Page 1 of 2
Can someone explain to me what "taking the piss" means? I looked it up and it seems to mean "someone playing a joke on another".

Also WTF is a chav? Is there an American equivalent?
Quote by Wikipedia, the #1 source for factual opinions
The Oxford English Dictionary defines chav as an informal British derogatory, meaning "a young lower-class person who displays brash and loutish behaviour and wears real or imitation designer clothes"
chav = council housed and violent, young thugs generally. I personally fucking hate the word and how it came into existence. The US equivalent would be a hoodrat type person, I think

and i dunno where to start with taking the piss tbh, its just one of those things you understand without having to think about it... it means to make fun of something, or more commonly someone. 
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Apr 28, 2017,
My British friend once told me taking the piss is pretty the equivalent of saying fucking around(in the non literal scenes)  
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Quote by Bladez22
chav = council housed and violent, young thugs generally. I personally fucking hate the word and how it came into existence. The US equivalent would be a hoodrat type person, I think

and i dunno where to start with taking the piss tbh, its just one of those things you understand without having to think about it... it means to make fun of something, or more commonly someone. 

Yeah no one seems to really be able to adequately explain taking the piss, perhaps because it can be used in more than one context.
I was hoping someone could translate these Guy Ritchie movies for me.

That hood rat thing seems too racially specific, but I think I get the chav thing.
Quote by UltimateGuizar
You takin the piss chav?

I own no Burberry.
Quote by The_Blode
^ taking the p*ss literally = are you joking?

chav don't exist in The US. . .but then again, Hill billies don't exist in the UK. . .

Truly? I thought the UK countryside was well stocked with yokels and bumpkins.
Quote by 33db
Yeah no one seems to really be able to adequately explain taking the piss, perhaps because it can be used in more than one context.
I was hoping someone could translate these Guy Ritchie movies for me.

That hood rat thing seems too racially specific, but I think I get the chav thing.

Chavs aren't really a real thing btw, it was a term invented by the media in order to shit on the working classes its a term that loosely describes young working class people who are very loud and brash

Yeah taking the piss can be used in a few different ways, it generally means to make a joke at someone's expense, either playfully or maliciously. The context and tone of the conversation is key are you familiar with the phrase "winding someone up" because that's the politer way to say it. like if I was telling a story to my nan I wouldn't say "yeah he was taking the piss", I'd say "Yeah he was winding me up"
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
Chavs aren't really a real thing btw, it was a term invented by the media in order to shit on the working classes its a term that loosely describes young working class people who are very loud and brash

Yeah taking the piss can be used in a few different ways, it generally means to make a joke at someone's expense, either playfully or maliciously. The context and tone of the conversation is key are you familiar with the phrase "winding someone up" because that's the politer way to say it. like if I was telling a story to my nan I wouldn't say "yeah he was taking the piss", I'd say "Yeah he was winding me up"

OK that makes sense, the chav comment reminds me of the term "millennial" which has become a common way to comment on and/or write off an entire generation.
I think I'll start using UK slang with my friends, see what happens.
^
yeah, the chav/hoodie term was used in a similar way by the media to milennial. A wide brush to tar an entire generation with before the media moved onto the immigrants
Quote by 33db

Im from the countryside, the locals are inbred and racist. lotta idiots who've never left this town
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Last edited by Bladez22 at Apr 28, 2017,
British: Take word, take first syllable, add "-ey" to the end.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
British people are so incredibly unintelligible. I wish they'd just learn to speak English.
Worth noting that chavs stop at the border.

In Scotland, they're called neds(the collective term for similarly aligned neds being 'fleeto' or 'young team').

Why are they drinking just a nice glass of beer?  Are they on some bar patio or something?

Don't you have 40s?
Wait, non-british people don't use the expression "taking the piss?" 

Are you taking the fucking piss, OP?
I have nothing important to say
chavs are tracksuit wearing hoodlums, generally poor with a poor upbringing and live in deprived areas 

taking the piss can mean to joke around or alternatively to do something which negatively affects another person in a small way, if someone does something for themselves with blatant disregard for others they are piss taking twats
I always thought chavs were the mirror image of ghetto youths in the United States.

In other words, white kids who try to be street but making everyone else groan in the process.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
Quote by snipelfritz
Why are they drinking just a nice glass of beer?  Are they on some bar patio or something?

Don't you have 40s?

m8 that's white lightning or smth similar

really cheap cider.

Or "hard cider" for u unitofags

Absolutely no idea why they brought glasses with them though
Last edited by whoomit at Apr 28, 2017,
(you edited that last sentence, that's the thing I was getting caught up on)

But why do they have glasses?  Did they take them from a restaurant, or do chavs just walk around with glasses?

I'd imagine they'd just pass the bottle around.
When you've got a full bladder (and are male) in the morning, you might wake up with an erection. Don't worry this is normal and yes your voice is breaking a lot.

But that stiffy isn't from arousal, but urine. It's a false erection. You might say you're piss-proud

so if someone wants to topple a false erection, they get a BIG FUCKING NEEDLE and take the piss
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
scottish lads: did we ever find out if neds really was an acronym for non-educated delinquents or was that something tagged on later on?

neds > chavs
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by snipelfritz

Don't you have 40s?

Of course we don't have 40s. What they have is a 3l bottle(so around 100 US fluid ounces) of Frosty Jack, a cheap, nasty-ass cider(about 7-8% abv) that costs about $3, give or take.

And they're standing on a footpath next to the Clyde. 
Quote by steve_muse scottish lads: did we ever find out if neds really was an acronym for non-educated delinquents or was that something tagged on later on?    neds > chavs

Pretty sure it's a backronym. OED says it's 19th century.
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Apr 28, 2017,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Worth noting that chavs stop at the border.

In Scotland, they're called neds(the collective term for similarly aligned neds being 'fleeto' or 'young team').

There's some likely looking lads...
This thread is all sixes and sevens, bells and whistles but none of that jwah de veev

some codger havin a chinwag down the rub-a-dub was tellin' me of his missus and this other geezer who was askin hows ya father

anyway long story short, dont do arse about face with ya rubbers or it leaves a mess in the lady garden
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Wolfinator-x 

Sort of - you have two distinct sorts of Chav. Whilst both sets do try to give the appearance of being 'street', you have one set who hail from fairly respectable, middle class families who, for whatever reason, feel that it is their identity. And then you have those that are at the bottom of the pile, the working class (or, more often than not, non-working class). 
Originally to be found wearing fake Burberry scarves and hats, and varying combinations of track suits and trainers. There has been an evolution - you are most likely to see males wandering around wearing ridiculous small bags, that look like females handbags (I believe called purses in America).
Chavs operate in groups and tend to be loud, brash and give the appearance of being threatening. If, however, one is separated from the group, they are weak and likely to become much more quiet and near bearable. 

I should point out, however, that there is some crossover with those that are genuinely 'street' - whilst we don't have the ghetto as such, there are areas in most towns and cities that are similar to the ghetto. As a general rule, chavs from these areas are close to the real deal. 

This is certainly the case in Essex, other areas may have different experiences. 
darthbuttchin
Hmm, that does clear things up a bit!

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

Quote by 33db
OK that makes sense, the chav comment reminds me of the term "millennial" which has become a common way to comment on and/or write off an entire generation.
I think I'll start using UK slang with my friends, see what happens.
so long as you pronounce "twat" so that it rhymes with "hat" and not "what", you're good to go.

Other phrases that are synonymous with "taking the piss":
Having a laugh
Taking the Mickey/Mick
Having a giraffe
Having [you] on
Making fun of [you]
Joking with [you]

Taking the piss is probably​ the most aggressive way to ask someone if they're serious about something they've said. Also handy for noting idiocy, for example:
Q - "Do they do chicken in Nandos?"
A - "Are you taking the piss?"
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
so long as you pronounce "twat" so that it rhymes with "hat" and not "what", you're good to go.
buncha twuts, all of them

Quote by 33db

We just call them Romanians.
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
SDMF#UG003-pantera-nat124
darthbuttchin
It's way simpler than that. The chav stereotype is essentially the classic white people trying to be black situation, but with a strong classist undertone so you know they're like that because they're poor and we're different. Because we read Private Eye instead of newspapers or something.

Honestly, though, I don't hear it all that often anymore.

Quote by OddOneOut
Other phrases that are synonymous with "taking the piss":
Having a laugh
Taking the Mickey/Mick
Having a giraffe
Having [you] on
Making fun of [you]
Joking with [you]
My favourite is "having a bubble".
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Apr 28, 2017,
A chav is when you go to the Internet and you look up the definition of a word in five seconds before you ask.
Free Ali
Quote by 33db
Can someone explain to me what "taking the piss" means? I looked it up and it seems to mean "someone playing a joke on another".

Also WTF is a chav? Is there an American equivalent?

Taking the piss = making fun of/being sarcastic towards ones comments/appearance/actions. Best friends are known to rip the piss out of each other as a sign of admiration for one another.

Chavs are hard to explain.
Last edited by Verz at Apr 29, 2017,
Taking the piss essentially means fucking someone around. Depending on the context and whether or not the two people know each other, it could either be a kind of throwaway comment (if it's two friends, in a light hearted way), or an aggressive expression (someone says "are you taking the fucking piss, mate?" to a stranger).

Quite a few English expressions have a similar thing where it can be used in jest with mates, or used in an abusive tone against someone else.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by snipelfritz
(you edited that last sentence, that's the thing I was getting caught up on)

But why do they have glasses?  Did they take them from a restaurant, or do chavs just walk around with glasses?

I'd imagine they'd just pass the bottle around.
my best guess is that they're at a wedding
Page 1 of 2