Hi, I am a rock player. In december I started playing very fast stuff in the electric guitar that demanded a lot of use of the left hand pinky finger. I wasn´t used to playing this fast. So one day I practiced a very fast exercise for 5 hours and my pinky started hurting a lot. I stopped playing for 2 weeks and the pain went away. I went to the doctor and said that my tendon was irritated from playing. From december to march my finger hurt ocassionally with ocassional little pain. One day I played for ten hours without rest and my finger started to hurt a lot more so I went to the doctor again and told me to take it easy, that the collateral ligaments of my pinky finger were irritated. I rested for about a week after this and then started playing again fast stuff for 45 minutes daily and my finger started to hurt again. I am starting to take glucosamine. Maybe I need some more rest?. Anyone had a similiar injury?, In how much time did it went away?
What's happening now is mostly likely not the result of an injury, at least not yet.  It's probably due to improper technique.  However, that can cause a serious injury like a RSI if it's not fixed.  One of many things could be causing it.  Excess tension, bad hand position, the angle of the guitar, etc.  If you could send a picture or video, we'd hopefully be able to identify the problem and tell you how to solve it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I had something similar, except it was mainly my neck and back, and I was practicing for hours on end. And my pinky was hurting because of excessive amounts of movement and force. I reeled my practice hours back to just one hour at a time, started playing in a classical style position, and its been like gravy every since. It surprised me how much pain a flying pinky can cause, I've been working on taming it, and have been somewhat successful so far and that has made a world of difference as well.
Flying in a blue dream
99% the cause of your pain is due to the fact that you practiced an exercise stressful on the pinkie for 5 hours.

The solution is quite simple - balance your practicing. Don't spend 5 hrs doing the same motions, stop and practice the right hand, music theory, aural training, scales and chords or learning the notes on the fretboard. When your hand has enough rest, go back to the physically demanding stuff.

As a side note, many people (including myself, until I got advice from a great teacher) think that playing fast is about how much strength you get in your fingers. In reality that's only a small part of it. If you focus on good positioning and economy of movement, you'll learn to play fast much quicker with less stress. How efficient each movement is, is of more importance than how fast your movements are.
Don't practice SO long for technique
3 hours more than enough for technique 
Take rests between every 20-30 min so that your hands and mind not get exhausted and you not hurt yourself 
You also could practice theory, ears, composing etc if have a lot of time
If you feel pain - Stop and do tithing else for a while
There is plenty activities that will develop you musical abilities
1) Work on relaxing the outside of your left hand. This starts by letting go of tension up at the shoulder

2) Do regular technique exercises to maintain relaxation

3) Have a regular warm up routine that you do most days

And in general look at your left hand technique all around. Stay on your fingertips, use proper hammer/pull technique, etc. Many videos on youtube for this kind of thing.

If you don't play guitar on a regular basis - like at least an hour 5 days a week - you're going to risk injury any time you have a marathon session. You'd do much better to spread your practice hours throughout the week. That not only helps prevent injury, but results in greater improvement as you practice more frequently and without hitting the productivity/learning wall.
Last edited by cdgraves at Apr 28, 2017,