So in my continuing quest to trade my Orange AD30 for something cool, I've been offered a 1978 Ibanez Musician 150.  Anyone have any experience with them?  I can't find too terribly much about them online, but from what I can tell they're supposed to be pretty well regarded.  That being said, I hear people saying they can go for anywhere from $300-1200.  The guy says that this one has a 25.5" scale length, with a mahogany body, ash wings, and a maple/rosewood neck.  The pickups are either the Super 77 or Super 88 passives that Ibanez made, and they're epoxied in their covers.  I've heard that because these are a weird, proprietary pickup design they can't be switched out for other humbuckers without doing some routing, but the guy says he has pickup rings for it that let you switch pickups.  I've also read that they're heavy because of the neck through construction.  I like the way it looks and I'm going to try it out this week, but does anyone here know anything about it?  Is it worth the trade?

Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Apr 25, 2017,
These are good guitars. 

Things NOT to swap out: 

The knobs (if original) have been as much as $45 *each* on eBay from time to time. I have an Ibanez whose previous owner swapped them out for an $8 set of speed knobs, and told me it was because "they looked like skateboard wheels."  He was crying when I told him how much he'd devalued the guitar. 

The bridge is near impossible to replace. Nothing you put in there will sound better. Leave It Alone. 

The pickups are impossible to replace. I'm constantly running across guitars that have "upgraded" these pickups to some generic SD crap, and the guitar is now worth half what it would have been. If you swap them out, hold onto every piece of them and do NOT clip them to produce short leads. You'll regret it. 

This is not a project guitar for most folks; it's a vintage guitar that should be appreciated as such. There are fewer all-original guitars every day, so the price is appreciating on those that are, staying sorta stagnant for those that aren't.
dspellman Well I was going to go demo it the other day but the guy decided that he didn't want to part with it after all and cancelled.  Oh well.  Thanks for your reply!
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"