Hi, Ultimate guitarists,

I found an ad for a Gibson Les Paul Standard which looks very nicely on the outside, but I definitely don't have enough "expertise" to say if it's a fake or not, and there is just something very fishy about the price, as it's too low for a USA-made Gibson. Now, the seller says he "found it in a Budapest subway station" (like how the hell do you leave your guitar behind...) and he claims to be no expert, probably trying to justify the low price. From the pictures you can clearly see the back of the headstock, so I checked the serial number. http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx says the following:

"Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
on June 4th, 2013
Production Number: 141"

You can imagine how I started drooling all over the screen but then I did some more "research", so here here are my thoughts:

1. The 2013 models (from what I found, at least) don't have the "plastic" keys (sorry for the noob talk). It does say "Gibson Deluxe" on them but I don't know if that's important.
2. The second was that the serial number is not engraved and just looks different - the font is too big and is somewhat "stamped", and not embedded in the body. Again, I'm no guitar historian, so these are just assumptions.
3. The "Made in USA" stamp also looks kinda different from the others from the 2013 issue.
4. The "Standard" on the headstock looks off - like the font is different and in Bold. Not sure though.

All of the above might just be my paranoia though, so any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

So yeah, that's pretty much it. Photos are below, sorry for the retarded formatting.

(TL-DR: Photos - fake or not)

Big, big thanks in advance! 

1. Back of the headstock
2. The guitar itself
3. Headstock front
Last edited by ghost359 at Apr 26, 2017,
It's a fake.

The sides of the headstock on a Gibson are straight, Gibson uses Kluson Deluxe tuners, not Gibson branded ones. Plus, the holes for the tuners are in the wrong place.
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Apr 26, 2017,
Yeah, that entire guitar looks off.  I'd stay away from it.

I don't really understand the business model of making fake Les Pauls. For what you can sell them for on the used market, I don't envision someone making back their investment when you consider the materials, time, and tools needed to make a guitar. I've got easily over a grand in tools and stuff for when I was a tech.  And Les Pauls aren't exactly the easiest to mass produce from your garage.  

Folks are odd.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 26, 2017,
Oof dont even know where to start with that.

For one, the logo is too low and the truss rod cover is flat on the nut. The tuners are oddly spaced and positioned and the headstock lacks the wings glued to it.

Also the low rez body pic but good quality HS pics? Wonder why....
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Thank you all for your comments, you saved me from trouble!

Although, I must admit that after you guys pointed them out, the flaws seem pretty obvious. Thanks again!
Last edited by ghost359 at Apr 26, 2017,
Good luck on your guitar hunt
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Looking at the back of my Les Paul Tribute:

and my Standard:

And my Studio:

The back of the one you show is a show stopper before you even look elsewhere. Just the shape tells you to stay away.
Last edited by GoldJim at Apr 26, 2017,
Again, thanks everyone for your time and comments, keep rockin'! \m/