The neck is back bowed and I've done just about everything I can to fix it, it was such a cheap bass it's not even worth replacing the neck or getting it fixed by a professional so I'm wondering whats a decent way to reuse an old bass besides just hanging it up on the wall?
you can buy a neck from china if it is a Fender style bass for £35 on eBay. If not there are plenty of people who will buy old broken basses to strip down for parts. Or strip it down yourself and sell off the pickups, tuners body etc separately.
Sounds like you have the beginnings of a good parts project bass on your hands.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
 Play a Who song and smash it onstage.
I would use it to teach myself how to work on guitars. swap tuners, bridge, pups, pots, replace necks, that sort.
Quote by SovietStar
I would use it to teach myself how to work on guitars. swap tuners, bridge, pups, pots, replace necks, that sort.

This is actually a good idea.   I would start with a new neck.  Warmoth and Stewart MacDonald sell parts that are reasonable.  You could have a fantastic Frankenbass on your hands in no time.
Hollow out the body and turn it into a fish tank.
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
SDMF#UG003-pantera-nat124
Quote by Mr_Zakk_Wylde
Hollow out the body and turn it into a fish tank.

Good idea.
I'd start out with an oscar. Give him couple days to get settled. If he looks lonely, put in some goldfish to keep him company.
You can get Mighty Mite necks reasonably priced, and I've heard they hold up pretty well, but I personally haven't tried one.  Or, for close to the same price you could find a cheap one on CL or whatever your local online ads are and combine the 2 into a super bass with more pickups.  As we all know, moar cheap pickups = moar cheap tone!
Don't know your experience level, so I'll start with what's obvious to me. Loosen the truss rod some. All of my basses bow back in the spring and forward in the fall to some degree. Loosen in spring, tighten in fall. Capo at first fret, and press down on the E at the last fret. I set mine so that when I look at it from the side, the slightest sliver of light passes between the string and 8th fret (9th on a 24 fret neck). If that's not it....

Take the neck off. Completely loosen the truss rod. Put a piece of 2x4 flat under the heel and at the nut. Pad it well with a t-shirt or rag or else it may dent. Clamp it to the table/bench between the 8th and 9th frets. You want the clamp to hit right in the middle of the fingerboard's width. Tighten the clamp until the neck is straight. Thoroughly warm the neck, using a hair dryer. Let it sit 2 days. Loosen the clamp, and see what you got. Really bad bows sometimes require more than one treatment and/or tighter clamping.

Good luck!!!
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
deeptubes yeah I've tried just about everything, she always bends right back, just went out and got a much better bass than that one ever was
Watch stewmac video... remove strings, remove neck (optional bass guitar neck), loosen trus rod.. place a protective cover on the frets and place a straight piece of wood on the back bowed bass neck.. let it sit for a month or more..

Research what is back bow, neck relief, and how do I straighten a guitar neck..
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at May 21, 2017,
Sx bass neck from www.rondomusic.com are very affordable.. you can transfer the tuners over to the new neck..

You didn't mention what you did or attempt to do to straighten a back bowed neck... since it is a cheap bass as you point out.. it can be a great opportunity to learn new skill..
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Someone mentioned Chinese necks on eBay. That is an option. I have also bought 2 different used necks on eBay for less than $30 each. Both installed fine and are still rock solid and used all the time. 
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Sign the name of a famous bassist on it and try to sell it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
psp742 I thought about a new neck, but it's a Ibanez so it's got one of those super thin necks, would I need a replacement specifically for that or could I fit a regular neck on an Ibanez body? Also it's a 5-string
Last edited by PurpleMoon at Jun 3, 2017,
PurpleMoon do it then, it's the perfect way to send off a fallen comrade. much more respectable than the tree pulverizer that dspellman suggested. 
If the bass keeps back bow, get heavier strings than what you normally use to counter the backward bow.. or you have a B@$$ wall art.. then buy another bass.. done..
Quote by PurpleMoon
ImNeverSalty Do you think the law would notice?

i'm not sure. why would it be against the law if part of the lake is on your property? 
Quote by ImNeverSalty
i'm not sure. why would it be against the law if part of the lake is on your property? 

In a lot of jurisdictions, your property ends at the waterline. If *all* of the lake is on your property, you can still find yourself subject to a whole variety of laws (pollution of the water table, introduction of invasive species, all kinds of fishing and conservation laws, etc., etc.). Can't assume this stuff.
Are you positive it is bowing? Can you tell from the intonation being off, frets hitting?

Just asking because I have had friends say their guitar necks were bad but it was just from them taking a break from playing and not being as good when they came back.

Easier to blame equipment than user error.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
Quote by PurpleMoon
ImNeverSalty I do live on a lake...

Do you live on a boat?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.