I just received a new Jackson SL2Q from Sam Ash. There were no springs installed they were loose in the box but the backplate was installed. The Floyd was of course loose. 
If you look at this first picture, it looks like there might be some damage to the cavity from the Floyd moving during shipment. Is this anything to worry about? 

Second question: Why is the neck a different color in that small band? Is that normal?
THey probably use a different clear coat for the painted parts than the unfinished neck?  Soloists typically have painted necks so I'm not sure (both of mine do). Also, most guitars that have a finished (back of) headstock have a finished neck so it's not something you see often. I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the damage to the floyd cavity?  That's a bummer.  Probably won't effect anything and it will not be visible once the bridge is installed but that's certainly a strange way to ship the guitar and I'd be a bit pissed myself. 
The Floyd cavity damage does not seem to be loose, just damaged as best I can tell.  But I am a litle concern some piece could loosen up later. A crack I can't see.

Spoke to the salesman at Sam Ash. He claimed they did not open or repack the box. This is my first Jackson. I've bought several Fenders (same company) as well as several Ibanez & others  and find it very hard to believe the factory packed it with the springs loose in the box and the Floyd basically dangling.
I don't see any damage to the cavity, just flaking black paint. 

That line on the neck is normal. You're seeing the lighter clear coat over the neck, while the rest of the neck is oil-finished and a bit darker.

I don't know what the salesperson told you, but if you're not happy they should be able to send you another one. 
dthmtl3 
Quote by dthmtl3
I don't see any damage to the cavity, just flaking black paint. 

It definitely gouged into the wood. Not just paint. 

The salesman is referring it to Fender to see what they want to do. 
It would be very unusual if Fender supplies the guitar with the springs not even being installed in the back of the Floyd. I've never come across a single manufacturer that has ever done that on a brand new guitar. That includes Fender.

The damage doesn't look like anything substantial or would affect the functionality of the guitar, but I'd still return it.

The line you're seeing on the transition between the neck and the body is nothing to worry about. Oil finishes slightly darken wood, so the lighter area you're seeing is the area where the wood was clearcoated.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I've never ordered from Sam Ash, I get all my NEW guitars from Sweetwater.  I've purchased two SL2s and two Dinky's from the PRO line.  First off, welcome to Indonesian QC, seriously, I not longer own either of my Indo SL2s and good riddance.

All 4 came in their Jackson boxes, opened to be inspected by a Sweetwater employee, and shipped out.  All 4 came set up from the factory ready to play, I'm thinking it's something Sam Ash did as far as the springs.  On the neck, it looks like that's where the clear coat ends for the paint and obviously the neck is just oiled.  Not an oversight you would most likely see on a USA, but acceptable for a PRO line.  The bridge just looks like it was hitting due to it being loose and knocked some paint off.  Doesn't look like it did any actual damage to the wood.

Personally, I would still send them the photo of the trem cavity and complain.  You just paid X amount of $ on it, you shouldn't have to accept anything like that.
Last edited by Xander_X at Apr 26, 2017,
Quote by Xander_X
I've never ordered from Sam Ash, I get all my NEW guitars from Sweetwater.  I've purchased two SL2s and two Dinky's from the PRO line.  First off, welcome to Indonesian QC, seriously, I not longer own either of my Indo SL2s and good riddance.

All 4 came in their Jackson boxes, opened to be inspected by a Sweetwater employee, and shipped out.  All 4 came set up from the factory ready to play, I'm thinking it's something Sam Ash did as far as the springs. 

Its not just Sam Ash to be clear. I had a bass from Sweetwater. Supposed 55 point inspection with the signed card to prove it. Had two frets unseated and the setup was all off. I have had the best luck (maybe its luck more than the dealer) with The Music Store in Cologne, Germany. I'm in the states, so sometimes its weird ordering from across the pond though its also because they can get me Ibanez Prestiges &  J.Customs not available here. 

I have an Indo Ibanez Jem77P that is flawless and an Indo G&L Tribute that I love. Think Indonesian factories can produce quality instruments but cost cutting measures are the real problem. Leo Fender originally hired local workers who knew nothing about guitars let alone building. Some never built anything before working there. Yet classic guitars.

I also do not believe a factory would have shipped this guitar without the springs. Either Sam Ash was doing something or its a customer return and the customer took the springs off for something and Sam Ash never checked it.
I could tell the box had been opened and resealed so the question is who opened & resealed it? 
That's disappointing about the Floyd. . . . Maybe if they wanted to give you a good discount to make it worth your troubles.  Other than that I'd send it back.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Maybe if they wanted to give you a good discount to make it worth your troubles.  Other than that I'd send it back.  

I got a discount off of MAP pricing when I ordered it. Maybe that was an indicator of something?
Unfortunately that is a risk of ordering online, I prefer to have my hands on a guitar before I buy it although I understand that is not always possible. Getting to try a guitar a music store gives tyou the opportunity to play and inspect the guitars for mechanical, electrical and assemly or finish flaws. Obviously this is not possible when ordering online so you just need to be clear on the return policy.

If I received a guitar like this I'd return it for a another one even if the damage is minimal you have to completely set it up from scratch or pay a tech to do it, you can expect to have to make minor adjustments to a Floyd equipped guitar that is ordered online and shipped to you maybe some minor spring adjustments and tuning but you should not have to completely install the damn tremolo yourself, send it back and make them give you another.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 27, 2017,
Quote by webjunk

I have an Indo Ibanez Jem77P that is flawless and an Indo G&L Tribute that I love. Think Indonesian factories can produce quality instruments but cost cutting measures are the real problem. Leo Fender originally hired local workers who knew nothing about guitars let alone building. Some never built anything before working there. Yet classic guitars.

I agree, I was more alluding to the Indo Jackson's, that I have issues with.  The Ibanez Premiums (Indo made) are amazing quality guitars.
Quote by Xander_X
I agree, I was more alluding to the Indo Jackson's, that I have issues with.  The Ibanez Premiums (Indo made) are amazing quality guitars.

This is my first Jackson. That is what bothers me more as my other Indo instruments have been great. 

And worse, Sam Ash I can't get any further response from. Sent them pictures & description as they asked, which they said they would forward to Fender. I wrote to them to check status and see if they need anything else but no reply. Was considering a PRS from them (and need some studio gear) but guess I'll go back to my other dealers. No wonder more gear is bought from Amazon these days than music retailers.