Hi guys,

I have an old strat copy, a Marshall Rocket Special to be precise, it has a HSS configuration and a 21 fret rosewood fretboard. The humbucker sounds very good and it is also fun an easy to play. I’ve had it since 1999, so it has a few dents and marks that give it some attitude, but not the road worn look. I’ve played with it live and in several garage practices, so I’m not thinking about selling it.

However, I’m contemplating about changing the neck for two reasons:

1.- Since it’s quite old and has been played a lot, the frets are really worn out, showing some dents right bellow the strings.
2.- I like the look, feel and sound of a maple fingerboard better and most of the times I need the 22nd fret.

Therefore, I’m looking at 22 maple Fender(ish) necks on sale.

There are a LOT of options out there. From the original Stratocaster necks ($400-$600), throught the mighty mite or göldo necks ($100-$200) and the Chinese? Andoer or Kmise necks ($20-$50).

Since my guitar costed about $250 when I bought it, and that is with a Marshall G15RCD amp, cable, gig bag, tuner and the rest of the starter pack. Buying an original Fender neck is out of the question, especially because for that price I could buy a new HSS MIM Stratocaster. The Mighty Mite and Göldo seem also a bit pricey, and for that price I could buy a Squier Strat. More important, I don't want another guitar, I want to keep mine and upgrade/repair it.

So I’m leaning towards the Andoer neck, I found one on amazon (https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00LHPD4BO/) with good reviews. So I figured, my guitar is “Made in China”, most probable with Chinese quality components, so this neck should have similar standards and its only $40.
Do you have any experience in replacing the neck of a guitar? What would you advise me to get?

Cheers,

Walter

P.S. If you live in Zürich and want to get together and jam, send me a PM.
Is scale length also important here? I have no idea but someone else may be able to clarify for both of us. Sounds like really you just want a maple neck though - economically speaking it may be better to spend more once than be diaappointed and upgrade again  - but I have no idea about the necks you are looking at so I won't say if there is any noticable difference between $40 and $400 - YMMV I guess
Quote by hydreliox
Is scale length also important here? I have no idea but someone else may be able to clarify for both of us. 

Presumably you want the same scale as the guitar you have now. There ARE conversion necks out there for longer and shorter scales (Warmoth has some), but a scale change isn't required if all you're doing is adding a fret at the top end. The fretboard will cantilever a bit more over the pickguard. In fact, there are 24 fret necks out there, but some don't get along with the neck pickup very well (depending on its placement in the pickguard) and the upper frets are mostly buried in the body. 
Quote by waltervt
Hi guys,

I have an old strat copy, a Marshall Rocket Special to be precise, it has a HSS configuration and a 21 fret rosewood fretboard. 

There's no guarantee that a replacement neck will fit that guitar. 

The truth is that necks aren't always interchangeable across brands; neck pockets can vary considerably and you can end up with a guitar that's impossible to tune. Honestly, I'd look for a different guitar if that 22nd fret is really important to you. 
Like Ren said, make sure you know the specs/measurements  that will work for your guitar. Check out MusiKraft. Picked up a replacement neck for my Charvel a while ago. Turned out great, and they have some great mod options. Got mine with ss frets, baked birdseye maple etc. Strat necks start at $195 and go up based on available options. Better than Warmoth imo. Whatever neck you get, don't get something with predrilled mounting holes, you'll have to fill the holes and redrill anyways. Good luck. 
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for all your comments. I have measured my guitar and looked at the replacements and the heels are strat standard dimensions, so I'm sure that they will fit, the scale length is also the same. It is true that I want the 22nd fret and a maple fingerboard, but more important is that the frets are worn and the guitar buzzes while playing. So I NEED a new neck (or frets) and since I'm changing I'll go for something different.

The current value of the guitar is about $200, so a $150+ dollar neck is not an option. I want to know if you've had any experience with those import necks and if they're worththe money.

Thanks again!
Quote by waltervt
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for all your comments. I have measured my guitar and looked at the replacements and the heels are strat standard dimensions, so I'm sure that they will fit, the scale length is also the same. It is true that I want the 22nd fret and a maple fingerboard, but more important is that the frets are worn and the guitar buzzes while playing. So I NEED a new neck (or frets) and since I'm changing I'll go for something different.

The current value of the guitar is about $200, so a $150+ dollar neck is not an option. I want to know if you've had any experience with those import necks and if they're worththe money.

Thanks again!

In that case look into getting a refret but it may also be cost prohibitive you may be able to have a tech file/level the frets if there is enough heigth left to do that if not it may be time retire the old gal and save up for a new guitar, don't put money into a guitar that won't have the resaell value and buying a $50 neck will be a crap shoot at best.

There are plenty of used guitars out there for low prices that will be affordable yet offer better quality than a cheapo new one.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I got an XGP neck from guitarfetish and was super happy with it. $65-70 out the door IIRC. It wasn't perfect, (the radius is 13" when it was stated to be 12") but for that price for my no-name strat copy it is perfect. Go check them out. Make sure you have all the dimensions and drill bits you will need. I bored out the tuner holes on mine to fit the tuners I had and it went fine. Its a bit of work and nail-biting when drilling but worth it. (To me anyway.)
 Ok. The neck arrived and it's going back the way it came...

It had some scratches and dents on the fretboard, one of the tuner holes had some broken edges, it had a huge dent on the back of the headstock which was badly covered, the truss rod was not aligned with he truss rod access and it was covered by wood splinters, and the nut was very thin and looked bad, which made think if it was not possible to install a comercial TUSQ nut there (for half the price of the neck).

I'll keep the current neck and play the guitar until it's time for her to retire. Then, I'll buy a new strat with better specs or seriously consider investing in a proper neck. My advise, stay away from cheap chinese necks!

Thanks again guys! 

at that price i think mighty mite is your only option aside the shot in the dark used "fender strat" neck you can find.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.