Hello UG World, I looking for a new amp but i can't decide which brand to go. Any advice for me? I play Metal and only metal, i will use for gig and at home. So i want something that i will be able to play at home with a good sound without having the cop at home every Friday. My budget is around 2K-$2500 CND including the cab. I'm not closed to the idea of buying used unless the amp is not reliable for second use. I tried Blackstar HT serie, Laney Ironheart IRT120, Mesa Dual Rectified and Bugera 6260. Everyone have something but i can't get fixed. Right now i own a Randall RG200 which i like the heavy sound of it but nothing to compare with a tube amp. Any Suggestion?
Mesa Mark V 35 or Triple Crown with a vertical 2x12 rectifier cabinet. If you buy the TC new (and with currency conversion), it will put you over, but may be worth it.
monwobobbo I didn't try any Peavey. There's no issue with the amp i tried. They all sound great different way, i didn't fall in love with any.
Peavey 6505s are pretty cheap on the used market compared to most high end, high gain amplifiers. They sound great too!
Quote by Denis210
monwobobbo I didn't try any Peavey. There's no issue with the amp i tried. They all sound great different way, i didn't fall in love with any.

just wondering what was the missing element that would have made you fall in love. could help to guide you 
Did you try a Peavey Head with a cab or the Combo? A lot of people would recommend an immediate speaker swap in the combo. I think the 6505 and the + sound great. That being said the very last one I played through was shrill as all hell. but that was the combo and I honestly only used the head with cabs.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Canada Huh?  I seen this awhile back while hunting down a 72 Coupe for my collection and seen this one from Canada,  I already have one and am quite surprised its still here at this price,  Matter of fact if you don't hit it in the next day or two I will just to flip it for a few hundred,  Although may just keep it,  as mine is an early model with the funky screwed up finish on the grill , Gives it attitude though,  In any case Made in USA by the same guy that designed the Peavey JSX, XXX 5150, 6505. the Schecter Research Hellwin and a few others,  In other words the High Gain amp guru James Brown,  However these thing's hummed like a banshee till you tossed the stock Sovtek's and installed the JJ or in my case Tungsol,  And although you can go with the EL34's  I stuck with the 6L6,  The kids with the shiny new EVH 5150's and Peavey 6505's  They're afraid of it,   Just trying to help here, but if this thing is still up on Friday its mine, and I have no budget. 

https://reverb.com/item/3203457-kustom-double-cross?
Last edited by nastytroll at Apr 25, 2017,
Yes 'm from Canada and with the money exchange it's pretty expansive here. That's why i want make the best choice. First of all i wanted a 100W Amp, but do you think a 50w or 60w will be enough? I play most of the time at home but i will use it for gig too. I want have something with enough power to play with drum (my drummer is very loud) and i want have something that will sound great at home too (without play very loud). Any sugestion?
There are a lot of videos on YouTube that should help. I recommended the Mark V 35 because it sounds great at low volumes and should be loud enough to gig with. I love the dual rectifier and mini head version but just prefer the tone of it when opened up, which is a little louder than my family generally prefers.

The Peavey 6505 is a good lower cost option to the Mesa. The EVH is another option in your range.

If you can find some of the boutique amp makers, the Friedman Runt 50 is more of a Marshall sound. Splawn, Bogner and others sound great as well.

At this price point you really can't go wrong. If you buy used, all of these will have decent resale values.

Good luck and tell us what you get.
Last edited by MAChiefs at Apr 26, 2017,
Quote by Denis210
Yes 'm from Canada and with the money exchange it's pretty expansive here. That's why i want make the best choice. First of all i wanted a 100W Amp, but do you think a 50w or 60w will be enough? I play most of the time at home but i will use it for gig too. I want have something with enough power to play with drum (my drummer is very loud) and i want have something that will sound great at home too (without play very loud). Any sugestion?

50w is plenty for a tube amp and the watts can be deceptive for lower volumes. I find some amps sound better at lower volumes (regardless of size). But you should definitely find something in the 35, 40, 50w range that would work. There are 100w amps that sound fine at lower volumes as well. If your drummer is very loud, and you are worried about it, 50w+ would be best. For example, I would wonder if the Mark V 35 would be loud enough on its own.
did you try them with an overdrive pedal up front as a boost? if you're playing at low volumes that's very useful.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Denis210
I've been checking out Quilter based on a recommendation here, and it appears high gain metal is not opposed to solid state amps.
Not sure if it would fit for you as I don't play metal but quite a few of the reviewers that I watched do play metal and like their SS amps.
Here's a previous thread on this site that also references a blog that discusses amp type.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1154430
Mesa - you can't go wrong - they even have great cleans and are frankly useable in any context, in case your tastes change over time.  They sound amazing at any volume, which is one of their huge benefits.

30 watts is actually enough if you go with a Mesa - they're very loud. I have the 30 watt Lonestar Special combo combo and play with a guitarist who uses a Roadster  and  an Express combo and neither of us is ever past 12'o o clock on the master volume, and that project is  in prog metal territory with a heavy handed drummer. 

Frankly,  the suggestions of amps above here are all good so it's a matter of budget and taste in the end. 
Well, you said you didn't like all of my normal suggestions.  How about the Randall Thrasher then?  

What don't you like about the other amps you've tried?  
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Hey guys I am very old school my opinion would be the Mesa Lonestar, have used them for well over 40 yrs my newest is a custom built straight 100 watt, the trick I use to keep the cops away is a OMNI SONIC tube amp control box. I can crank the amp to get the tubes hot and screaming then turn the control box down. In the 70's we called them power absorbers but that isn't accurate because it in no way cuts the power only the loud output
basshuntermic1   I've tried a few lonestars and was blown away by the quality of the cleans but the onboard distortion left me a little unimpressed.  Is that really something you'd reccomend someone who ONLY plays metal?
Yes I would it is the same as a Marshall Stack or any other amp from my era if yo want all out of control it can handle anything you trough at it, as far as metal that is where ur effects come in. When I started the only thing available I as a eltro harmonic FUZZ BOX CRY BABY Wah and the he amp and as history has shown we blew the windows out . If you do not want to spend a fortune on stomp boxes and then get a modeling amp I have 2 Line 6 amps with every amplifier ever made brit American as well as others and if there is a effects you want I guarantee you it's in there they also have a foot pedal that has all the technology in there to use with any amp I have 17 amps sitting here and I usually go for either my Line 6 Firehawk 1500 or Line 6 Spider V 240 watt 2 12's . And don't get me wrong I love my MESA with it I loop a flanger chorus sonic overdrive with a little reverb and I gaurantee you cannot lose me
diabolicalyes sir that is why I had mine custom built cut the 15 and 50 out raw With just the 100 watt but as I stated I loop a tone city model m in with a few other boxes and she gets the job done I am trying to figure all the new tech stuff out I will be putting in a lot of gear up 9 electrics 7 acoustics and who knows how many effects and amps but I understand his concerns that's where individuality comes in hell I took 2 new American elite strats and stripped them everything down to the nut was changed so it's a matter of taste
Denis210 With you not liking most of the classic high gain metal amps, I wouldn't say a Mesa Lonestar.  My Roadster has some of the channels from the Lonestar and they're not the "metal" channels. . .  

The Lonestar is a great amp but I don't think it's what you're looking for here.  
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
6505 is a good suggestion.  Mediocre cleans but excellent high gain tone which is all you really care about. You can also get a used ENGL Powerball for around $1400 here which would just about fit your budget with a cab.  A Mark V will NOT be in your budget except for perhaps the 35 watt one but I would just try to score a used Mark IV, which is what I use.  Excellent tone and very versatile although, you don't really care about that.  It has an excellent high gain tone but also nice mid-gain/crunch tones.  The clean is alright.  Nothing to write home about but not bad. 

The Recto tone I am not a fan off.  It's fizzy and sounds too dry and not saturated at all.  Very ill suted for thrash riffage IMHO.  I've owned a single recto for a while and really tried to like it but I just couldn't.  The cleans are nice though. 
With your budget you should honestly pay a private amp builder to make you an amp, or build one yourself.
Splawn, Fryette, Rivera, Orange, EVH 5153, mesa two channel rec or roadster, etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by basshuntermic1
Yes I would it is the same as a Marshall Stack or any other amp from my era if yo want all out of control it can handle anything you trough at it, as far as metal that is where ur effects come in. When I started the only thing available I as a eltro harmonic FUZZ BOX CRY BABY Wah and the he amp and as history has shown we blew the windows out . If you do not want to spend a fortune on stomp boxes and then get a modeling amp I have 2 Line 6 amps with every amplifier ever made brit American as well as others and if there is a effects you want I guarantee you it's in there they also have a foot pedal that has all the technology in there to use with any amp I have 17 amps sitting here and I usually go for either my Line 6 Firehawk 1500 or Line 6 Spider V 240 watt 2 12's . And don't get me wrong I love my MESA with it I loop a flanger chorus sonic overdrive with a little reverb and I gaurantee you cannot lose me

painful to read. painful recommendations.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sorry guys I am just a fkd up veteran, should have known better than try to do anything that involves ppl I am good for nothing but killing. I will remove myself and leave to you pros.
Try the Peavey 6505+, I've been using it for over 5 years now. It has a lots of EQ options. Play around with Pre/Post Gain controls for the best results.
Thanks for all your comment and suggestion. After try many amp, (i don't have acces  to many brand in my area) and with my budget allow, i think i will go with  the Peavey 6505, or Blackstar HT100 Metal or the IronHeart IRT120. I have to concider the amount of the cab and also the fu.. taxes (we pay to many taxes here in Quebec). Now my concern is about the reliability of the amp.  I will not move the amp very often. Which on do you think will be the most sustainable? Also, what is the main diference between a straight 4X12  cab and an anglered 4X12? 
Im gonna guess minor weight reduction and monitoring purpose?
For me the 6505 became a little uninspiring plus I dig my friend's 6534 more
neither were as devastating as a recto tho 
ps. A real nice metal pedal is also quite amazing 
27mMoV31II7.a2
Last edited by Antimage27 at Apr 30, 2017,
Check out Splawn. They have some great options with multiple tube variants that can go from that 80's shred/Shrapnel tone to modern. I've got a pro stock and it kills my 5150 III for lead and rhythm tone. Overall the Splawn tone is really tight, not ice picky and leads itself well to lead tones. If you're not looking for a mid range heavy tone look elsewhere, but if you want to cut through a mix check 'em out. Another amp to look into is the Randall Satan, mega tweakable, as it has lo and high gain freq adjustments. Really geared towards a modern metal tone. Check out Ola England as a reference. Works well with standard and down tuned 6 and 7 strings from my experience. Splawn is cheaper, but with a longer build/wait time, Randall is readily available, but lacks some of the build quality of the Splawn. If you're looking for stock metal tone on the cheap just go with a 5150 or 6505. 6505 can be had for cheap on the used market.