My dad just bought a bass yesterday, and so I taught him scales and so he practiced them a lot last night, and I mostly play guitar (but know how to play bass, and have gotten a lot more practice now that we have one in the house ). Anyways, he is obviously a beginner because he started yesterday, but I'm intermediate (?) at guitar. I was wondering if there were any good songs that are fun on both instruments. So far we know of Come Together, and will eventually do Money after he gets good. We like classic rock music, or at least that's my favorite. He seems to have gotten obsessed with RHCP recently because of Flea, so I'll have to look into that, maybe Callifornication. Any suggestions?
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
Seven nation army is a classic, also come as you are and sunshine of your love could work.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Seven nation army is a classic, also come as you are and sunshine of your love could work.

Thanks! I didn't see the bass part for SNA, but the other two look great! Maybe it was just that I went to Songster, which usually has all the guitar, bass, and drum parts. I'll just look for one (which probably won't be hard).
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

Techinally, SNA doesn't have a bass part since it's played on a downpitched guitar originally. But a lot of people still consider it a bassline.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
pretty much any music you both enjoy should be easy enough to learn. find music you like, and learn as much of it as possible by ear, then teach him his parts. that way you're both getting a lot out of the experience. each song should take a pretty significant amount of time to nail - much longer than reading a tab and playing it back - but you get faster as you develop the muscles and good habits that come with aural learning

plus, teaching someone else is one of the most effective ways to learn for yourself
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
pretty much any music you both enjoy should be easy enough to learn. find music you like, and learn as much of it as possible by ear, then teach him his parts. that way you're both getting a lot out of the experience. each song should take a pretty significant amount of time to nail - much longer than reading a tab and playing it back - but you get faster as you develop the muscles and good habits that come with aural learning

plus, teaching someone else is one of the most effective ways to learn for yourself

That's a really good point. I'll try doing that to at least one song at some point soon.

If you like rage against the machine, a lot of the basslines mimic the guitar so they create a cool octave sound when played together, plus they aren't overly difficult either.
AC/DC has a lot of easy bass lines. 
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Random3
Comfortably Numb has a much easier bass part than Money so maybe check that.

Also I seem to recall Universally Speaking by the Chillis to be fairly easy.

That's good to know. The opening riff to Money isn't too hard to me, but at the same time, bass is, like, my fifth instrument. I can't play bass and guitar simultaneously. He just needs some practice, he's been working on it slowly and speeding it up. I'll check out Cumfortably Numb and maybe Universaly Speaking.

Quote by gogiregion
My dad just bought a bass yesterday, and so I taught him scales and so he practiced them a lot last night, and I mostly play guitar (but know how to play bass, and have gotten a lot more practice now that we have one in the house ). Anyways, he is obviously a beginner because he started yesterday, but I'm intermediate (?) at guitar. I was wondering if there were any good songs that are fun on both instruments. So far we know of Come Together, and will eventually do Money after he gets good. We like classic rock music, or at least that's my favorite. He seems to have gotten obsessed with RHCP recently because of Flea, so I'll have to look into that, maybe Callifornication. Any suggestions?

A great beginner band is Black Sabbath Paranoid album - Iron man, Paranoid  - Planet Caravan - really accessible for a beginner  and fun to play. 

Born under a Bad sign - the Hendrix instrumental version has a great fun bass line - good tune for you to jam on. Listen to Albert King version for reference. 
Last edited by reverb66 at Apr 27, 2017,
Quote by reverb66
A great beginner band is Black Sabbath Paranoid album - Iron man, Paranoid  - Planet Caravan - really accessible for a beginner  and fun to play. 

Born under a Bad sign - the Hendrix instrumental version has a great fun bass line - good tune for you to jam on. Listen to Albert King version for reference. 

Paranoid is one of the best albums ever. Definitely in the top 10. I thought it didn't have a bass part, though. I'll check later.

Most_Triumphant Yep, gotta go with AC/DC (especially Bon Scott-era) as well! The bass line is classic foundation-of-the-band playing and their music typically has a "swing" feel. I'd recommend getting a used drum machine (Boss DR-550 or similar - under $100) or drum tracks (usually FREE!) for the computer and get him to play "in the pocket" with the drummer. That's the way I was taught to start on bass - pay more attention to the drums than anything else when playing. 

Also, maybe stop by a Hobby Lobby or MIchael's (assuming you are in USA) and get "peel and stick" numbers from the scrapbook section and mark the 3, 5, 7, 9 and 12th frets. I usually put them just under the side (edge) marker on the neck. Easy to see from his playing perspective. And they peel off without leaving much residue; GooGone works wonders. It helps to reference the frets until Pop gets the hang of it. If you REALLY want to get carried away, buy the neon multi-colored bass strings so that you can shout out changes during the songs with a color and number. Eventually, he should get used to the string and fret positions without the teaching aids. But it makes the beginning a little easier to say "Red 5" instead of "D... um... fifth fret on the 3rd string... no, third from bottom... nevermind, we're going to E now... top string open... open... don't fret anything... okay, stop." Ha!  

If he is more of a visual learner, the Guitar Pro software (about $50) will use tab from this site and and has a "instrument panel" view that shows the neck lighting up with dots for each note that is played. Since most music has repeating patterns, especially for bass, that mightr help him to "see" what he should be playing. Works well for me... I get blurry-eyed looking at tab - seems like torture to me. Really slow. Using the instrument panel view makes it a snap. When showing someone how to play a song, even if you're only doing a single note on a single string, you typically have all four fingers hovering over the note and it makes it kind of hard to tell what is doing what. The Guitar Pro feature greatly simplfies the visual element. 

Have fun! I've been teaching a neighbor girl how to play and was able to con her mom into joining us on bass for AC/DC's "Live Wire." They had a blast playing together! Mom had never touched a guitar until that moment! Reminds me: make sure you explain the "touch" needed to fret the note - only enough to make the note sound. Mom had a death grip on the B note and her finger hurt for hours! Ha! 
Last edited by Guitarus Rex at May 1, 2017,
Quote by gogiregion

the first song i learned on bass is soul to squeeze.
give that a try.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
rhcp is perfect fit because of the bassist being a lazy fuck and the guitarist a super shredder. not
Jamie Hendriks, John Pagey, Marcus Pflocker, Johnnie Satrani, Steven Via & Les Gomry all suck donkey balls.