I really love playing the guitar, I want to play all the time. I want to play right now, but for some reason, I pick up the guitar and it just doesn't compute. I have been playing for just under a year, learned all the pentatonic shapes, learned to improvise, beginning to actually memorize the fret-board. I also play the e mixolydian scale. I have come up with decent stuff, though I am still far from an advanced player, which is fine and expected. I have been in this situation before, and I also end up playing really good after a few days in a rut for some reason. Reading that, I am sure you are saying, then what is the problem? The problem is that I keep ending up in ruts, and I want it to stop. Forever. I want to always be able to pick a guitar up and play it nicely and fluently. 

Are there any ways to prevent ruts? I know everyone is different, some advice would just be appreciated is all. Thanks.
Quote by tmcginzie
I want to always be able to pick a guitar up and play it nicely and fluently.

I'm not sure if that's ever going to happen. Everybody has bad days. The better you become, the less bad your bad days will be, but you will still have them. You have been playing for less than a year so don't expect too much from yourself.

If you have a bad day, try to play something that always works. Start with some basic exercises, something that you are familiar with. Maybe start with slower tempo and slowly increase it. Make sure you are doing everything correctly.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
"Totally Stuck in My Playing" may be a symptom of being totally stuck in one's listening - what music are you listening to?
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Quote by tmcginzie
PlusPaul Primarily Hendrix and Pearl Jam

Well, there you go; now you know what to do - you need regular exposure to music you probably don't like. Being stuck in one's listening is like only eating cookies and ice cream. A musician can have their favorites just like anyone else, but the musician's ear requires a balanced diet of music in order to develop fully - including various styles from various times that you may not like.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.