hello,

what does make such a sound ? is this a chorus or something ? do I need to buy a real expensive strat ?

I never managed to have such a sound no matter what effect I used

starts at 0:53

Last edited by phil123456789 at Apr 28, 2017,
That is indeed a very nice clean tone he has going with a touch of gain. I think it's mostly the amp combined with the single coils.  He definitely has some thick reverb going on there but I don't think there is much in the way of other effects there.  Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I don't think he's using chorus at all. You're just hearing the chorus like "pulse" from the vibrato he's doing with the whammy bar. 
neck pickup and definitely reverb.  you don't need a real expensive strat however a nice amp and reverb unit would be required. 
Agree with those above. Don't need an expensive strat. Looks like a quilter amplifier behind him but didn't watch the entire video to see if this is what he was playing through.

A decent clean with reverb should get you there.
Did some more digging, and found this rig rundown:

Notably:
1) His reverb on that tour was a TC Electronics HoF.
2) In addition to reverb, he's using a transparent boost
3) He's using a Quilter Aviator combo and extension cab for his amp. (This means he's got at least 2 Quilters.)
4) He runs his EQ a little bass-heavy
5) In the comments to the video, he notes that he occasionally uses a Boss ME 80.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
got a 5150, I dont even know why they bothered having a clean channel on that amp, it's just pure crap

so for a low budget, what amp could give me such a sound ? is it possible to find a valve amp around 300$ or something ? 
Quote by phil123456789

so for a low budget, what amp could give me such a sound ? is it possible to find a valve amp around 300$ or something ?

Having seen his 201 and his Aviator, Quilter amps seem to be his thing. But even though that's going to figure heavily in shaping his tone, you don't need to buy either of those. Quilters are basically designed to sound like that as one of their primary tone options- their less expensive heads should deliver a very similar tone.
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/microblock-45
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/101-series

Example:

And I just found this steal:
https://reverb.com/item/5058777-quilter-aviator-gold-head

You'll need to get a cab for any of those heads, though. And I think Quilter combos start @$575 or so.

Of tube amps around your budget, a Peavey Delta Blues 115 might get you there:
https://reverb.com/marketplace/amps?query=peavey+delta+blues+1x15+combo&sort=price%7Casc

You might also consider looking for a Fender Bassbreaker 007 combo:
https://reverb.com/item/4677328-fender-bassbreaker-007-1x10-7w-tube-guitar-combo-amp

Quote by phil123456789
transparent boost ? what is that ?

A transparent boost is any pedal that is designed to or can be dialed in to boost your overall "punch" & volume without coloring the tone so much as to radically change how it sounds. Essentially, it's a subclass of overdrive pedals.

https://reverb.com/handpicked/transparent-boost-and-overdrive-pedals
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

- would the mxr (dyna comp?) have significant role in the hollow-tube kinda sound or is it more from the "heavy bass" EQ/amp thing ?
I never heard any difference with a compressor honestly (more like a volume thing to me)

- why would one need to "boost" the sound if it does not change the color ? intuitively one would just crank up the amp master or gain instead ? what's the difference ?

- so the microblock is an clean channel amp head replacement thingy?
Last edited by phil123456789 at Apr 29, 2017,
Quote by phil123456789
- would the mxr (dyna comp?) have significant role in the hollow-tube kinda sound or is it more from the "heavy bass" EQ/amp thing ?
I never heard any difference with a compressor honestly (more like a volume thing to me)

- why would one need to "boost" the sound if it does not change the color ? intuitively one would just crank up the amp master or gain instead ? what's the difference ?

- so the microblock is an clean channel amp head replacement thingy?

a compressor might help a little with the sustain. the boost hits the front end of the amp which does drive the amp into breakup at lower volumes it does add a little gain without changing the tone of the amp. 

for the budget you mentioned you could get a used 1st gen Peavey Valveking which does have a decent clean channel. 
Yeah. You're definitely not going to get that tone with a 5150. Most high gain amps don't have the pristine clean that these simple amps have. The one exception is rectos. I think rectos have GREAT cleans but I don't like their high gain tone.
The other thing a boost does is that it lets you make such a change on the fly, with the tap of a foot. Hard to change your amp's master volume or gain while soloing.

For a little example, check his pedalboard vid I posted @1:35 in- he demos his OD and his Boost back to back.

Not really a good option for a strat but I have the Kerry king EMG set installed in one of my guitars and it came with a boost switch which lets you have a boost switch right on the guitar. It's a bit overkill on already hot pickups but it's kind of cool to have a boost switch right on the guitar. It's called a PA2.
Quote by phil123456789
hello,

what does make such a sound ? is this a chorus or something ? do I need to buy a real expensive strat ?

I never managed to have such a sound no matter what effect I used

starts at 0:53

Good tone with reverb, he doesn't pause and hold long enough to tell if it's effected.
Also appears he is using a Quilter solid state amp, or just has one sitting in the background.
dannyalcatraz
I was thinking that's a mini 101 Quilter. Nope you were right at 1080 I can read toneblock on it.

Quote by phil123456789
got a 5150, I dont even know why they bothered having a clean channel on that amp, it's just pure crap

A Quilter amp will give you that sound, take a look at the Mini 101 or the newer version the Mini 101 reverb, or just get the Toneblock which is what that guy is using.
www.Quilterlabs.com

Quilter makes solid state amps, they are considered one of the better sounding SS amps and they take pedals just fine (including clean boost).
Watch a few youtube vids for enlightenment.

Or if you aren't in a hurry to drop that sort of cash grab a Quilter microblock for $150 brand new, 45 watts 4 ohm 33 watts 8 ohm.
Last edited by 33db at Apr 29, 2017,
33db
I missed the writing! I based my guess on the number of knobs and shape of the housing.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
33db
I missed the writing! I based my guess on the number of knobs and shape of the housing.

I'm seriously considering the new version of the 101 with limiter and reverb, but the tone block is only another $50 and has more power to grow with.

I sent a email to Quilter to clarify their warranty (3 years transferable) and got a reply from Pat Quilter himself, not sure if I should be surprised at that or not.
33db
I have a feeling that Pat has kind of retired from the assembly side of things and is more designing and running the company. I emailed them about sorting out the various amps based on tones I was looking at- Aviator or 101- and he personally broke stuff down and recommended the Mach 2.

I live in europe(belgium) an there it sucks donkey balls, so Quilter amps are out of my reach 

anyway, just came back from a store

thought myself I was gonna try a PRS SE , a mexican Strat , and the Fender Bass Breaker

- the PRS was an extremely disapointingly regular guitar, far from what I expected and from what I had heard

- once I played the strat I got THAT VERY SOUND I was looking for which is in the video, also tried a HOF reverb that brought the sound closer to the nice shimering sound in the video

- finaly thought I'd buy later a strat (not sure cos it ain't confortable to play, and I dont like single coils)

finaly went there with 300euros (max 600euros) to spend and finaly bought a ~900euros Fender Hot Rod amp :-)

lol, the seller has done his homework :-) but nice clean sound, the disto sucks, more like an overdrive but I got my trusty 5150 anyways 
Last edited by phil123456789 at Apr 29, 2017,
The HRD should make you happy for that tone- I own one. Happy axe-slinging!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
33db
I have a feeling that Pat has kind of retired from the assembly side of things and is more designing and running the company. I emailed them about sorting out the various amps based on tones I was looking at- Aviator or 101- and he personally broke stuff down and recommended the Mach 2.

Did you get it? What do you think?
Quote by 33db
Did you get it? What do you think?

Not yet. Just got an Orange TH30 I need to play with a while! But if it's as good as I think, my HRD may be unemployed next year...