I've been learning the minor pentatonic scale and practising a lot of improvisation with it.. Along the way I've hit a lot of 'wrong' notes, one of them being the flat fifth. It sounds so great to me added in to my solos.. Definitely add some edge and tension.. I have read that it is used in some jazz scales. Anyone else know what I'm saying or have any other notes that they like to add in?
Last edited by babysmasher at Apr 28, 2017,
You've been accidentally utilizing what is commonly known as the "blues scale" in your solos, which is similar to the minor pentatonic but has an added note between the fourth and the fifth, so essentially a flat fifth. The notes of an A blues scale would be A-C-D-D#/Eb-E-G-A for example.

To get some extra bluesy sound, try bending the third or the seventh of the pentatonic scale slightly sharp. Adds a lot of cool bluesy tension to your solos. Adding a major seventh is also pretty common since it's the leading tone, you can mess around with that.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
learn to harmonize the major (and minor) scales..the chords embedded in the scales will help you hear the scale in new ways..now there are three and four note chords that can be formed...the first third and fifth note of the chord (triads) - In the key of C -It would be C E G - 1 3 5 tones of the scale add the seventh tone of the scale and it is commonly called a "four note chord" -- C E G B 1 3 5 7

and to address your point about a "flat five" if you do learn the four note chords in the major scale..you will discover that the seventh chord of the scale is a minor 7th with a flat fifth - mi7b5..so in the key of C .. it would be a Bmi7b5....now some of the very cool things about scales and chords is some chords Don't need a root tone...they can formed without it...and in doing so they MAY be used as a different type of chord..in the case of the Bmi7b5 it could also be called and used as a G 9th chord..in this case the chord does not have a root-or need one...I wont go further but strongly suggest you study diatonic harmony and some theory..and watch your playing and understanding of music grow

btw--there are no "jazz" scales..they are just scales that jazz players may use in very interesting ways..but so do classical pieces..see Bach
play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Apr 29, 2017,
ain't nothing wrong with a b5!  aka #4 or #11.  I use it all the time over major chords (the lydian mode - so Cmaj7 = C D E F# G A B), over minor chords to get a 1/2 diminished sound, and over Dominant chords (G7 = G A B C# D E F) for starters!

Cheers,
Bryan

bryanclarkmusic.com