Page 1 of 3
Sorry for that title, but that's what came to my mind.

I was looking through the 7-string section of my favourite music store, "eye-shopping" aka staring longingly, and I noticed that pretty much all of these guitars are tailored towards metal musicians, or rather, what you expect of a metal musician - humbuckers, black from bridge to headstock, no pickguard. Some PRS-like veneer top at best.

So I wondered, are there any 7-string guitars that look and feel like normal guitars? Like, "usual" colours (red, green, sunburst), with pickguards that are not black, without these horrible coloured matched flame tops, and perhaps even with singlecoils (blasphemy, I know). I mean, there's place for a 7-string outside metal, and personally, all these pitch-black baseball bats turned guitars look pretty ugly to me (worse if they got fanned frets).

I'm curious, is there no market for 7-strings outside metal and related genres? I was thinking, perhaps a sunburst HSS strat would be nice as a 7-string. I wouldn't be able to afford one anyway, but can somebody tell me whether there even is such a thing?
Last edited by HashtagMC at Apr 26, 2017,
Cool, that's the very first seven string I've seen that wouldn't give a priest a heart attack, so to speak. "Affordable", however, seems to lie in the eye (or wallet) of the beholder and potential buyer.
Kiesel for sure fits the bill.
http://www.kieselguitars.com/customshop/

There are a couple models available as 7-strings, and sinc you have your choice of their many finishes and pickup configuration, you could probably get something with HSS pickups in a sunburst.

Agile would be another option, I bet.
http://www.rondomusic.com/7string.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Well, all these look rather metal-ish too, especially danny's suggestions. Like I said, purely hypothetical and out of curiosity (can't and won't buy one, broke and all money planned for an amp), but it's pretty fascinating how much most of these guitars are marketed towards the heavier genres. The only exception I know would be Rob Scallon's 8-string signature model - bulkier than a strat, but at least in natural finish. But from what I've seen, bolt-on neck sunburst strats or les pauls with seven strings, normal control scheme and a pickguard seem to be a rare breed indeed.
first of all pick guards are gross.
second, if you don't love fan frets i hope you love a gnarled stump for a hand when that tendinitis hits.

plus did you even look at kiesel's website...they can make you a guitar in any finish you want.

agile will also make you one

Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Pickguards are the most beautiful thing, because you can put stickers on them. Rule of thumb: A guitar that doesn't have a pickguard (PRS, ESP) is probably too expensive to put stickers on it. Guitars with a pickguard = free for stickers.

To illustrate what I mean, I just did a quick mockup:

Quote by HashtagMC
Pickguards are the most beautiful thing, because you can put stickers on them. Rule of thumb: A guitar that doesn't have a pickguard (PRS, ESP) is probably too expensive to put stickers on it. Guitars with a pickguard = free for stickers.

To illustrate what I mean, I just did a quick mockup:

agile will make one for you. they will not judge you. i've seen a couple of 7 string strat agiles with pickguards.

squire also made one at one point. you'll have to look for a used one though.

and i'm just messing around pick guards are sweet. although what does price have to do with anything. the pick guard is going to cost like 10 bucks no matter what.

Last edited by AcousticMirror at Apr 26, 2017,
Well, what I mean is, "expensive" guitars like PRS, ESP, Jackson, and whatever all their names are, they usually come without a pickguard but instead a matched whatever top, while "cheap" ones like HHS Squier Strats come with a pickguard. So, guitars without a pickguard are usually too expensive to put stickers on them.

So, I conclude, custom built 7-strings are available in whatever shape the buyer's wallet allows, but "off the shelf", they seem to be rare in "normal" forms. Interesting. That Squier looks lovely, though. I might actually keep that in mind should I ever get to buy a second guitar.

Oh, and some people didn't get the "I'm not looking to buy (because I'm broke and in high school), I'm curious"-memo.
Quote by HashtagMC
Well, what I mean is, "expensive" guitars like PRS, ESP, Jackson, and whatever all their names are, they usually come without a pickguard but instead a matched whatever top, while "cheap" ones like HHS Squier Strats come with a pickguard. So, guitars without a pickguard are usually too expensive to put stickers on them.

So, I conclude, custom built 7-strings are available in whatever shape the buyer's wallet allows, but "off the shelf", they seem to be rare in "normal" forms. Interesting. That Squier looks lovely, though. I might actually keep that in mind should I ever get to buy a second guitar.

Oh, and some people didn't get the "I'm not looking to buy (because I'm broke and in high school), I'm curious"-memo.

well no because there just isn't going to be that much demand for a stratocaster 7 string. Prs only makes one 7 string as well. But agile is cheap and will make you whatever you want. For some reason 7 string telecasters with pick guards are a lot more common then stratocasters.

at any rate expensive guitars can have pickguards too. my anderson up there retailed for 3500 dollars.
Quote by AcousticMirror
well no because there just isn't going to be that much demand for a stratocaster 7 string. Prs only makes one 7 string as well. But agile is cheap and will make you whatever you want. For some reason 7 string telecasters with pick guards are a lot more common then stratocasters.

at any rate expensive guitars can have pickguards too. my anderson up there retailed for 3500 dollars.

For a lot of people, Teles must have a pickguard.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by HashtagMC
Well, all these look rather metal-ish too, especially danny's suggestions. Like I said, purely hypothetical and out of curiosity (can't and won't buy one, broke and all money planned for an amp), but it's pretty fascinating how much most of these guitars are marketed towards the heavier genres. The only exception I know would be Rob Scallon's 8-string signature model - bulkier than a strat, but at least in natural finish. But from what I've seen, bolt-on neck sunburst strats or les pauls with seven strings, normal control scheme and a pickguard seem to be a rare breed indeed.

Kiesel & Agile do market to metalheads a lot, but both give buyers a LOT of options for finishes and pickup options, including the very traditional.

Control schemes...maybe not.

Quote by AcousticMirror
agile will make one for you. they will not judge you. i've seen a couple of 7 string strat agiles with pickguards.

squire also made one at one point. you'll have to look for a used one though.

and i'm just messing around pick guards are sweet. although what does price have to do with anything. the pick guard is going to cost like 10 bucks no matter what.

Sweet guitar even with the 25.5" scale!

You won't believe how much I paid for it.

Also, these Schecters don't look too metal:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, hollow 7s aren't super rare. Some jazz guys like the extra chord possibilities.

Ibanez AFJ957

Schecter Jazz 7

Eastman Jazz Elite 16-7

Benedetto 16-B
Quote by HashtagMC
Pickguards are the most beautiful thing, because you can put stickers on them. 

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. 
Quote by HashtagMC
I mean, there's place for a 7-string outside metal, and personally, all these pitch-black baseball bats turned guitars look pretty ugly to me (worse if they got fanned frets).

Wait -- you're calling black guitars and fan fret guitars ugly and you're planning to put stickers on yours.  You're 13, aren't you. 
In any case, it's about the stickers and not about actually playing the guitar, right? 
Im sorry for this but this was the first forum i saw. How do you create a new thread? I know you all hate me now but please someone tell me
Country music sucks
Quote by CENSORED.
Im sorry for this but this was the first forum i saw. How do you create a new thread? I know you all hate me now but please someone tell me

Assuming you've got the access (and not in n00b jail), it should be in the top left of whichever forum  you're in.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by dspellman
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. 

Stickers are nice to cover up blemishes, particularly on plain guitars on the cheap-end of the spectrum. I don't know if I'd do it with everything though. It's a personal thing, and what I've done on some of my used guitars. I don't think I'd be doing it on a $5000 Gibson--either leave it or send it off to a luthier to fix that shit. 
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer

The fancy terps and fanned ferts

Gotta admire the fender and Gibson marketing machine.
Gotta be why there's so little actual cool builders in the us compared to the rest of the world.
CENSORED.

Like bjgrifter said, look at the top left of the forum's screen. You should see a lozenge-shaped button that says "Create Thread" very near to the forum's name. Welcome to UG!

Quote by GuitarHawk99
This is quite mild, here you go. No need for stickers either, it's got some decals.

Disqualified for having 8 strings.
Quote by AcousticMirror

Gotta admire the fender and Gibson marketing machine.
Gotta be why there's so little actual cool builders in the us compared to the rest of the world.

Wait, seriously? I can do a twirl here in SoCal and smack quite a few, including James Tyler, GMW, Tom Anderson, Suhr, Kiesel, Line 6, Trussart, Taylor and more. 
Quote by dspellman
Wait, seriously? I can do a twirl here in SoCal and smack quite a few, including James Tyler, GMW, Tom Anderson, Suhr, Kiesel, Line 6, Trussart, Taylor and more. 

I know some nifty ones in Texas, Illinois, New York and several other states.

'Course, it depends on your definition of "cool"...

Quote by dspellman

kiesel only started expanding their seven string and headless options this year after jeff took over. Suhr will not build you a 7 string tele or any scale longer then 25.5 Anderson put out their first 24 fret guitar a few years ago. The variax series just got their first 27 inch guitar and you can't even buy it yet. Lots of good builders in the states...but on a whole a lot more conservative then europe. 
Wait -- you're calling black guitars and fan fret guitars ugly and you're planning to put stickers on yours.  You're 13, aren't you. 
In any case, it's about the stickers and not about actually playing the guitar, right? 

Well, actually... no. First of all, I'm 18. Second, I'm not calling black guitars ugly, I just don't like the whole "I'm so much more metal than thou"-vibe they're giving off.

Third... I like stickers. I know, for some people this is blasphemy, but with my budget, we're talking about putting stickers on 90-to-100-bucks SG and P-Bass copies, I think even you can't object to that.

So it is about playing the guitar. I'd love to play a 7 one day, because it's just annoying to change between E standard and Drop C every other song

dspellman that guitar, or rather, it's body and finish style (that texture and transparent "glassy" color) is exactly what I mean (and don't like) with matched-flame-whatever-tops.
Last edited by HashtagMC at Apr 27, 2017,
https://reverb.com/item/4356325-gibson-les-paul-standard-limited-edition-usa-7-string-amber-cherry-sunburst-price-lowered?gclid=CJ77jNnbxNMCFdBWDQods8kAfg&pla=1

7 string and ERG's are utilized most often in metal music of some form so...

...since that is where the demand is highest manufacturers tend to cater to that demographic that is just how it is if you really want a 7 that does not look "too metal" then you may have to go with Rondo/Agile or Kiesel's semi custom offerings. If your on a budget then Agile will likely be cheaper but will still be more than their production line offerings.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by HashtagMC
Well, actually... no. First of all, I'm 18. Second, I'm not calling black guitars ugly, I just don't like the whole "I'm so much more metal than thou"-vibe they're giving off.

Third... I like stickers. I know, for some people this is blasphemy, but with my budget, we're talking about putting stickers on 90-to-100-bucks SG and P-Bass copies, I think even you can't object to that.

So it is about playing the guitar. I'd love to play a 7 one day, because it's just annoying to change between E standard and Drop C every other song

dspellman that guitar, or rather, it's body and finish style (that texture and transparent "glassy" color) is exactly what I mean (and don't like) with matched-flame-whatever-tops.

I'm sort of with you on black guitars -- it's difficult to find NON black guitars in a lot of models, and I've ended up with way more black guitars than I really cared to, in part because the guitar was a good piece but the color choices were limited. Most guitars don't give off much of a "vibe" to me, but there are some whose intentions were obvious. For example, I have a cheap Squier bass that has a skull and crossbones graphic (and 12-fret inlay!). Sorta fun to take that to the local P&W gig on a Sunday. 

One of my guitar heros (Jennifer Batten) has stickers on her guitar. Her credentials are unmatched, so I really can't object. Not my cuppa tea.

I have Variax guitars (JTV89Fs) for most of the alternative tuning stuff. With a Variax, you can change the tuning that's coming out of the amp/headphones without changing the string tension on the guitar, and you have the option of tuning any string up or down an octave. I'm too lazy to retune the guitars and deal with floppy strings, and there's no way I'm going to have a stack of guitars in different tunings. The Variax guitars just make so much more sense. 

The AL727 is available in a lot of different colors and finishes. I'm not sure what you object to in the body of the guitar; it's pretty much standard Les Paul size and shape. I'm honestly WAY less concerned about appearance than you are, and this was available at a very cheap price, used.  

I'm not sure what you're really thinking is "cool" in a guitar shape/color; there's no accounting for taste (or the lack of it). Judging from the previous posts, it would seem to be you're mostly into flat (plank) guitars in car colors, preferably strats with lots of pickguard area (and the occasional SG?). You might provide some clarity there. 

There's also the question; why is this thread here, since you really seem to have no intentions about buying a guitar anytime soon, or did I misread? And are you looking just for cheap guitars?
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 27, 2017,
Quote by dspellman
I'm sort of with you on black guitars -- it's difficult to find NON black guitars in a lot of models, and I've ended up with way more black guitars than I really cared to, in part because the guitar was a good piece but the color choices were limited. Most guitars don't give off much of a "vibe" to me, but there are some whose intentions were obvious. For example, I have a cheap Squier bass that has a skull and crossbones graphic (and 12-fret inlay!). Sorta fun to take that to the local P&W gig on a Sunday. 

One of my guitar heros (Jennifer Batten) has stickers on her guitar. Her credentials are unmatched, so I really can't object. Not my cuppa tea.

I have Variax guitars (JTV89Fs) for most of the alternative tuning stuff. With a Variax, you can change the tuning that's coming out of the amp/headphones without changing the string tension on the guitar, and you have the option of tuning any string up or down an octave. I'm too lazy to retune the guitars and deal with floppy strings, and there's no way I'm going to have a stack of guitars in different tunings. The Variax guitars just make so much more sense. 

The AL727 is available in a lot of different colors and finishes. I'm not sure what you object to in the body of the guitar; it's pretty much standard Les Paul size and shape. I'm honestly WAY less concerned about appearance than you are, and this was available at a very cheap price, used.  

I'm not sure what you're really thinking is "cool" in a guitar shape/color; there's no accounting for taste (or the lack of it). Judging from the previous posts, it would seem to be you're mostly into flat (plank) guitars in car colors, preferably strats with lots of pickguard area (and the occasional SG?). You might provide some clarity there. 

There's also the question; why is this thread here, since you really seem to have no intentions about buying a guitar anytime soon, or did I misread? And are you looking just for cheap guitars?

Phew. Text wall of doom.

First of all, Variax... well, now it's my turn to say "not my cup of tea". That'd feel like cheating to me. I'd rather have one guitar in standard or D flat, and one in Drop whatever.

I've no problem with the Les Paul shape (except for the weight), it's the finish. You're right about my taste though - no carved top, but car colours and pickguard is what I like. I play an SG, and I'm considering to get a Mustang (copy?) in the far future. Strats, Telecaster, SG & Mustang/Jaguar are the ones I like, or - when it's about metal music and appearance - non-glossy black or dark gray Explorer or V. (PS Edit: TV Yellow Les Paul Junior Double Cut is another favourite of mine).

I don't think I care too much about the appearance, but all those posh-looking guitars with colourful, translucent veneer/top finishes like the AL727 look way too fancy for me - those look like they belong to test-tube musicians bred by the music industry. They look like sell-out. I like and play some metal(core), but the mindset is definitely more punk (someone call me poseur!) and anti-fancy. I know, teenage emo-rebel-phase or so. Sue me

Well, originally I started the thread because I was curious why all the 7-strings are black, but since most of the people didn't see that I'm not looking to buy one, it turned into a "buy this or that model" thread.

And yeah, cheap guitars - highschoolers with 15 bucks a month don't have that much choice. Right now, even a Squier Bullet Strat is half a year of saving up away. Plus, I borrowed money to get tickets to a show as long as there still were tickets, plus all pocket money of the next year is planned for an amp so I can get a band instead of being a bedroom player.
Last edited by HashtagMC at Apr 27, 2017,
but we showed you tons of seven strings that aren't like that?

still confused.

can't get any less fancy
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Apr 27, 2017,
flat top, car colours, pickguard, no finish fancier than fender sunburst. A headstock that is not twisted on some weird way, and a "standard" body shape, not something that looks like a warped tele or strat. Yet to see that, apparently. The one T00DEEPBLUE suggested was the only one that matched those criteria (aside from the finish):

That's probably because you just looked at pictures, not options. Been saying this since post #4.

With Kiesel- at least when they were Carvin- you have dozens of finish options, including clear ones that show the wood. And pickguard or nor pickguard. They also have a few headstock options.

Agile does much the same.

Quote by HashtagMC
flat top, car colours, pickguard, no finish fancier than fender sunburst. A headstock that is not twisted on some weird way, and a "standard" body shape, not something that looks like a warped tele or strat. Yet to see that, apparently. The one T00DEEPBLUE suggested was the only one that matched those criteria (aside from the finish):

ya man painting a guitar gold with shiny gold hardware isn't fancy at all.
Quote by AcousticMirror
ya man painting a guitar gold with shiny gold hardware isn't fancy at all.

Quote by HashtagMC
The one T00DEEPBLUE suggested was the only one that matched those criteria (aside from the finish)

^^
Page 1 of 3