So i'm using this old behringer that i received as a gift when i was a kid like 10 years ago i never touched it or barely it seems to be in decent shape still except that i lost the whammy bar ... anyways i recently started teaching myself how to play for the last 6 months or so using online resources. I'm pretty new at guitar but it always has been an instrument that i wanted to play and after a decade of piano i'm am more determined than ever.

So i'm looking for a fresh start with a new guitar , i would mostly like to play hard rock / metal i only have around 500-600$  for a new guitar unfortunately preferably one with a whammy bar.

So what guitar would you recommend me ?

Thanks a lot  -
Whammy bars of any kind drive up prices, unfortunately. And inexpensive tremolos tend to not hold tuning all that well.

However, you might be able to get a replacement bar for your current guitar. If you can, do so, and find yourself a good used hardtail guitar.

But if you can't find a bar, or REALLY want that trem, a used Ibanez would be a good option. I'd think LTDs would also be worth checking out.

Scour Reverb.com for deals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Some are. Ditto Charvels. But sadly, I don't know which ones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

^^ Most of the decent brands are good once you get over a certain price point... the trick is figuring out which ones start to get good at the cheapest price point where you are

Word on the net is that the new Mexican-made Jacksons and Charvels are actually pretty good, though I haven't tried them yet (the older Japanese-made ones were great!). So that's the bolt-on Pro Series with Jackson (kind of counterintuitively, the more expensive neck-thrus aren't made in Mexico, I guess the factory just isn't really set up to make neck thrus), and the bolt on Charvel Pro Mods. They should have reasonably good tremolos, too, the Floyd Rose 1000 series (first digit in the trem number denotes what colour the trem is, it's not a quality thing), which are more or less Korean-made Original Floyd Roses, just with a few corners cut on the QC. But decent trems, and supposedly a direct swap for the German-made Floyd Rose Original.

Probably wait until someone else who's tried them chips in, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you can find a good used Japanese made Jackson they are for the most part great guitars depending on the model pickups may need replacing eventually, they are readily available and it is a buyers market for sure, the Jackson licenesed Floyds are not stellar but they are not terrible either (contrary to what some will say), I have 6 MIJ Jacksons as well as an '89 Charvel Fusion Custom and they are all great guitars and I paid on average $300-$350 for them with the cheapest being $175 the highest $500 and they are all in near mint condition.

For $300-$350 for a Japanese Jackson you can put a real Floyd on it for another $200 and have a $500 guitar that will easily hang with a guitar in the $1200-$1500 range. You can find them without tremolos as well. Look for a DKMG or DKMGT they are great guitars with carved top alder bodies and EMG's for a good price here is a shot of mine:

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 28, 2017,
A good hardtail option would be a Godin Redline HB. They're discontinued, with superstrat bodystyle & hot HBs, and sold new for $500, so they're going to be in your price range, used. P

It's predecessor, the Velocity, is a HSS superstrat with a trem. They're also a good option, and will be $440+ used.

$500 - $600 will get you a used Jackson SL2 Pro Series Soloist in the USA if you aren't too picky about the color.  Where are you located in the world and are you willing to buy used?  
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
There are quite a few very decent guitars you can pick up in your price range used.  Any of the newer Jackson PRO series, the 90's Jackson Professional Series (different series completely, though similar names).  You can find Ibanez Prestige series in that range from time to time.  Those are VERY nice.  I would stick with Ibanez Prestige and early 90's Jackson Professional series. 

If you're really into using the tremolo, I would personally stay away from any Jackson with a Jackson Licensed bridge, or a Floyd Rose Special.  Now, let's confuse you, on some of the early 90's Jackson's they have bridges labeled "Jackson" or "Charvel", however they also say on them "Made in Germany By Schaller"  those are great bridges.  Ibanez uses it's own bridge called an "Edge"  I'm not really an Ibanez guy, though I've just started to get into them, but I believe the only really good one is the "Edge III".
ESP / LTD has some nice guitars in your price range. 
Get one of the older MIJ Jackson Dinkys like a DK2M or DKMG and put an Original Floyd Rose in it. They're insanely cheap guitars used, very high quality with good construction overall, with tight Japanese quality control and good pickups right out of the gate. Flat, thin necks with large frets and bound compound radius fingerboards.

They're the Game Genie of the guitar world; getting one makes you automatically win at everything.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by metalmingee
$500 - $600 will get you a used Jackson SL2 Pro Series Soloist in the USA if you aren't too picky about the color.  Where are you located in the world and are you willing to buy used?  

I live in the center of Québec in Canada. i'm not gonna lie if i can find one that is pink or sky blue that's definitely a great bonus   they seem pretty rare though ... anyways i'm looking for a low price quality guitar above everything else , i'm ok with used guitars but i would prefer a new one mostly because i'm not very familiar with the anatomy of the instrument still , i wanna make sure it's in good condition.

Thanks for all the help everyone , once again it's greatly appreciated i'm gonna keep on reading and looking online.
Last edited by Cassandra_Kitty at Apr 28, 2017,
Cassandra_Kitty for that price new you are in an in between tier where they look good (check out the Jackson SLX in pink) but the hardware is generally on the cheaper side and the Floyd is normally cheap (as its a Special on the Jackson). The pickups are generally not great either.

Check out Reverb . Com and see what will ship to Canada.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .

Happy hunting!

The Jackson SL3x Soloist look like a pretty solid guitar from what people seem to say ... it also looks fatanstic  
I unfortunately don't have the money right now to afford such a thing but maybe if i'm patient enough i could find one at a good deal.

What do you guys think about Dean custom zone ? Just out of curiousity.

Thanks.

- Cassandra
Cassandra_Kitty  Dean tends to have few fans here at lest for the lower end stuff.  haven't tried that one myself so can't say. 
I'm a Dean player: I own 2 and love what I have.

Generally speaking, though, the lower end Deans aren't worth your time. They're not competitively priced given their quality. Once you get past @$550 (new), that changes, and they're as worthy of consideration as anyone else's stuff.

Look for used. MIJ Ibanez and Jacksons are out there in that price range. Both are alright. I would personally look for a guitar with no trem. They stay in tune better and some of the crappy trems make it hard to bend and hit notes as any little tension pulls the entire thing out of tune.

I've been fiddling around with some of the Clone LP's, Epiphone has a few in that price, as does Agile. Quality on the ones in that price range can be hit or miss, but if you can find one in good shape that sounds good, they do great for hard rock and you can play some good metal tunes on it as well.
Quote by Cassandra_Kitty
The Jackson SL3x Soloist look like a pretty solid guitar from what people seem to say ... it also looks fatanstic  
I unfortunately don't have the money right now to afford such a thing but maybe if i'm patient enough i could find one at a good deal.

What do you guys think about Dean custom zone ? Just out of curiousity.

Thanks.

- Cassandra

I would personally avoid the X series Jacksons. Not because they're bad guitars, having neck thru construction is a pretty nice feature for their price and everything else about them is ok for the price compared to other brands. But every time I played one I cannot shake the sense that they're just an inferior version of the Pro series in every way. And even with upgrades, they still won't be on par with one.

I'd put the colour of the guitar lower down in your list of priorities and get a used MIJ Pro every single time.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
So i guess it's gonna be between a used ibanez and a Jackson , any specific models for my price range that you guys would recommend ? 

Also is 250$ USD a good deal for a 1996 Jackson DR3 Dinky Reverse MIJ with apparently light scratches ?

Thanks.
Last edited by Cassandra_Kitty at Apr 29, 2017,
have you looked at https://www.long-mcquade.com/ or https://www.axemusic.com/ ? They're where I do all my guitar shopping online, (I have the benefit of being in the same city as physical locations) They ship in Canada, Axe from Calgary, Long from Cornwall or something, I cant remember, and both are quite reasonable. they sell good brands with good Canadian prices.
Quote by SovietStar
have you looked at https://www.long-mcquade.com/ or https://www.axemusic.com/ ? They're where I do all my guitar shopping online, (I have the benefit of being in the same city as physical locations) They ship in Canada, Axe from Calgary, Long from Cornwall or something, I cant remember, and both are quite reasonable. they sell good brands with good Canadian prices.

Thank you very much

definitely gonna check it out. 
Quote by Cassandra_Kitty

Also is 250$ USD a good deal for a 1996 Jackson DR3 Dinky Reverse MIJ with apparently light scratches ?

It's an okay deal, but the MIJ Pro Series Jacksons are better. The DR3 comes stock with Duncan Designed pickups (basically cheap Seymour Duncan knockoffs) while the Pro Series guitars that come with Duncan pickups are actual Seymour Duncans.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It's an okay deal, but the MIJ Pro Series Jacksons are better. The DR3 comes stock with Duncan Designed pickups (basically cheap Seymour Duncan knockoffs) while the Pro Series guitars that come with Duncan pickups are actual Seymour Duncans.

Basically that. I've not been too impressed with any Dinky Jackson I've seen. Even the MIJ ones. I really wanted to love one that I bought but it was just bad. Sold it for my Ibanez and haven't looked back.

I've heard good things about Schecter. I see them often on the used market, for good prices. I don't know if that speaks to quality issues with the guitar, or the type of people who buy 8-string guitars as a beginner guitar.
Quote by BeefDrapes
Basically that. I've not been too impressed with any Dinky Jackson I've seen. Even the MIJ ones. I really wanted to love one that I bought but it was just bad. Sold it for my Ibanez and haven't looked back.

Curious. That's the first time I've heard someone say a single bad thing about them.

What wasn't to like about it?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The 2 I've had my hands on both had a fret buzz that would not go away, and the pickups were suspect.

In retrospect, my S470's pickups are suspect too. Every time I pick it up I die a little. Maybe my expectations were too high. I don't know.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Get one of the older MIJ Jackson Dinkys like a DK2M or DKMG and put an Original Floyd Rose in it. They're insanely cheap guitars used, very high quality with good construction overall, with tight Japanese quality control and good pickups right out of the gate. Flat, thin necks with large frets and bound compound radius fingerboards.

They're the Game Genie of the guitar world; getting one makes you automatically win at everything.

I just grabbed a minty DK2M for $240 from an old friend I always loved the look of them I plan an doing a NGD but the pics I took with my phone are too big to upload for some reason.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

dannyalcatraz I love my Dean also it is a Split Tail it listed for like $1200 new but sold in stores for $999 IIRC it is a great player fit and finish are on Par with any of my MIJ Import Jackson's the binding ad fretwork are excellent.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

BeefDrapes I big part of the low prices is the high volume these things were made in so the used market is saturated with them. I have 3 Dinky's and even my cheaper DXMG is a great player.

Ibanez RG and S series are similar in that there are a boatload of them on the used market and many different versions/levels of them so it can be hit or miss.

Generally I have found the MIJ Jacksons to be decent guitars at least from the $700 and up price point when new but that is my experience. I banez Prestige are great guitars but not as budget friendly.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge