The question: What is your practice schedule/ routine?

The goal: The goal here is to post your schedule/routine and examples of what it would consist of. I always wanted to see how other people practice; especially as I started playing guitar. I personally am an intermediate player looking for a good way to practice. Other people may come here looking for a way to practice as a beginner. So below give us the layout of your schedule/routine. 

If your having trouble: You can give examples of time spent on an activity, the activity your doing, the different things you may do with an activity ( like finger exercises might be scales or a song interchangeably), and what type of music you play 
I play every day for about an hour, sometimes more, sometimes less if I'm performing that evening.

I start off playing notes, pieces of scales, and various chords in a kind of random way, easy and gentle, primarily warming up for a little while and focusing mostly on form - guitar position, hand and finger shape, thumb placement, picking hand, etc... just making sure that my form is right while I play various things to get warmed up... about 10 minutes. I can feel when when I'm ready; then I move on.

The next thing I do is review new things I've discovered. These might be chords or chord changes, melodic lines that interact with chords... there is always a collection of these things that I discover during performance - I make a mental note at that time so investigate them later when practicing. I will do that and explore ways to integrate them into things I understand. This may be as simple as inserting a passing chord or learning a new way to use a scale.

My focus is primarily song focused, so I move into a period of testing ideas by playing through songs and trying out the new ideas to see if they work in those contexts. Some of these experiments result in the application of the new thing to a specific song, but other times what I learn from the new thing is more general, so I test it in multiple song contexts to see how it sounds. One of my jazz bands plays original tunes that I have composed, so I usually spend some time working with new compositions, exploring and testing ideas.

There usually comes a point where I am fully warmed up and work through some of the more technically demanding part of some tunes... the ones that need warm and ready fingers and one's full attention to execute properly. After confirming that those are all good I tend to relax back into more random things in order to hear if anything interesting has still been waiting to emerge, which I will explore casually for a while... enough to remember it for later.

Then I clean up the guitar and put it away. I have played continuously for over four decades, so my practices are more mental than physical; I don't spend time doing drills or exercises as such, but I am playing steadily throughout the whole session. Everything I play in practice is answering the question, "What does it sound like and how would it be used musically in a song?"... I play Jazz & Blues.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
In the last time, i've noticed my technique-lack...
So i'm trying to focus on this more than anything else.. any way:

I start my practicing session (which is between 2-3 hours a day) by stretching and worming up for about 10 minuets..
Then i start my sweep picking exercise, i look where i've been yesterday (bpm) and i start at that bpm -30 to warm up, for example if i was yesterday at 140bpm then i'll start at 110bpm and when i reach that 130 again i try my best to keep it as clean as possible, and i DON'T increase the tempo unless it's totally clean.

Second thing is my alt. picking, which is really bad... Anyway, i've a few picking patterns (ascending and descending) that i practice, and the tempo principle here is the same as my sweep exercises.. DON'T increase the tempo unless it's CLEAN.

After that i move to my third section, which is some theory. At the meanwhile i'm learning triads and the theory behind them.. By the way, theory does not mean  learning with a pen and paper, you MUST apply that to your fretboard if you want to really understand it and be able to recall it when you are playing guitar..

Then i move to the last part of it, songs learning, I try to learn new songs/solos always by slowing them down and then gradually speed up when i'm comfortable.

At last i finish it by improvising over a backing track....
Give your self the time to be a Beginner... because no one started as a Professional.
First, I spend about 20 mins on "Guitar Aerobics", its a great book with cool daily exercises. Then I'll do some stretching, massage my fingers, get nice and relaxed. Then I'll dive into "Rock Discipline" for about an hour. If I have been good, I'll reward myself with some noodling. I like to spend some time after each routine to kind of reflect on what I just did. Instead of over doing it, I like to stop when I get to a point of actually learning something valuable and think about it. Then repeat later in the day. Things get in the way, its kind of funny, my friends think I have abandoned them. Told them I'm learning guitar, (ppffttt...wtf are you doing that for, come over and party man) Do people get jealous, I mean, do my friends not want to see me be good at something like this?

I'll also spend some time tone searching, just playing with amp settings and pick-up tones. I would say that I'm a beginner working hard to transition into the intermediate stage, so that simple playing around with tone is actually a helpful tool, and its super fun.
Flying in a blue dream
A bit of everything. I actually got tips on how to practice bass from TalkingBass.net, but I apply that to guitar. (With changes, of course.)

1. Reading ( Sight reading and fretboard memorization exercises. I use sheet music from my band class for sight reading, and I've created my own exercises for fretboard memorization. )
2. Song practice ( I work on about 8 songs at a time, learning/ practicing a decent sized part each day. If there is a technique I need to work on/learn, I learn it and practice in context of the songs.)
3.Ear training and transcription ( For this, I've begun some ear training exercises that start off easy, and I'm slowly building this up. Once I become confident enough, I'll try to start teaching myself to transcribe.)
4.Theory ( Very important. I can already read music, but I've been using Alfred's Essentials to study the nuts and bolts.)

It'll only be a year soon that i've been seriously teaching myself guitar, but I've found with a structured approach I can take very wide leaps.  I'm still a noob, though, so this still may not be the most perfect approach lol.
Intermediate player here--I start out with technique exercises to warm up and improve (usually scales with a metronome, spider exercise, and finger gym/legato exercise). Then I try to work on music theory, fretboard knowledge, chord changes, ear training, or new lessons. What I pick on any given day from that group is kinda random/kinda how I'm feeling/whatever seems to need the most work. Then, I spend the bulk of my time working on songs...I keep a playlist of songs I'd like to learn plus ones for the stuff my bands are working on. Time permitting, I try to spend some time dedicated to improv--working on new licks, or practicing over backing tracks. And lately, I've been trying to find time to just be creative--messing with chord progressions, using my looper, working on song ideas, etc.
it's changing all the time but I try to keep a structure and get real practice time in, not noodling on stuff I already have under my fingers.

90 mins a day on average, I try and break it down in 3 separate 30 min sessions of 10 minute (or smaller)  blocks, that way I stay interested and not get fatigued. 

session 1 : general/warmup

10 minutes of playing a scale, major, natural or harmonic minor, or anything else, just as a warmup 
10 minutes total of 2 min mini reps of 5 chord changes
10 minutes straight of playing all the chords in a key, sweeped/swept arpeggios or just strumming. 

session 2 : blues oriented

10 minutes of a basic 12 bar 1-4-5 blues (3 mins 1 to 4, 3 mins 4 - 5, 4 mins full 12 bar 1111-2211-5415)
20/25 minutes of  5 minute blocks each playing the 5 pentatonic shapes
5/10 minutes of trying to improvise over a backing track

session 3 : 

15 minutes of 3 x 5 minute blocks of scale sequences (1-2-3-4-, 2-3-4-5-... 1231-2342-3452...  1-3,2-4,3-5) etc of your scale of choice. 
15 minutes of learning a song

a very general example, and it's always changing but I try get in at least 90 minutes/day

may or may not use a metronome (it's not helpful a 100% of the times)

use a timer, all smartphones have it, and there's plenty of free desktop ones you can grab off the net

try make sure 100% of your practice time is actually spent practicing, not noodling/fiddling away on what you already know, try keep it challenging, balance fine tuning what you know and acquiring new skills.

it's working good for me for now but I'm still a novice just trying to get a good foundation, I'm sure it's much different for pro musicians.

for absolute beginners, half an hour a day of focused practice will yield results fairly quickly (say this from recent experience)

daily practice is the key, try not to skip or take too long breaks.
Last edited by dragonflyer at May 5, 2017,
colinjharding1 I play everyday for 2-4 hours instead of watching television or any other activity. I practice playing songs I like and want to play. The more you play the better you get. I have no routine. I just have hundreds of song and Play 10-20 of them everyday till I get thru them all then I start over. Each time adding some riffs that sound good each time and getting better each time I play the song.