I'm a beginner looking to finally buy my very own guitar (I'd like an Acoustic-Electric btw). I was set on the APX700II because I found it to be more comfortable and it look quite decent in terms of style, but then I spotted the Epiphone Pro-1 Ultra. I know little about it but it looks really appealing to me. I know the prices are very different when comparing these two but, I just wanna know if they're worth their cost. So which should get the APX or Pro-1? Also feel free to suggest any other Acoustic-Electrics guitars which you think may be a better option, I'd appreciate it.
The Epi Pro-1 is designed as a "beginner's" guitar: it has a thin body, thin neck, shorter scale length, jumbo frets, ultra light strings - all of which are intended to make learning easier. The Yamaha APX700 also has a thin-line body but, that apart, it is a standard (if there is such a thing) guitar. I would tend towards the Yammie - they get a lot of love and rightly so because of their consistent quality. 

At the end of the day, it's up to you. You should certainly visit a good music store and try out as many guitars as you can - there are many great guitars available these days at reasonable prices that it's hard to go wrong - then buy the one you like best. 
Yes, not a good idea to pick a guitar because of it's looks.  You have to play a bunch of them at the store, go home, go back to the store and then consider what you like best.  You'd be surprised how important this "go home" part is.  It also helps to take an experienced player with you.  
 I'm with Garthman on getting a "standard" guitar over a "beginner's".  You can always put light strings on for a while.  
Along with tone and comfort, action (playability) is most important to me.  Looks are low on the list.
Thanks guys. I'm less hesitant on getting the Yamaha and I'll most likely take your advice and try a bunch of guitars available in the store within my price range just in case.
Quote by r4ndomnobody
Thanks guys. I'm less hesitant on getting the Yamaha and I'll most likely take your advice and try a bunch of guitars available in the store within my price range just in case.

Excellent. There are some really good guitars available - happy git hunting.
I'm a Yamaha guy when it comes to acoustics but there are 2 differences that should make the PRO-1 Ultra the better sounding guitar. First it's solid top while the APX is laminate and secondly it's a full size dread instead of a thin body(thin body=thin sound). Try em both and try some others in your price range. Happy hunting. 
hotrodney71 

The Pro 1 Ultra isn't full depth, and my favourite guitar, the best I have ever owned for fingerpicking has a laminate top, I've given up trying to predict performance on generalities. 

Trying as many as possible is a very good idea, including some that are outside your price range, to get an idea of what, if anything, you are missing out on. It should also be remembered that string age has a substantial effect on tone, and that "feel" is mostly about setup and can be altered to suit.
hotrodney71 I was sure the APX700II has a solid top as well, I may need to double check that.

Edit: Confirmed the 700 has a solid spruce top unlike the 500 which has a laminated top.
Last edited by r4ndomnobody at Apr 26, 2017,
r4ndomnobody Yeah I was looking at the 500 specs. Pretty close comparison but some reason the Yamaha is a couple hundred more. I have a Yamaha A1R and it's a fantastic guitar. The ART electronics are topnotch even though I very seldom amplify my acoustics. 
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/A1R This is an insane deal. I know people on here must think I work for Yamaha or Sweetwater LOL, but seriously this guitar is that good. I'm not as experienced as some of the posters on here and I certainly suggest you try many guitars out and pick the one that picks you, but I have a couple other pretty nice acoustics(Seagull, Breedlove, Washburn, Ibanez) and the A1R blows them away in both playability and sound. The best part is that it came set-up perfectly, didn't have to touch a thing. Even the strings- Elixirs.