I'm wondering, I want to buy a JCM 800 100 watt, but it's 3 grand. So I'm considering buying the 50 watt head. Is there any different in tonality with these two or just the 100 watt goes louder? I don't plan on playing very loud anyway. 

And question #2) Does having an expensive cab mean you get better sound? I bought a cheap marhshall cab for like $250, I have no clue though? 
any difference in any amp will alter the sound to some degree.  It has more to do with the speakers then the amp when comparing the same amps with different wattages.  For example, if you have a 2x12" 75w each speaker, it will react to the 50w different than the 100w.  You'll get different sounds.  But I don't think it will matter all that much.

in terms of being loud, 100w is a minimal db increase over the 50w.  Both are crazy loud with a proper cab.

Cheap cabs have cheap speakers.  Will not sound the same as a high end cab.  You could buy a cheaper used cab and upgrade the speakers for fairly cheap.  Look into WGS speakers, and Eminence.

If you're open to buying used you can score a nice JCM 800 and get a 1936 lead cab, 2x12, for a lot less than 3k.  Probably closer to 1500$.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
Last edited by DirtFarmer at Apr 25, 2017,
you likely got a n MG cab which crap.  3 grand seems pretty steep for that head. 
You get what you pay for. Go for a mid priced head and a mid priced cab.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Sorrelity
One of these is in my future:
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
nastytroll thanks for the useless post, your name fits you well.

Thanks everyone else. I've always had this cab never had a chance to play through another. 
Sorrelity

What nastytroll is saying in his name-appropriate (and not to be emulated) style is that your cab will define your sound a lot- a bad one will make a great amp sound far less impressive than it should. So if you're going to go head & cab as opposed to a combo, make sure you invest enough in the cab to ensure it's not limiting the head.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I think the cab and speakers are more important than pickups. People swap out pickups constantly when the tone can be materially improved by the cab/speaker.

The quilter above with a good cab would get you a great tone at a small fraction of buying a JCM 800. Not saying better but a lot cheaper and good tone for the value.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Sorrelity

What nastytroll is saying in his name-appropriate (and not to be emulated) style is that your cab will define your sound a lot- a bad one will make a great amp sound far less impressive than it should. So if you're going to go head & cab as opposed to a combo, make sure you invest enough in the cab to ensure it's not limiting the head.

Yeah. A good cab won't make a bad amp good (though at the same time it might surprise you how good that "bad" amp can sound with decent speakers, since most bad amps have rubbish speakers), but a bad cab can make a good amp seem like a bad amp, if that makes sense.

What type(s) of music will you be playing?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why do you want a JCM 800 when you state you don't need to play loud?
 If it is a certain marshall sound there are smaller amps or solutions that not only might be more in your budget but maybe even achieve the sound you want if you have a sound in mind. Understand maybe that sound needs the JCM 800 cranked. I have a Blackstar HT-5R and a Bugera G5 that can give a decent Marshall type sound without having to blast my neighbors out of bed although they are very, very loud. The Bugera even has an attenuator switch so you can drop it from 5 watts to 1 or even .1 watt. for that purpose. There are even a couple of pedals (Wampler Pinacle, MI Audio) that give an excellent sound I think. 
Just sounds like you are spending for a lot of amp you may not use. 
Why do you want a JCM 800 when you state you don't need to play loud?

A fair question. My personal answer is it is always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Which is why I have a 30w and a 40w amp, and am looking at amps that go up to 100w. I will probably never gig, but I'll definitely have the gear to do so if it comes up.

Still...

There are amps out there from Carvin, Fender, Mesa and many others that deliver killer tones, but can dial back their wattage- some as low as 1w. And features like Master Volumes or even headphone jacks can help addr SS the volume issue.

Splawn quickrod. JCM800 on crack, meth, and steroids, but can easily stay true to the JCM800 basic tone. better amp through and through in every aspect. i own two splawns, amazing amps. ~$1.1 USD used.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dannyalcatraz
My personal answer is it is always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. 

This pic is an example why I have found that is not a great idea. This is just a fraction of my amps as I have almost a dozen more. And I rarely use regular amps anymore, preferring my Axe FX. The Mesa Boogie & Fishman Loudbox (not in pic) the only amps I really use anymore. Plus as money is not unlimited, if there is something else you actually need (recording equipment, effects, instruments, etc.) you will not have the funds for what you do have a need for. 

webjunk

To clarify, I was talking about features on a particular amp (or other device) not in the sense of having a whole bunch of amps.

In all honesty, my G.A.S. list is huge- probably into six figures if I added it all up- but I know I'll never buy all of that because I don't have the money or the space. But I do have 50+ pedals,30 guitars and 2 amps, and plan on increasing those numbers.

Quote by webjunk
This pic is an example why I have found that is not a great idea. This is just a fraction of my amps as I have almost a dozen more. And I rarely use regular amps anymore, preferring my Axe FX. The Mesa Boogie & Fishman Loudbox (not in pic) the only amps I really use anymore. Plus as money is not unlimited, if there is something else you actually need (recording equipment, effects, instruments, etc.) you will not have the funds for what you do have a need for. 

i lol'd at this picture. it made me laff.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
My answer is usually that the smaller amps don't necessarily sound the same as the bigger amp, and also are so loud that you can't crank them either- and at really low (home) volumes, counterintuitively bigger amps often sound better turned way down than smaller amps do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
counterintuitively bigger amps often sound better turned way down than smaller amps do.

Guessing you never tried a Fender Twin. It gets my favorite blues tone but hasn't left my closet for over two years because you only get the tone when near fully cranked. Plenty of amps need to be cranked for its signature sound. 
If you're not going to be playing loud a 100 watt Marshall head is a terrible idea, probably the worst amp you could buy - they sound weak at even mild volumes and are designed to be played very loud, which is where they shine.  I'd suggest a Mesa  since they are designed to sound good at lower volumes.
Quote by webjunk
Guessing you never tried a Fender Twin. It gets my favorite blues tone but hasn't left my closet for over two years because you only get the tone when near fully cranked. Plenty of amps need to be cranked for its signature sound. 

Yes of course, but plenty don't, and to be fair the threadstarter isn't talking about a Fender Twin, which doesn't have a master volume (the JCM800 does).

However, that's a fair point reverb66 made, in that Marshalls (or at least older-style Marshalls) might not be the best choice if you can't crank them... but that's not to say that you have to then jump to smaller amps (which are still usually too loud anyway), as there may be other options which will do (more or less) that tone even turned down, and will likely do it better than a small amp which you still can't crank.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I want to get this sound

I own an axefx2, and I still cannot seem to get a good tone like this.
I downloaded like 30 marshall presets and they all sound like utter shit even with headphones on they still don't get this marshall styled tone. 
Last edited by Sorrelity at Apr 27, 2017,
The problem you'll run into is volume - to hit the sweetspot on those amps they have to be cranked - that's where the "weight" of the tone comes from.  What about a Kemper? It may be a better option if you don't have the space to crank an amp - the Kemper may be better for these types of tones than the Axe FX . Worth looking into. 
Quote by Sorrelity
I want to get this sound

I own an axefx2, and I still cannot seem to get a good tone like this.
I downloaded like 30 marshall presets and they all sound like utter shit even with headphones on they still don't get this marshall styled tone. 

You most definitely can get those sounds on the AXE FX.  Several excellent ones on Axechange. My favorite is the Brit 800 Mod which is the stock preset #69. Make sure your firmware is recent as Cliff has updated it a couple of times. For some you need to play with the tube bias and cab controls a bit and tweak to your liking. Remember its not as much the preset, but the settings. An Axe FX is not much different than the real amp. You still need to touch the same controls as you would on a real amp. And I don't know what kind of headphones you are using but everything you play or listen an Axe FX through will effect the sound you hear. 
I currently own what I believe is a Marshall MG cab, it came with the Marshall MG head which I thought sounded like shit so I returned but I kept the cab. what price should I expect to pay for a good cab? Can I get what I'm looking for at my local music store?  What would you guys recommend for the AXE.