We play quite heavy metal in drop C, and my little marshall dsl40c, boosted with a TS808 with it's stock celestion 70/80 speaker seems to dominate the stage, and the rehearsal room. It sounds way warmer, less harsh than my bud's 6505 into a laney 4x12. 

If the stock speaker, often considered as shit sounds really good, will replacing it with, say a vintage30 make it sound extremely good?

Will replacing the speaker make the amp's bass tighter? I think it's the only thing I would want to improve.

Also, any suggestions for great replacement speakers other than a V30?
The V30 is a pretty great speaker for closed back cabinets.

You might also like the Eminence Governor and Swamp Thang.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Of course, upgrading a speaker can definitely improve the sound significantly. If you love it now, not sure the outcome will be better.

As you know, the 40c is not a closed back cabinet. I have a 2x12 closed back cabinet with V30's and it sounds great with my Mesa but I haven't tried it with the 40c.

You may have good experience adding a 1x12 cabinet with the combo, or running through another cabinet instead of upgrading the speaker alone.

Lastly, if you do a search, I recall that there have been some threads on upgrading the speaker on the 40c in the past.
Quote by MAChiefs
Lastly, if you do a search, I recall that there have been some threads on upgrading the speaker on the 40c in the past.

Yes, but everyone else said the stock speaker makes the amp unplayable because of it's harshness and lack of bass, when I think it has just enough, or even too much bass, because it can get loose and flubby.

I forgot to mention my amp was slightly modified, it's a bit tighter and less bassy on the Lead 2 mode. My target is to stop using a boost pedal in front, because the amp itself has enough gain and I have the volume on my TS808 at noon so it just cuts some bass, and makes the pick attack clearer. Without the boost the pick attack is simply not there and it's not quite as agressive. I think the V30 high-mid spike might be what I am looking for, but I don't want to spend money without trying it first, and I am also open to other possibilities.

T00DEEPBLUE I like the Swamp Thang but I think it may have too much bass. It sounds tight though
chuck out the 70/80. V30 or K100 is what i would throw in. probably V30
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I wouldn't say that they are overly bassy at all. As for the open backed part of the equation, I run a V30 in my RM20 which is open backed and it sounds just fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I will check out my dsl with a mesa 2x12 today. If it sounds good I'm definitely replacing the speaker
Quote by ArturPr
I will check out my dsl with a mesa 2x12 today. If it sounds good I'm definitely replacing the speaker

that will be of absolute no help. its likely an OS sealed cab, with good speakers. that cab is nothing like the open back tone you would get from your DSL.

just buy a V30 and be done with it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
assuming you can easily afford it, probably.

v30s are very tight on the bass.

what's the laney cab? it might be crap, too.

Quote by Antimage27
Isn't the v30 bottom heavy ?

No, quite the opposite, I'd say.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well by now I think of either a creamback or a V30.
I am just afraid I will not like it, and since I want to buy second hand, because it's twice as cheap, it will basically be lost money at that point
Quote by ArturPr
Well by now I think of either a creamback or a V30.
I am just afraid I will not like it, and since I want to buy second hand, because it's twice as cheap, it will basically be lost money at that point

Why would it be? Just resell it for what you paid for.

There's really no way you're going to try any speaker out before you buy it. Cabinet dimensions make a difference to how speakers react, so unless you happen to come across another DSL40 with a V30 speaker in it, you're not going to get any useful information from playing another cabinet that's any different to your own.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Okay. But overall, which speaker is brighter?
Seventy 80, Vintage 30, or creambacks?

Bear in mind that the cabinet used in this test is not an open back in the style that yours is. Your results may vary. That cannot be stressed enough.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Just buy the V30 used and if you don't like it sell it for what you paid for it. . . There's a huge market for them because they are so popular.  It's middy and cuts. 
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Used is a good way to buy a V30. Let somebody else break it in.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
V30 do rip pretty well but it boast body which in ur open back is fine 
70/80 has more treble in the signature but the v30 has great presence 
do creams even do amazing high gain ?  my greenback is alright but I shoulda kept my 2x12 
i have a cheap eminence in my DSLc and it's great for the one trick and helped ease the bottom off .. now it's less versatile but lovably louder
Save for a nice amp/axe ! 
27mMoV31II7.a2
Last edited by Antimage27 at Apr 28, 2017,
The guitar speaker can make or break an amp. Your mate's 6505 amp is a great amp. It most likely suffers from the inferior speaker. I have a creamback in my DSL. I never really liked the amp with the 70/80 but now I really liking it with the Creamback (G12M65). It sounds clear and with aggressive mids. I rarely use a lot of gain, but when I do I like it. I think the V30 is a completely different sound. But if I were to go for a heavy sound I would look at the V30 before the Creamback. The 70/80 does not sound bad, but it is muddy as it is a mid price speaker. It does sound decent with a tube amp, but is not as good as the premium speakers. The notes are not as defined as say the Creamback. You will notice the difference after swapping the speaker.

If you like the sound of your amp with the overdrive pedal, you should keep using it until you fix your mind on a particular speaker. Note that a heavy maginet speaker will make your amp heavier. It is highly probable that you will not be able to get the same sound out of the amp without a pedal. Most overdrive pedals add something to your tone that you cannot achieve by simply increase the amp gain. It has to do with the pedal voicing and the way it clips the sound. The Tube Screamer is a great tool for that job. Other cool pedals that can add gain and reduce bass are MXR micro amp and an EQ pedal.
Gab_Azz Thanks for your great response. So, if I understand you correctly, a premium speaker will be able to achieve a similar or better sound, while leaving me with more adjustment options. So if I crank the treble and presence on my amp, it will be bright and present without being harsh and ear-piercing?
Quote by ArturPr
Gab_Azz  Thanks for your great response. So, if I understand you correctly, a premium speaker will be able to achieve a similar or better sound, while leaving me with more adjustment options. So if I crank the treble and presence on my amp, it will be bright and present without being harsh and ear-piercing?

No, most guitar speakers are heavily voiced as opposed to hifi speakrs. They are a dominant EQ like section in your rig. Some players do use hifi speakers in their rigs but then use a lot of pedals to achieve their tone. Typically they run into a clean amp though.

Heavily voiced guitar speakers give your tone character. It is hard to explain in words the difference between the 70/80 to a cream back in terms of quality. Even with online samples it is hard to judge as most mics have a voice of their own. At this stage you have to take a risk and try a few speakers in your rig. For example the Creamback has offensive mids and sharp highs. No matter what you do you will not get a big bottom end (with the 65w) compared to an American voiced speaker. 
I have 2 V30's in my Mesa Roadster closed back and I used to have 4 of them in an Ampeg 4X12 they are great speakers.

FWIW I also currently have a 4X12 loaded with Eminence Swamp Thang and Texas Heat speakers both from the Patriot series I have 2 of each mounted in an X pattern and they are excellent sounding speakers and should be a tad less expensive if budget is a concern.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

My friend used to have a dsl40c with a V30 speaker, it sounded really great! I haven't really heard it with the 70/80 but according to him it was a big upgrade. I think its worth the shot, you'll either end up with a better sound or end up losing no money/bare minimum if you sell it back.
I have a dsl40c replaced the speaker with Eminence Governor and it sounds a lot clearer now.