud noises if possible, ear protection when necessary. If you've just been to a loud concert, keep your ears away from more loud sounds at least for a while; it might trigger the tinnitus
Quote by NeoMvsEu

I know that.  I occasionally have tinnitus issues myself due to the ear wax issues it's annoying as fuck but in whole life I've never know of anyone that had tinnitus that had pounding in there ears in the way op described. I've seen people with other issues have pounding in there ears.  Maybe I'm wrong i'm no ear expert  and they just call all that tinnitus but I;m pretty sure they called that something other than tinnitus. 
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Quote by NeoMvsEu

NewDayHappy, would recommend freeing your ears from headphones/earbuds unless necessary, fewer loud noises if possible, ear protection when necessary. If you've just been to a loud concert, keep your ears away from more loud sounds at least for a while; it might trigger the tinnitus

I have been literally playing guitar about 4-5 times a day for the last 4 months, probably a total of 2 hours a day. Recently was prescribed a nasal spray because the doctor said I had water trapped behind my ears which was making a clicking sound or sub woofer (which was really annoying). Now, I can pretty much clear/pop ears for the most part, no clicking sound, once again, I can hear my heart beating or blood pulsing through my veins in my left ear, at least that's what it sounds like. I did some research via google and they say that this could very well be tinnitus. Maybe I should go back to the doctors. I'd really like to keep playing but I think I have some hearing damage at this point. Even the my amp's volume is cracked halfway and the volume pots on both my guitars at 3-4 volume. I'm running through a Marshall DSL5C in the 1 watt setting, so I'm trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I'd imagine many people play through much higher amps.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
MurrcuryFoxx

Handbook of Clinical Neurology ( http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780444626301000238 )
Tinnitus, the perception of sound in the absence of an external sound

>> It can be anything as long as the sound doesn't come from external sources

NewDayHappy, I've had it on and off, either like a throbbing heartbeat or a low-energy motor, and based on ^ it's definitely tinnitus (and apparently not just water, unfortunately :\). Mine started shortly after a plane ride to one of the loudest cities in the world (in terms of ambient noise) and it's not often I hear it now (in a quieter place now too), but it does happen from time to time and stopping headphone use helps

There are a lot of things that contribute to overall noise exposure
http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/
I've had tinnitus for a good 10 years now.  Mine is a loud ringing in both ears that never ever goes away, they are ringing 24/7 all year round.  It's loud enough that I can hear it no matter what noises are going on around me there is never any peace from it.  They will also often change pitch and I can have a different pitch in each ear at the same time.  Then I still get the normal ringing on top of it that everyone gets every once in awhile.  When that happens it's like someone turns up the volume in one ear and it's a different pitch.  

Then when that goes away in a few minutes then it's back to the regular loud annoying ringing.   Ringing that comes and goes once in a while is pretty normal, everyone I have ever known experiences it and it is not tinnitus.  It has always been rumored that it is either someone talking or thinking about you.  I'm pretty sure if you have tinnitus it never stops ringing.  People have actually committed suicide because they just can not stand it anymore.  I can see why.    

I also suffer from migraines for the past 30 years after getting hit by a car and that can cause throbbing in the ears where you hear your heart beating in your ears.  The strange thing with migraines is that you can have effects like that without any pain. Unfortunately mine comes with all the fantastic excruciating pain.    
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Apr 24, 2017,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Ringing that comes and goes once in a while is pretty normal, everyone I have ever known experiences it and it is not tinnitus.
Yes it is; it's just not chronic

Sorry about the struggles
Quote by Way Cool JR.
I've had tinnitus for a good 10 years now.  Mine is a loud ringing in both ears that never ever goes away, they are ringing 24/7 all year round.  It's loud enough that I can hear it no matter what noises are going on around me there is never any peace from it.  They will also often change pitch and I can have a different pitch in each ear at the same time.  Then I still get the normal ringing on top of it that everyone gets every once in awhile.  When that happens it's like someone turns up the volume in one ear and it's a different pitch.  

Then when that goes away in a few minutes then it's back to the regular loud annoying ringing.   Ringing that comes and goes once in a while is pretty normal, everyone I have ever known experiences it and it is not tinnitus.  It has always been rumored that it is either someone talking or thinking about you.  I'm pretty sure if you have tinnitus it never stops ringing.  People have actually committed suicide because they just can not stand it anymore.  I can see why.

I also suffer from migraines for the past 30 years after getting hit by a car and that can cause throbbing in the ears where you hear your heart beating in your ears.  The strange thing with migraines is that you can have effects like that without any pain. Unfortunately mine comes with all the fantastic excruciating pain.  

Bro, when my shit first started acting up, my tinnitus sounded like I was having a Goddamn heart attack. It's worth it though, all the beautiful music offsets the pain. I'm 30 years old, shit I remember as a kid I used to play on 40 watt amplifiers but now? Shit man, I own a 1 watt and 5 watt amp with a 1 watt setting. My recommendations to the novice/beginner guitarist here is to play at bedroom levels until you do a show or something where you really need to crank it.

Anyways, sorry about your struggles my friend. I hope mine doesn't get as bad as yours.
Quote by NewDayHappy
I'd really like to keep playing but I think I have some hearing damage at this point. Even the my amp's volume is cracked halfway and the volume pots on both my guitars at 3-4 volume. I'm running through a Marshall DSL5C in the 1 watt setting, so I'm trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I'd imagine many people play through much higher amps.
Numbers are, basically, bullshit. Sure, they mean things but they don't simply correspond to loudness. If you want to keep playing, and you think it might be giving you hearing damage, turn your amp the fuck down. Simple as.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Apr 24, 2017,
Thanks guys!     I also wasn't aware of other forms of tinnitus. I feel bad for anyone who has it.  Good luck to you all.

If only I could go back in time.  Take care of your ears or you will never be able to enjoy silence again.  The quieter it is, the more it annoys you. 
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Apr 24, 2017,
that can be a side effect of high blood pressure or thyroid problems.   you said it sounded like a heart attack early on 
how many movements do you have going on, psychotic ?
Way Cool JR.I have it too, same as you, sometimes it gets more intense for a few minutes in one or both ears for no appearent reason. For me as long as there is other sounds it is for the most part relegated to just background noise low enough I can often forget about it but when it is quiet it seems very loud it doesn't make it diffucult to sleep but it can be annoying AF.

Too damn much loud music when I was young either from my headphones, house stereo, car stereo, guitar/band, and concerts. I used headphones only occasionally I can only image what the long term effects of constantly using modern ear buds will be.

I have noise reducing ear filters now that reduce decibels without much alteration to the sound I wear them to concerts and TBH it sounds much better
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 25, 2017,
Quote by NewDayHappy
Anybody have any tricks on how to deal with this? It's pretty annoying. It sounds like my heart beating in my left or the sound of blood throbbing in a vein.

Sounds like high blood pressure or a clogged ear, go see an ear guy.
Tinnitus sounds like an old timey TV being turned on, or high pitched noise basically.
I have a pretty bad case from my "rocker" days.
Yeah, that doesn't sound like Tinnitus to me.  I too have the ringing constantly and sometimes it get loud "chirps" like there is a bird on my shoulder chirping in my ear.  Unfortunately I got mine from too much 5.56 live fire and no hear protection, and not from loud music.
Way Cool JR.
Yeah I have the same thing, sometimes it gets louder momentarily and then dies away to it's normal level, it is always there.
When I was younger I played guitar very loud, and I used headphones.
Quote by Xander_X
Yeah, that doesn't sound like Tinnitus to me.  I too have the ringing constantly and sometimes it get loud "chirps" like there is a bird on my shoulder chirping in my ear.  Unfortunately I got mine from too much 5.56 live fire and no hear protection, and not from loud music.

Were you in active combat? I always wondered how soldiers deal with the gun fire as ear protection would reduce situational awareness.

I never got to the range without the bare minimum little marshmellows or my headset, I can do 500 rounds easy at the range, you would be deaf after that without protection.
Most are issued a VERY basic ear plug that is recommended be used.  99% of soldier do not use them for many reasons.  Situational awareness, forgot to bring them, PITA to put them in, and take them out.  I mean seriously, who's going to take the time to put them in when the SHTF?  Luckily, at one point I was issued some active ear protection.  Basically ear muffs with circuits that allow you to hear, actually better than you normally would, and then closes up when a certain DB is hit.  But again, they're uncomfortable, get in the way of getting a good cheek-weld, and get dirty/sweaty.  So they didn't get used as much as they should have either.  

A lot of operators use active in ear systems that they purchase themselves. They're like mine, but more like a hearing aid size and A LOT more expensive.
Quote by 33db
Were you in active combat? I always wondered how soldiers deal with the gun fire as ear protection would reduce situational awareness.

I never got to the range without the bare minimum little marshmellows or my headset, I can do 500 rounds easy at the range, you would be deaf after that without protection.

Most are issued a VERY basic ear plug that is recommended be used.  99% of soldier do not use them for many reasons.  Situational awareness, forgot to bring them, PITA to put them in, and take them out.  I mean seriously, who's going to take the time to put them in when the SHTF?  Luckily, at one point I was issued some active ear protection.  Basically ear muffs with circuits that allow you to hear, actually better than you normally would, and then closes up when a certain DB is hit.  But again, they're uncomfortable, get in the way of getting a good cheek-weld, and get dirty/sweaty.  So they didn't get used as much as they should have either.   

A lot of Operators use active in ear systems that they purchase themselves. They're like mine, but more like a hearing aid size and A LOT more expensive. 
Quote by Xander_X

A lot of operators use active in ear systems that they purchase themselves. They're like mine, but more like a hearing aid size and A LOT more expensive.

My headset is active, nice because you can talk even when people are firing around you, but they push on my eye protection and after 2 hours or so I have a fatigue headache.

Speaking of ear protection back when I was playing with drummers and bands I had a pair of these ear plugs that were supposed to protect you from high decibel noise and still let you ear enough to play.
I wonder if that tech got any better.
Xander_X
You can delete post #23 by clicking on the number in the upper right corner of the post, you may already know this but i just found out a couple of days ago
Quote by 33db
My headset is active, nice because you can talk even when people are firing around you, but they push on my eye protection and after 2 hours or so I have a fatigue headache.

Speaking of ear protection back when I was playing with drummers and bands I had a pair of these ear plugs that were supposed to protect you from high decibel noise and still let you ear enough to play.
I wonder if that tech got any better.

I actually use these at the range:

They're discreet, comfortable, allows me to hear enough if needed, and takes enough DB away to not do any further damage.
Anybody got any tips for drumming to music?

At the moment I just use over-ear headphones that block some of the drum volume, but I still have to crank the music loud.

I'be got a couple different types of earplugs that block a lot of noise that I can wear underneath my headphones, but they don't filter out the cymbal frequencies too well, meaning I can't head my music properly over my cymbals.

Halp me Dr Pit
Xander_X, acute tinnitus is a thing, even though chronic tinnitus is something more people complain about

whoomit, have you tried earmuffs instead of headphones? I think the issue with cymbals is that high frequencies = high energy and there's only so much hearing protection can do
NeoMvsEu
You mean like earbuds + ear defenders?

I haven't tried that, no. Could be worth a shot if I can try earphones that stay in my ears properly!
whoomit
Yeah, exactly. I get the idea from volunteering a bit with people with noise sensitivity; it may work for you

Best of luck!
My best advice, stay away from loud music or noises for extended periods of time. If you notice that as soon as you stop listening to something, your ears are ringing more than usual, what you were doing is not good.

Other than that, ignore it and don't stress. Tinnitus is a neurological condition. The more you think about it, the worse it gets.