I'm not good with words, so I will make this brief yet informative.

Thrash metal is a sub-genre of Heavy metal that spawned in the early 1980's with the intent of combining the musicianship of NWOBHM with the speed and aggression of punk. Given the times, heavy metal was not seen as the technically and musically proficient sub-genre it has become, but rather a den for deadbeats without a future (see the "Satanic Panic" of the 1980's for those not familiar -- this is not the thread for this). This, combined with the competitive nature between some bands, a natural outcome was reached -- a significant improvement in the musicality and technical capacity of many bands, including influences from diverse areas such as classical, progressive rock, and fusion. From here, the progressive/technical thrash metal movement went on to inspire many bands in the progressive metal genre, such as Dream Theater, Nevermore, and Psychotic Waltz.

Essential bands (albums in brackets, "titles in quotes like this"):

Artillery ("By Inheritance")
Blind Illusion ("The Sane Asylum")
Coroner (whole discography except "Grin", which is more prog than thrash)
Dark Angel (whole discography)
Forbidden ("Twisted Into Form")
Heathen (whole discography)
Invocator ("Excursion Demise")
Mekong Delta (most of it is good)
Paradox ("Heresy")
Toxik (whole discography)
Voivod ("Killing Technology", most of the discography is great though)
Watchtower (whole discography)

Many bands have continued/revived in more recent times but there are a few newer bands such as Vektor, who continue to throw thrash metal into unknown musical territory.

Feel free to let me know if something should be added/fixed.
Last edited by HaydenHohns at May 3, 2017,
Kytokinesis Thanks, I don't think Paradox released anything bad either, although Heresy is what I remember them by. Also, I attached one of the tracks I'm working on. This one is inspired by Coroner, although there is some call-and-response at the start and a solo that uses Phrygian Dominant (which is common in metal) but also uses Lydian Dominant, which is not common in metal (but is is seen in Jazz a lot). I would have attached some more but I can only attach one per post.
Attachments:
6 Thrash.gp5
Damn, that solo at the beginning is already harder than anything I can play. I kinda lost interest in solos though a while ago. The riffs at bar 34 and from 38 to 43 were my favorite parts.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Kytokinesis The only reason why I can do half the things I can do on guitar now is because when I was in school, I was obsessed with all things prog, like I needed to prove to everyone who didn't like metal that there was actual musicality behind it. It always annoyed me back then when people assumed it was incoherent noise. I'm (somewhat) more mature since then, as I do enjoy some (relatively) simple music at times.

I did lose interest in solos for a while, but there are some players who still inspire me. Pagan's Mind, have a fantastic guitarist, who conjures some very creative 80's style solos (solo starts at 3:40).

Here's another one attached, which sounds more like a USPM band.
Attachments:
3 USPM.gp5
I never really gave Pagan's Mind a thorough listen. He's a talented guitarist for sure. That GP file doesn't give me a lot of typical USPM vibes, except for maybe the 90's, 2000's era bands, which I might post a few of the bands I'm talking about in the USPM thread later. You'll probably dig them if you haven't heard them already. You've got the same kind of interesting riff structures going on there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now can we talk about Toxik and how this might be my favorite thrash ballad ever?

Toxik are fucking tight. Musically and sonically, very crisp precise sound. Think This! Ranks as some of my favourite thrash/power metal out there.
Kytokinesis Sorry, by USPM, I basically meant 2nd album by Sanctuary. Of course I am familiar with others, both from the 80's and 2000's. That said, I think Pharaoh --- and in particular, the track, "Be Gone", has some interesting melodies over the verse riffs. I'm guessing you were referring to that?

Indeed, that is a great ballad. I have to invest in an acoustic guitar, or maybe an acoustic simulator. Some very subtle whammy bar usage makes the solo just right.
Nah I was talking about bands like Destiny's End and Timelord. But anyways. I'm crazy for this kinda thrash right now.

Kytokinesis Technical thrash in general or the stuff I put up? I should warn you, I believe I have the highest form of musical ADHD in existence. I switch between different styles so rapidly, I can't write an album of music of the same genre. I've been trying to do it for years. I can change between genres within a day. As of the last couple of days, I have been gorging on just about any form of Scandinavian black metal. 

However, I did buy some new software that has fundamentally changed the way I write music so we'll see if I have any luck.

Thanks for the recommendations too. I'm in the process of listening to "The Obscure" by Destiny's End right now. With the exception of the shoddy transitions, the music is fantastic.
HaydenHohns Yea, technical thrash. And I'm glad you enjoy Destiny's end, 2nd album is a lot better IMO. It's Helstar's singer btw.

I was gonna post this as a psychotronic but since this thread exists now I think it fits in pretty well here.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sacrosanct/463

Labeled as progressive thrash from the Netherlands. Also the cover art is fucking awesome. They're supposed to be re-issuing their 3 albums some time this year. Not sure about the other two, but I definitely want to pick up this one.

Kytokinesis Neat, and I will check that out.

Thanks for bringing up Sacrosanct, I've been writing some melodic black metal and some of the 6/8 grooves they're working with will mesh well with the blackened thrash riffs I'm working on. The cover art is cool and without looking up who the artist was, I knew it was H. R. Giger, his style is so distinct.

The fourth track has some really nice leads in it too. 
Quote by severed-metal
Toxik are fucking tight. Musically and sonically, very crisp precise sound. Think This! Ranks as some of my favourite thrash/power metal out there.

Our world burns up in flames

For higher PROFIT GAINS

This album is fucking perfect. Think this, think that...

Droid - Terrestrial Mutations, released this year. Pretty neat.

So Toxik are releasing a 3-song EP on August 4 and are planning to release a new full length by the end of the year. Fucking awesome news as far as I'm concerned.

Kytokinesis I thought the first two tracks were on par. The vocals were better in Stand Up than Breaking Class and vice versa for the riffs. Psyop is pretty darn tight though. That sweep section at 2:30 was pretty good and the solo that followed was very tasteful.